• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Are Goal Weights Helpful, Harmful, or Both?

WazzuCoug

After surgery, there is absolutely no guarantee that you will reach your goal weight and be able to maintain it. There's no guarantee that you will get to a weight your surgeon or doctor thinks you should be. When you have the surgery, your biology will determine where that point ends. Once you reach that new level of body fat, no matter where it is, your body will start defending that point, regardless if it happens after 100 lbs lost or just 50 lbs lost. Just like trying to lose weight pre-surgery, if you try to will yourself past that point, your body will start to fight against it.

Your genetics, food choices and environment all play into how much weight you lose and your ability to maintain it, regardless of which surgery you get. For some people, their bodies may decide that 50 pounds of fat loss is it, others may lose 100. The point is, we can't "force" our bodies to have a lower defendable weight than what our biology sets for us after surgery. The fact that the surgery actually lowers that point is amazing and not entirely understood by science.

My question around setting a goal weight is this: what if we don't reach it because our biology determined our new weight was 20 or 30 pounds higher than our goal? Will we feel like we failed? Will we feel guilty because we didn't do what our doctor thought we should do, or what other people thought we should do? Will we fall into patterns where we start eating unhealthy foods again due to stress/emotions?

How can we let go of the fact that we really aren't in total control of where we end up after surgery? Can we accept and be happy with an maintain a weight that is 20-30 or even more pounds heavier than our goal weight, and we acknowledge that it is still way, WAY better than where we started before surgery? Or will we just backslide because, "it failed" when the reality is the surgery was successful?

It's a double edged sword. I think it is natural to want to have something to shoot for, to try and attain, but I think we have to go into it knowing that such goals are almost always aspirational, because at some point, our body will start defending a new weight (actually it defends your fat level) no matter what weight we wanted to achieve. Some people will reach their goals, many won't, and a few surpass them.

I have a passion for the science behind obesity, weight loss and optimizing this journey for success. I'm infatuated with ensuring the amazing way I feel now compared to my BS life (aka "Before Surgery", aka "Bull $&!^") stays the way I feel for the rest of my life.

A quick review on the biological reasons weight loss surgery works well for most people:

Success after surgery has very little to do with the small stomach/pouch. If that is all there was to it, we'd be starving and ravenous all of the time, and that is generally not what we experience. We still get hungry, of course, but getting hungry when you are eating 800 calories a day after surgery is WAY different than the hungry you feel if you tried to eat 800 calories a day in your BS life.

The hormone leptin is produced in our fat cells. The amount of leptin in our bloodstream correlates to the amount of fat we carry on our body. More fat = more leptin, less fat = less leptin. Leptin crosses the blood/brain barrier to your hypothalamus where receptors for leptin are constantly responding to the level of fat in your body. When leptin decreases, your brain reacts in two ways: 1. It slows your metabolism to reduce energy consumption, and 2. It makes you hungrier. Your brain does this because it is protecting your fat storage. Leptin is a fat management hormone so your brain can protect you from starving. It is the main reason most people fail over and over at dieting in the BS life.

When leptin increases, your body "technically" should decrease hunger signals and allow your metabolism to burn fat freely. However, when we are eating excessive calories through unhealthy food choices, the food you eat actually starts to interfere with the receptors for leptin in our brain. We become leptin resistant, meaning even though our leptin is increasing in line with increasing fat, our brain stops sending signals out that you are satiated. You still feel hungry even though your fat levels are above what is needed. We start eating more, we start searching for "physical fullness" (that stretched stomach feeling). The food we eat also influences the other satiation signals that we would normally get from our gut. It is there were hormones released in "real time" after you eat to tell us when we've had enough. These signals too do not pass to your brain like they should be. You eat more. As you eat more, the fat level your body defends goes higher, and higher. At that point, when we try to lose weight (pre surgery) as the leptin goes down in our blood stream, our brain does what it is supposed to do and fights against it. The more weight we lose, the harder your body fights against it, and eventually we gain it back. This happens not because we lack the willpower, but our biology is forcing us to make decisions that are truly now out of our full control.

Yes, some people can do it, and most of them are well known, they have YouTube with hundreds of thousands of followers, they have commercials, they make it look like all you need to do is what they did. Unfortunately, what they did worked for them, and it probably won't work for you. Their genetics/biology allowed them to be successful by the luck of their genetic lottery, and they made changes to their diet and environment that worked for them, but most likely, it won't work for the vast majority of people. They'll probably make some decent money off their success though.

