• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone else have gastric sleeve surgery after having the band removed?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I had a lap band put in 8 years ago. I did well for several years until my dad got sick and had several family and relationship problems. I started vomiting a lot and finally had to have it removed almost 3 years ago. I went to an eating disorder clinic and feel that I am ready to try surgery again (sleeve). I'm nervous because:
1/ My family saw how much I vomited and could only eat yogurt for a long time and they are worried for me.
2/ No one close to me gets how I feel and the struggles of being a compulsive overeater. They think diet and exercise are all that I need.
3/ This surgery is not reversible and if I have complications - I'm stuck with them for life.

I am looking for any input - good or bad regarding this procedure and your own personal experiences.
I still can cancel the surgery if I decide to. I believe I truly want it but there is great fear.

Thanks.

Hi, I had the lap band in 2012. It was a nightmare for several reasons. First and foremost I could never get the fill right for it to be beneficial. Two weeks ago I had the gastric sleeve. I am so nervousness and afraid of another failure. I know that weight loss surgery only provides us with the tools we need to lose weight but when you are an emotional eater how do you fix that. I'm trying. I'm struggling to get theses portion control down and I know I will. But I am afraid.

Thanks for replying. That is how I feel. I am afraid of failing again. Is your family supportive? How are you feeling? I hope that you are feeling ok.

My family for the most part are as supportive as can be expected. They don't really understand the struggle and feel all I have to do is stop eating. I also have a depressive disorder that keeps me down sometimes but I have made a commitment to myself for myself to hang in there. This is very very hard. I feel ok most days. I just started eating creamy soft foods. Everything still gives me heartburn and I get full VERY easily. I am so happy for someone to talk to

Hello, I to had a band put in in Dec of 2007. Was unable to get the right fill and was never able to get the result I expected from the band. I am scheduled to have the band removed and the sleeve done on Aug 5th! Very excited but scared I will fail again. I have fought my weight all my life and am worried I will not be able to live up my own expectations, let alone that of the Diet restrictions. I'm glad to hear that you fill up very easy, do you feel hungry? What about the side effects, did you have problems with vomiting, reflux, etc.? I have been reassured by my Dr. that vomiting is not normal and that I need not worry about it.

Just pick a good hospital and Dr. with lots of experience and you'll do fine. I have faith that I will do fine also. Just scared of the life changes I will have to make after the surgery and hope I don't fail in my weight loss.

Back