• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

B12 vitamins

Carolyn270

My vitamin B12FO is too high this one month after surgery. Any feedback would be welcome, Google scares me sometimes. The thing is, I've been lousy at taking the vitamins for it to be in the 1300s.

My vitamin B12FO is too high this one month after surgery. