• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

At what point were you able to handle nuts?

Both, but I only tried a small amount of peanuts at first to make sure I tolerated them. My surgeons office had a pretty detailed list of when I could start reintroducing foods.
Oh okay. Mine was detailed up until the 1st month and then my diet fully opens up after that except no high carb foods. I tried nuts at 3 weeks post op and almonds have set extremely well with me. I’ll have to give raw peanuts a shot next.

I was so paranoid about a nut getting stuck in the staple line, I waited a long time maybe 6 months. I was not supposed to eat lettuce for 90 days and that is what I did.
I still never satisfy the "sweet tooth" which is agree is a food addiction showing through. It is the filling of the hole in the soul thing. Me: "maybe some big sugar thing will make me happy" or "maybe a big hamburger will do the trick". Two bites doesn't do it, that is all I can usually do.
I work pretty hard on filling the hole in my soul, I don't think I always succeed.

Oh okay. Mine was detailed up until the 1st month and then my diet fully opens up after that except no high carb foods. I tried nuts at 3 weeks post op and almonds have set extremely well with me. I’ll have to give raw peanuts a shot next.
Lesa,
One thing I observed, just sharing. When I eat nuts I "over" snack in the evenings. It had set me into a month long stall that I just now broke 3 lbs from my goal finally. I guess the caloric content is just too high at the end of the day. Plus I was letting them interfere with my 7pm food cut off, that is another one that works for me, eating after 7pm, the scale doesn't move. Of course admittedly last nuts I got were some local pecans that were huge and delicious halves. I had to "candy" them with sugar and spices, they were so good. I managed NOT to buy them last week at the good market that carries all the cool stuff. I have to say their fruit and veggie selection is converting me it is so beautiful and expansive and I love the focus on local Texas grown produce.
Sharon

I feel like 3 weeks is probably way to early. I struggled with most foods that people were fine with until about 6 months. It just took my stomach longer to tolerate things however at 3 weeks I was just starting pureed stuff.

Back