• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone ever go to Mexico for surgery?

Txgirl

I'm 5'1 I weigh 200lbs I have been approved for gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico on June 16. I have had several friends and acquaintances go there and had great successes. Just really nervous. I am doing the right thing? Am I mentally prepared? This is a life altering decision!
I started the pre op diet two days ago and have already lost 4 lbs. I've only told a few people and none are family except my husband who simply said "do you really NEED to do that" .

I looked into it, but ultimately decided to get it done here because I read that insurance may deny paying for any complications you may have. I didn't want to risk it.

I see you're from Texas. Any chance near the Austin area? I could refer you to where I went. They were awesome about getting insurance to cover my procedure! It was very hassle free. I went in expecting to pay out of pocket, but they made it happen. Let me know!

I see you're from Texas. Any chance near the Austin area? I could refer you to where I went. They were awesome about getting insurance to cover my procedure! It was very hassle free. I went in expecting to pay out of pocket, but they made it happen. Let me know!
i don't have insurance and i live in the houston area

Txgirl,
I know several people who have, including the phlebotomist at my doctor's office. She just went about two months ago and she said it was nicer than most hospitals she has seen. She has had no issues and it ended up costing her less than what it is costing me with my insurance. I have to pay a $2,000 deductible plus my insurance will only pay if I go to Pennsylvania or California so I am having to pay quite a bit for airfare and hotels. My surgery is on August 2 (roux-en-y) and I am 200 lbs and 5ft tall. I am sure everything will be fine.
Good luck on your new journey.

Back