• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else going through this?

ascooke63

Anyone else thinking this You have to eat such and such just one more time before surgery, cause you will never be able to eat again after surgery so basically you are blowing your diet trying to eat all those favorites just one more time? How do you get over this mindset?

ASCOOKE-That can be a tough one to overcome if you think you can't eat those foods ever again. The truth is that eventually you will be able to eat almost everything again, in moderation. There will be a few things you might have to cook a little differently so that you will not be eating large amounts of fats and carbs, especially sugar.

Things are so much easier for those of us who have had or are having bariatric surgery now than is was for people just 10 short years ago. The surgery itself is safer and can be done laproscopically and there are specialty foods available now that were unheard of 10 years ago before bariatric specialty foods, especially the all important proteins. Most people had to depend on powdered milk to add to their foods to get their protein in. Now we have low carb-high protein shakes. We can buy things like low carb pancake and baking mix, pastas like spaghetti with or without meat balls and mac and cheese, high protein fruit drinks, hot chocolate, desserts, cereals, tortillas, bread, chili, soups, stew, snacks, protein bars, flavored syrups, etc. The choices are almost endless and are only limited by our imagination.

During the last week pre-surgery that I was allowed to eat solid foods I sat down and wrote a list of my favorite things. Although I was planning on having one favorite each day I ended up having my 2 very favorite things on the last 2 days. Even now I don't miss or crave my favorite things because I know I can eat them anytime but in moderation. It's all about controlling the amounts of fats and carbs, everything else is allowed.

Hi Ascooke. Yes I did feel that way and yes I ended up gaining a couple of pounds before I went on my two week pre surgery diet plan and thats what it felt like a diet:mad: It brought back all the memories of trying diets before I decides on the WLS. I did have what I called my last meal LOL:rolleyes: Steak (t-bone) and potatoes with all the fixins, but I didn't know then what I know now, it really wasnt the last time I would be able to have what I liked to eat, had I known then what I know now I would have gone for the lasagna:eek: Thats my favorite. Everything in moderation except the lasagna I still dont want to try that pasta has made me dump so I will wait a few years and then make it myself. So just dont over due it you will be able to eat most of the things you can eat pre surgery it will just have to be in moderation. :cool: Tom

Hi ascooke. I totally understand what you are saying, but for myself, I'm trying to get a new mindset on food before my surgery. It just shouldn't be that important. Others have said that one or two bites of your favorite foods satisfies post-op. I'm hoping that's true because it would be a whole new way of eating for me. [as mother said, CLEAN YOUR PLATE!]
I have tons of food allergies, so I have already experienced the grief of giving up favorites. But I have found substitutes for some of my favorites, in particular, sunflower nut butter instead of peanut butter. Some even have something hard in them that pretend to be peanuts, but is probably ground glass.
Anyway, I pray that you can accept the changes that relationship with food will take so that you will be successful with your sleeve.

Thanks guys ive been doing pretty good until the last week or two but I have had some stressers going on too. Im all for the new mindset thinking and have been working on that too.It seems that everything revolves aroung food. parties social gatherings church activites all about food and snacks. sometimes i think people look and say wow what a big girls she must really like to eat lets feed her. LOL! I hate this waiting game maybe surgery will come soon.

I am having the same issues....having surgery in 3 weeks and start my pre-op diet on sunday. Been eating the things I think I won't be able to have...like sugar and pasta. I call it a food funeral.

I had the sleeve and was able to eat up until the day before my surgery when I had to go to clear liquids. Maybe this is why I didn't feel I needed to fit things in. Actually I lost 8 pounds in about 2 weeks before surgery running around trying to get stuff done at work before I went out. I think I was eating only 2 meals a day and have never been a snacker. I also have food limitations due to a medical condition. Four years ago I found a way to reduce my vertigo attacks by eliminating many foods. I haven't had chocolate, caffiene, citrus, no msg products and the list goes on. For me having an immediate consequence, a vertigo attack, made me more then willing to give up the foods that triggered it. I think the same is true for the surgery. I have not eaten anything that is not on my food plan. I also eat the amounts I am told to. I am hoping that I will be as successful with this food plan as I am with the other. Good luck to you and remember you will be able to eat again. After surgery, you will probably not be hungry and trying to get down your water, protein and vitamins will seem like too much. Things do get better. Work with your nutritionist and you should do well. It appears from what I read in some threads that bypass patients can eat a more varied diet sooner then sleeve patients. I was told not to try beef for 3-6 months after surgery. Again good luck and let us know how you are doing.

I just started a 2 week protein shake diet prior to my upcoming surgery, but the 2 weeks before tha started, i couldnt eat enough stuff that i love. I must have gone out to eat 10 tiimes in 2 weeks. I did go a little nuts. In the back of my mind, however, was my surgeon's directions that if i weighed one ounce more on the day of surgery than i did when i first saw her, she wouldnt do the surgery. I figured that the 2 week diet before the surgery would solve that issue- i certainly hope i am right!!

Do all doctors require you to go on a one or two week diet prior to surgery? Nothing's been mentioned to me about it, yet. If I have to lose 3 or 4 pounds prior to surgery, I'm sunk. Due to medicines that slow my metabolism and cause weight gain, losing weight is nearly an impossibility.