The surgery has the wonderful side effect of actually affecting the signal reception for several hormones, specifically leptin, CCK and GLP-1. After surgery, when your body sees the decrease in leptin in your bloodstream, instead of triggering a fight, it now "sees" that you are supposed to carry a smaller amount of fat, so it allows the fat to burn without decreasing your metabolism and without making you more hungry than normal. At the same time, when you eat, as food passes into your intestine, CCK and GLP-1 are released as food is digested sending signals to your brain that you have gotten enough food and don't need to eat anymore. Your brain has become more receptive to these signals (they were suppressed prior to surgery similar to leptin resistance), and as a result, you lose fat and overall weight.

There is a limit to the weight loss however, and it isn't determined by us. After surgery, your brain has a new target for the amount of fat it is going to "defend" that has nothing to do with what BMI says your weight should be, or what your doctor says your weight should be, or what you think your weight should be. That new point that your body will defend it what your genetics and environment will allow. When you get to that point, if you try to lose more weight, your brain will again start to respond to the reduced leptin signals and slow your metabolism and make you hungrier. The more you try to lose, the more your body will fight back. You will start to crave higher calories foods, and if we succumb and start eating unhealthy foods again, the cycle of developing leptin resistance can start again and the weight will start to go back up.

It is imperative that we develop a new relationship with food that will keep us at our new defendable weight. If we don't reach our goals, we still need to keep doing the right things associated with food choices and exercise to keep from gaining it back. Your body has been reset, but it might not reset to the weight you want. That has the potential to be very frustrating, so the question is, how will you deal with it, if that is your situation?
Right now, I'm struggling with what I think I'd like to see as my end goal, and what I now where it feels like I'm ending up. I'm not saying my weight loss is done. I don't know that yet, but it's obviously slowed down a great deal, and my body fat is well within the normal range, so there really isn't a need for me to lose more. I'm five pounds from "onederland" but do I really need to get there? Part of me wants to, but if I try, will it send me into a cycle that repeats from the past? I don't know.

So, to circle back around (if you read this entire book of a post), are weight goals helpful, harmful or both? I think they can be both, but we need to try to focus on doing the right things and let ourselves be okay with wherever we end up, as it is almost certainly way better than where we started.
I've had a bodyfat goal to shoot for. I wanted to get to 18% or less and I'm at 20%. I'm happy with that although the weight on the scale is not quite what I thought I'd get to, and I have to be okay with that. That's where the "harmful" aspects of the goal comes...I can't get down on myself if I don't reach that weight. I'm not a failure if I don't get to 186 and instead come to rest at 205. It's a mental struggle and pretty hard to let go, at least for me.

What do you think? Helpful, harmful, both, neither? What strategy will you employ if you don't reach your goal, or if you reach your goal, but your body thinks you went too far and adds back 10 pounds, will you start harmful patterns again, or will you focus on food choices and exercise to maintain that new weight, even though its 10 lbs (or more) higher than what you wanted?

Last edited:
I've read and/or watched videos from bariatric doctors who have mentioned this too. It can be somewhat discouraging but on the other hand it shouldn't be. Goals are important but definitely not the end all. I have told myself if for some reason I don't get to my goal that I will still look at all I have accomplished. I never want to go back to where I was and if it means missing my goal, I will learn to accept that. But for now, I am still hoping to get there and will continue to work at it!

I think a goal weight can be motivating, but it shouldn’t be the end all be all. I had a goal feeling, and I made that very clear to the dietitian, counselor, and surgeon. I had to set a weight loss goal, so they could know I had realistic expectations. My goal loss was 100lbs. Technically speaking, if that’s 100lbs since my first weigh in there, I’ve hit that target. My thought was surgery day weigh in. That being said, it’s about 14 pounds away. However, I’d be totally ok if I stopped losing weight today. I feel pretty good most of the time, my blood work is phenomenal, my blood pressure is amazing, and I’m not at risk for diabetes anymore. I think a weight loss goal or goal weight really needs to be flexible. It should also be encouraged that it should be flexible to avoid disappointment. Maybe instead of a goal weight or loss, people should be encouraged to have a goal range.

I have both a goal range and what I call “personal” goals. Those have nothing do with the scale. One is the ability to walk 5 miles without pain or soreness. Another is to start an urban homestead. I’ll be pleased if I reach my top scale goal range. I will be overjoyed if I reach even one of my non-scale goals.

