• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

"April is the cruellest month"

So, this is a story about a young man named George. George had a sister named Harriett and she was married to John. George and John were great friends and jammed on the guitar and the fiddle as often as possible.

I met George in 1977 and he had just turned 22. I had just gone through a horrible trauma and had ended up back in my family's hometown, in a deep depression. I was 26.

There are no words to describe how George changed my life but he changed the lives of many people at the same time. He is without a doubt the most important person I have ever met. I memorialized his life by writing a novel about him called The Gospel According to George. I have never finished it, and it has never been published.

He stayed in my town and touched many lives for a few months. Then he left to return to his family home in Kansas City Missouri. A year later he was in an accident that rendered him a paraplegic. He was in a coma for an entire year. And when it was all said and done he suffered traumatic brain injury and a withered right arm and useless legs. Eventually, he lost his ability to say words.

Long story short, eventually his parents moved him from Kansas City to the town of Snohomish, Washington, to a rehab center, just north of me.

Fast forward to March, 2020. I got an email from Harriett, telling me she had some news about George she needed to share. I was already a wreck from this threat of a worldwide plague and when I saw her email I started shaking uncontrollably. Multiple sedatives and several hours later, I phoned her.

Harriett told me that George had died after multiple UTIs. A urinary tract infection is always dangerous for paraplegics because they don't know that they have one. And a UTI can kill because the E coli bacteria just magnifies until your entire body is septic, and that's what happened to George, just before his 64th birthday.

The tragedy didn't stop there. I marshaled together all the people I knew who had known George so they could send photos and stories to Harriet to create a memorial online for him. It amazed me that Harriett was able to do what she needed to do, considering the fact that her husband John had Lewy Body dementia. If you don't know what that is, just let me say that Robin Williams committed suicide after suffering from it for a short time. I can't even imagine an illness that leads to death that is worse than that.

After several days of emails being exchanged and phone calls being made, Harriett published the online Memorial. The next day, her husband John died. So not only had Harriett lost her little brother, but she lost her husband within a 3 week span of time.

For 42 years I have been part of this family's life because of George. The effect of this relationship just gets bigger and bigger and bigger all the time. I'm not even going to tell you the million details that made George and his family so special, but I seriously doubt many people are lucky enough to have had the experience I did.

So I'm not going to say more about that. It just was a more devastating event than COVID-19 could even try to be. I have spent the last several weeks in a state of depression so bad that I barely even know the difference between reality and illusion.

That doesn't explain my absence from the group, which came about for different reasons. The thing I did when I stopped posting here was I went looking for an online group that addressed PTSD, which I have had all my life. Like many of you, I experienced a traumatic childhood, filled with abuse of every type you can mention. I know I will never be okay but I have been able to adjust to being "good enough," because that is all I can ever expect: to be good enough.

Right now I am waiting for a phone call or text message from my pharmacy and then I'm going to go pick up some prescriptions and mail some sympathy cards.

I feel like I'm in quicksand, but it looks like I'm going to be able to get myself out of it before it kills me. Today truly is the first day of the rest of my life, as it is everyone's. Cherish what you have. Even if you are discouraged and demoralized and you think life is not worth living because horrible things have happened to you since the pandemic began, just take one moment. Count your blessings. You have more blessings than you know. Try to think of the horrors others are experiencing.

Then if you are still depressed about a bad post-surgical outcome or the hundreds of pounds you may be carrying on your frame, try to realize that that is small beer compared to what the rest of the world is feeling.

What is happening to you is important. But the fact that you are here, in this group, looking for love and support, just shows that you have an option. A lot of people don't. Once you put things in perspective, you can start to grow and heal and hope. And believe me, you will survive this and you will be happy again.

Attachments

• LookingIn.jpg
    LookingIn.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
The Waste Land

By T. S. Eliot

FOR EZRA POUND
IL MIGLIOR FABBRO

I. The Burial of the Dead

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.
Bin gar keine Russin, stamm’ aus Litauen, echt deutsch.
And when we were children, staying at the arch-duke’s,
My cousin’s, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened. He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight. And down we went.
In the mountains, there you feel free.
I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter.

What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow
Out of this stony rubbish? Son of man,
You cannot say, or guess, for you know only
A heap of broken images, where the sun beats,
And the dead tree gives no shelter, the cricket no relief,
And the dry stone no sound of water. Only
There is shadow under this red rock,
(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Frisch weht der Wind
Der Heimat zu
Mein Irisch Kind,
Wo weilest du?

“You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
“They called me the hyacinth girl.”
—Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
Looking into the heart of light, the silence.
Oed’ und leer das Meer.

I don't know that there is anything any one of us could say to make any of this better for you, yet we humans all seem to "need" to try to either relate or "fix" it, which IMHO cheapens and demeans what someone is going thru (unless of course someone has been thru something so similar that they do know what you are going thru). I won't attempt to say I know at all what you are going thru, but I am so sorry for your loss and what you are experiencing right now. I am glad you are seeking out support and help. You are such a huge part of the DNA of this group, and your presence was sorely missed in the day to day. I hope that you are able to start healing from the loss of your friend, and that you find exactly what you need to help you deal with the PTSD.

Thank you, El, Bill, 3mom. I know what you mean, El. It took me two days to write what I wanted to say in my sympathy card to Harriett. There was no way I could sympathize appropriately with her, considering the horrors she had just experienced.

this is what speaks to me:

Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.

Richard Bach,
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Thank you, El, Bill, 3mom. I know what you mean, El. It took me two days to write what I wanted to say in my sympathy card to Harriett. There was no way I could sympathize appropriately with her, considering the horrors she had just experienced.

this is what speaks to me:

Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.

Richard Bach,
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Sorry just doesn't say enough. You've been missed and I hope you've found your PTSD group and adjusted meds help.

Thank you, Brenda. It's good to see you.

Ironically, the PTSD group I joined didn't have any "gurus" enrolled. Everyone there was as lost as I am where this is concerned. And I haven't started any new meds because I haven't found a new psychiatrist who can prescribe for me. I'm taking the same antidepressant and tranquilizer I've been taking for years. A good shrink is hard to find--especially one who takes one or both of my insurance plans.

One last thing about George: I'm attaching a bad photocopy of a photo of him taken around the time I met him. This is how I remember him:

Back