Barbara J
When did you say you see the surgeon ? Have you went to a w/l seminar? They had me see a nurse practioner, insurance lady, physical therapist and a nutrionist and do a psychological test on a computer where you answered many questions about ourselves and how we relate to food and if we eat when sad, happy for pleasure etc. I don't think there's a "fail" answer it just gives them an idea why we've made the choice to use w/l surgery as a tool to help us loose the weight we want off so we can be healthy for life.
I know you have mentioned medications that have caused weight loss, I know some diabetic med, and anxiety and depression med and cortisones etc lists goes on that cause weight gain. been there done that. It's a nightmare you try so hard and it seems scales don't want to show the efforts you've put forth. I have recently been trying to add more protein to my diet and it seems to help some pounds have came off, thank you GOD for my surgeon told me I needed to loose 25 lbs before surgery.15 off and surgery is in 27 days I need another 10 or more pounds off. he said it would make the surgery go easier on me cause he is fixing my herniated stomach plus doing the bariatric surgery and cutting me open to do it all at once. With GOd's help I will weigh what the dr recommended before my surgery date. I will keep you informed how things are going for me.
Donna

Do all doctors require you to go on a one or two week diet prior to surgery? Nothing's been mentioned to me about it, yet. If I have to lose 3 or 4 pounds prior to surgery, I'm sunk. Due to medicines that slow my metabolism and cause weight gain, losing weight is nearly an impossibility.

Barbara-most surgeons require the 1 or 2 week pre-op liquid diet. The reason for this is to shrink your liver so the surgeon has more room to work laproscopically. Losing weight during the pre-op diet is an added bonus for most people but some don't lose any weight so don't stress over it too much. If you are told to follow the diet it's important to do so.

I'm really glad to hear that news - the not losing weight news. I'd been stressing out on that one. Do you stay hungry for that time period?

Do you have to give up coffee, too? I've heard that but don't know if it's true. I drink it with 0 calorie creamer, but it does have a few carbs.

Barb-I'm not going to sugar coat anything, the pre-op diet can be rough at times but after a couple of days it becomes routine. Mine was a modified full liquid diet that allowed things like hot cereals, instant potatoes, protein drinks and raw veggies. This was much easier to follow than a clear liquid diet. Most people are told to stop caffinated coffee after surgery for 3 months but I'm pretty sure that it's OK before surgery. I don't know about the creamer but milk or cream is OK. The dry creamer may be bad for the liver so you will need to check with the nutritionist. I hope you only have to follow the liquid diet for only 1 week, not 2 weeks :) :) :)

Barbara, I don't think anything is standard with these procedures. It seems like either the doctor, the nutritionist, and/or the insurance companies have different philosophies about what should be done. I was given a metabolism test that showed I have the metabolism of someone 20 years younger, so they told me I could probably go on a higher calorie diet post-op than most of their patients. ??? Go figure.
If they require you to lose weight before the procedure it's not to punish you or stress you out, but if there is less fat around the liver it makes the surgery easier.

My husband and I have had a consult with the surgeon, started the insurance pre-authorization process with the doctor's office insurance coordinator, and I've had my blood work. Week after next, my husband and I have a 2-hour consult with the psychologist and see the nutritionist the same day. Oh, and I've also seen the nurse practitioner. The insurance coordinator told me that getting my insurance to cover the surgery was going to be easy and to expect surgery sometime during "pumpkin season". I also have to have an endoscopy done, have some cardiac testing done, and a couple more things I can't think of at the moment. The medicines that created my weight loss problem in the first place were depression meds. I'll have to stay on them the rest of my life. I've also had several cortisone injections in my spine, because I have some really serious back problems. I'm also starting a 6-week smoking cessation class week after next. I've been cutting back for some time now and know I not only should quit - but have to quit forever to avoid complications after having the gastric bypass. Nothing's been mentioned, however, about dieting prior to the surgery. I would like it if you'd keep me informed on how your surgery goes.

Barb-Looks like things are moving right along for you and your husband. I remember how excited, scared, nervous and happy I was when all of this was going on. It's was one big emotional rollercoaster ride. When you meet with the nutritionist you will find out about any pre-surgical diet and your post surgical meal plans. Although I thought I was hungry for the week I had to follow the diet it was more head hunger not stomach hunger. Everything will fall into place and before you know it your surgery day will be here :) :) :)

I'm impatient and want to have the surgery "today". I'm finding myself snacking more in the evening than ever before.

I can't believe it, but I put a face on this message, and the program wiped out almost all of the message. That's the way things are going in my life right now.

The reason I'm so anxious and stressed out is the fact that if I have the surgery prior to year-end, I'll have to pay $900 or less out-of-pocket. If I have it after year-end, I "did" know that it would cost $2,500 out-of-pocket. I'm now not sure how much it will cost after the first of the year, because I received a letter a couple of days ago stating that Dupont is dumping all it's retiree's onto the open market as far as medical and dental insurance. I'm sure you know how these company's work. Anytime they make a change in the insurance, it's for their benefit. The employee always ends up paying more. They're giving us a "pittance" to help cover the premiums.

Once I see the psychologist and nutritionist, do you know if things will start happening fast?

Barb...

Barb-Each insurance moves along at its own pace but once you get clearnace from the psychologist and nutritionist and your PCP gives your surgeon the OK, things should pick up. Depending on how booked up your surgeon is will determine when you are assigned a surgery date.

I must be one of the lucky ones I was just told I couldn't gain any wait before the surgery. Lucky I am staying consistent no up or down I have a very low metabolism also. I am trying to not think of any food as my last meal I am trying to look at the future as healthy foods will be my favorite meals in the future.

hfricke-Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see a good attitude just before surgery :) Once you go through the different meal plan phases you can still have your favorites but in moderation and cooked in a healthy way :) With an attitude like yours you are sure to succeed :)

Back