• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Anyone have diabetes cured with the bypass?

This topic had a last thread in October 2016. Will my surgery cure my diabetes?

Doug
Hi Doug, I know at least 8 people with this surgery 3 being diabetic, and they no longer are.. With it happens for you or I time will tell, my doc says it most likely be cure but to be considered cured got to be symptom free for 3 years. The out look is on the yes side from the stats I have seen. Hope that helps.

I can only speak for myself, but I am now 7 days’ post op and I am off all of my diabetic medication with the exception of my long lasting insulin but the dose for that has been cut in half. I had an appointment today with my nurse practitioner and she said that the long lasting insulin will likely be eliminated in a few weeks.

I am off all my type 2 meds. blood sugar test in normal range,,, and with the diet before surgery and now A1C has come down I so excited...... Normal next time :)

Damn I just looked at your number on current weight compared where you were when you started, your doing great. what a rock star..... Keep up the good work and you will meet your goal in no time....
Thank you so much, you have no idea how great that makes me feel, and you also will do great, 63 more lbs and I will be at my goal weight, but it doesn't come off very fast, it will for you though, thanks again : )

Back