• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Are carbs ok 3mo.s after "The Sleeve" surgery?

Pinky35

I seem to be losing a Ton of hair and i have been making sure i take great vitamins And eating my 70grams of protein daily so in turn I've decided to start eating carbs to slow down the weight/hair loss.

Does anyone know really HOW bad it is to do this at this point or does it not really matter? Its not going to make my stomach bleed/leak or anything bad will it cuz i have had sum discomfort a bit too but nothing major and figured that i wud feel pain in the stomach here and there anyhow i guess idk ~ thoughts anyone???

Gosh, I don't know. I am pretty much a newbie, just a month out. But, maybe you should call your surgeon, or nutritionist. I know too many carbs will shut weight loss down pretty quickly. I am a little concerned because I have thyroid problems along with it all and my hair is pretty thin anyway.~ twill

I would contact your nutritionist and I would bet it is too soon for carbs......once you start eating them can you stop?

My doctor's food plan doesn't add fruits, veggies or carbs until month 6. Just a variety of protein until then. Each week a new source of protein is add until Month 3 when the quantity increases from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. Make sure you check with what your doctor suggests.

IDK just the last 2wks w/ the holidays i been cheating so... but yea i probly can cuz if they arent in the house i cant eat them and i live alone. ;)

yea im supposed to be doing 4oz of meat only at meals too and no fruits/veggies either but i figure hey its MY body right? AND I feel fine unless i over do it - which HAS happened a few times cuz well I'm a Realist and old habits die hard so...

I seem to be losing a Ton of hair and i have been making sure i take great vitamins And eating my 70grams of protein daily so in turn I've decided to start eating carbs to slow down the weight/hair loss.

Does anyone know really HOW bad it is to do this at this point or does it not really matter? Its not going to make my stomach bleed/leak or anything bad will it cuz i have had sum discomfort a bit too but nothing major and figured that i wud feel pain in the stomach here and there anyhow i guess idk ~ thoughts anyone???
I'm almost 3 months post-op and allowed to have 30-60 grams of carbs per day. I get them by eating fruit, not candy. BTW I don't think slowing your weight loss down at this point will slow the hair loss. Your body will adjust and the hair loss will stop and the hair will grow back.

I'm sure everyone is affected differently. I take Omega 3,6,9 daily because the only problem I've had in the last year since sleeve surgery is getting "regular" again. However, this supplement is supposed to help with hair loss as well. Sounds like you're doing great getting your protein in. I used Unjury protein shakes 1-2 times a day early on to be sure I'd at least get to 60 grams. I guess my hair loss gauge was my shower drain! :) As long as I didn't notice a lot more there then before the surgery, I didn't sweat it!

Are you getting enough protein in?

My daily is between 76 and 85 grams of lean high quality protein per day. I stay on the upper end and have not had to much issue with hair loss... I supplement as needed with either Unjury or a premiere shake depending on how many grams I need to supplement.

Divide your weight by 2.2 and that should give you a basic idea of your protein grams you need... + 0r minus 10 grams per day

Talk to you surgeon and nutritionist about your protein grams..

one of my friends went to a beauty suppy store and got shampoo with protien it helped her alot

You still need to maintain your diet required amount of protein in order to continue with healthy weight loss and health in general...

Washing your hair with a protein shampoo will not help.

More protein, not carbs can help. The hair that you lost will take at least 3 months to come back. This is just how the growth cycle works. I take biotin 7000 mg a day. I would try and up the protein. Slowing down the weight loss won't really help. I was not a rapid loser, but lost hair anyway. I was allowed to add veggies and fruit at 3 months, but check with your doc. I would discourage any refined carbs as this could sabotage your long term success. I got a short hair cut to deal with it.

Back