• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anybody have IBS, or IBD that had Gastric Bypass?

Hi everyone I guess I am really a newbie because I am only just beginning this process but by no means is this my first attempt. Ive finally found an employer that hasnt specifically excluded straight out the gate and by what Im reading I should start the process now for what I want to a surgical date in late spring to early summer so my FMLA will be available. My main question is has anyone had or has IBS ( Irritable bowel syndrome) or IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and been able to go through with the surgery. Which procedure you chose and have you had any improvement with the surgery. I ask because I dont get specific answers from my GI Doc and have yet to sit down with a surgeon, I know its possible but was curious. I have known about the surgery for over ten years now and have had a friend go through RNY and watched her success and her failures. She was sadly not compliant with nutrition and paying the price with a lifetime of blood transfusions and a few other issues with her liver, much by her own actions. But nonethe less seen her weight loss. It makes me shy away from the RNY so really the Sleeve or Oband are really what Im looking at.

Hi Blu, Welcome. I can't answer your IBS/IBD question but if you attend a bariatric seminar they should be able to answer those questions for you since they see hundreds of patients a year with all kinds of different medical conditions so you should not be the first to ask that question. Sorry to hear your friend didn't do well with her WLS but it can happen to anyone who chooses not to follow the meal plans and vitamin regimine, it really helps to continue with all the follow up appointments with your doctors, go to support group meeting on a regular basis, continue with your newly learned healthy eating habits and take your vitamins. I am not going to tell you one surgery is better than the other however you shouldn't rush to judgement against one or the other because somone you know had a bad experiance, that can happen with all the WLS if we don't follow our prescribed plan and even if we do there is still a small percentage of people who have complications regardless of the type of WLS surgery. So go to Bariatric seminar ask questions and if you feel that this is for you talk with the nutritionist, surgeons, and nurses for advice, they are the experts and don't want to see you fail and will let you know what would work best for you but ultamately you will have to decide. Good luck and let us know what you decide. :cool: Tom

IBS after Bariatric Surgery

I would like to know if anyone has experienced the onset of IBS post Bariatric Surgery. I had Bariatric Sleeve Surgery in October 2013, and when I transitioned to phase IV of the diet plan (Solid Food), I started to experience severe abdominal pain. This pain has continued off and on since December of 2013. I have had tests: blood tests, and upper endoscopy, abdominal utra-sounds, etc, etc; and they have turned up nothing negative. The Bariatric Surgeon says everything is fine, but I remain in agony without any adequate answer. Doing my own research, I now think I have IBS caused by the inflammation of my intestinal nerves as a result of this surgery. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Back