• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else freak out & gain weight pre-surgery

Chel_h

I am having a little issue with the whole give up everything and drink 2 protium shakes a day(YUK) and have a piece of chicken and broccoli for dinner for the rest of my life. Had a bit of a binge. Gained weight. My insurance requires that I lose 10 pounds prior to surgery. I had lost 20 before even going to the surgeon and kept it off for like 5 months. Now I'm up 15. So need to lose 25 in one month to even be eligible for the surgery. I'm really annoyed at myself and don't know what I'm gonna do if I get denied. Anyone else have a similar situation?

hi.brand new to this site but glad I found it.1 month in after sleeve surgery.the 1200 calorie a day pre op diet is brutal.1200 calories is not much for any person.i couldn't stay on that low of calorie but what I did was drink and eat protein bars and shakes all day and had about what ever I wanted for dinner.this will cut down on calories per day because you are not eating bad food all day.remember it takes 3500 calories to equal or lose a pound.you will do great.

I know what your saying about the shakes, can't wait to have real food. My wife is keeping me inline, Carnation instant breakfast in the morning 2 shakes for lunch and dinner. My surgery is Feb. 3 and the diet does get boring, popsicles and Jello does help even a smoothie with diet splash and low fat greek yogurt. I have since Dec. dropped from 377lbs. to 340lbs. hope this helped, keep going I feel you can do it!

I am having a little issue with the whole give up everything and drink 2 protium shakes a day(YUK) and have a piece of chicken and broccoli for dinner for the rest of my life. Had a bit of a binge. Gained weight. My insurance requires that I lose 10 pounds prior to surgery. I had lost 20 before even going to the surgeon and kept it off for like 5 months. Now I'm up 15. So need to lose 25 in one month to even be eligible for the surgery. I'm really annoyed at myself and don't know what I'm gonna do if I get denied. Anyone else have a similar situation?
I had that issue of eating all the stuff I know I can't after surgery... I had to take a moment and get back into the right frame of mind... I have been eating eggs in the morning now for a mth or so now it is a habit to eat scrambled eggs in the morning, Then a kind light lunch or a big salad, and a reg meal around 5 so I can still have time to be active enough to have my body do its thing. I have also found that walking once or twice a day helps a lot to... I have always had the issue to boredom eat, and pain to stop me from doing the exercise. If I find myself getting bored or thinking about food when it not a meal time, I go for a 20-35 min walk.... I am a disable Vet so I have the ability to go walking at any time. Don't know your situation, if you can try that do it. It helps, plus you feel better with the fresh air... If it is to cold go to a store and window shop......
Just remember your goal and why you want to do this and the weight will come off... Got to stay positive... You got this we have faith in you.... Get motivated. As far as protein shakes they do get old quick. I have been using GenePro Medical grade Protein powder, I get the tasteless one and it is truly tasteless. Mixes with anything... I have also switched what I am drinking water which really isn't my favorite thing to drink, so I got crystal light... It has a good taste. Hope something in this rambling can help you.
Remember you are stronger then the need to binge eat. after surgery you can still eat alot of thing you use to but in smaller amount... We believe in you, You got this.. Now Kick some ..........

I had the same thing happen to me I gained like 11 pounds. I did lose it but have had a hard time losing more. I am afraid they will deny my surgery because I didn't lose enough and it's making me feel so discouraged.

Hi, I am new to site and finding it very helpful. Currently going through my 90 days preop. Started 2 protein shakes a day the end of July. I don't struggle during the day with the shakes. The problem is at night. I get hangry and most of the time fail miserably.

I am the same way. I am active and busy during the day so I don't even think about food. At night though I get ravenous.

Back