A very well written piece. Very educational and with a lot of information to process. I admire the work you put into this And thank you for sharing. Before I started gaining weight after quitting smoking I weighed 130, that is a dream goal. Realistic goal would be if I could get to 150 I could live with that. Only time can tell.

I have both a goal range and what I call “personal” goals. Those have nothing do with the scale. One is the ability to walk 5 miles without pain or soreness. Another is to start an urban homestead. I’ll be pleased if I reach my top scale goal range. I will be overjoyed if I reach even one of my non-scale goals.
NSVs can have significantly more impact on our lives than the number on the scale. Many good things start happening with only moderate reductions in body fat, and I think that is what we have to keep in mind. We have very little control over what the final number on the scale will be, but we can enjoy so many other things that come from losing fat, reducing inflammation and eating better! Great goals!

A very well written piece. Very educational and with a lot of information to process. I admire the work you put into this And thank you for sharing. Before I started gaining weight after quitting smoking I weighed 130, that is a dream goal. Realistic goal would be if I could get to 150 I could live with that. Only time can tell.
You can realize so many positive things regardless of the number on the scale, but it is hard to separate ourselves from measuring ourselves that way. It's strongly ingrained in our minds that scale weight is the most important measure of success. I think we all struggle with that. Trying to focus on those NSVs and other positive things is what I've been trying to do, but sometimes, damnit, you just want the scale a little lower. That being said, I'm so happy now, I am starting to let the scale go away and generally use it as a tool to monitor trends and not really my weight on any given day.

I wish that more surgeons and weight loss clinics/programs helped patients set realistic goals. If you can expect to lose 60 to 75% of your EXCESS weight, they need to help you set a goal in that range. If you are 100lbs overweight, you can expect to lose between 60lbs to 75lbs. Which can still leave you 25 to 40lbs overweight. If you are 200lbs overweight, those numbers double. My original goal was not what the doctors would consider a "healthy" weight. I was lucky enough to surpass that and set new goals. However, I know people who have not hit their goal and it is causing a bit of a spiral. One has basically given up and is actively gaining weight. The other is still trying but feels like a complete failure. It's hard to stay the course when you feel like a failure all day, every day. And her doctor told her not to "expect applause" since "you should be doing better." She has lost 110lbs. and is still 40lbs overweight. If we go back to that 60-75%, she should be considered a success. And yet, her doctor says no applause. I know WLS is big business and it's hard to "sell" someone on "You'll still be considered obese" but some of these expectations really set people up to fail.

Well said Missy. And while my surgeon did not give me a goal he did tell me what I can expect to lose just as you described it. And I have past that number since surgery. For a doctor to give no applause is horrible. Luckily I haven't come across that with all my doctor appointments, they have all been encouraging. I feel bad for the people who were told this. Negative thinking really does contribute to a spiral.

Mine didn't give me a figure just a percentage and he didn't mention BMI. I think that is better actually. Precise numbers can make it a little more stressful trying to reach that goal, IMO.

My surgeons office never really said what my excess weight was or even how that was determined. I guess I should have asked. So how is that calculated? Is it based off BMI?
It is almost always based on BMI, at least that it what my bariatric CNS told me when she gave me the estimated range, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in something that is based on fake science (BMI).

That fact that any doctor, or bariatric clinic employee would minimize anyone's success is horrible. I suspect many people end up failing after surgery because they are made to feel guilty, like they should be doing more. It proves that doctors and other medical providers do not have a corner on education, especially when it comes to how the surgery works and how much is determined by your genetics and can't be easily overcome with diet.

It's why I really try to get people to focus on so many other things besides scale weight and BMI. If we focus there, we are setting ourselves up to follow the same old patterns of trying to diet past what our body thinks is right, which causes higher hunger, overeating, leptin resistance, and yo-yo weight gain and potentially regaining most or all of the weight back.

Weight goals should be aspirational, in my opinion and not something a doctor or anyone should be something that if not reached means you failed. I think too many get that mindset into their head.

When my team asked me what my goal was and I said somewhere in the 180's they told me that was doable. I am currently at 165. A friend told them their goal and they said my friend could expect 70ish pounds....the goal that was set was to lose more. I dont feel like my team suver coated success at all and when I stated a new goal of being in the 150-160 ranged they help me plan how to get there. They also talked about support in gaining if I lost too much.

Back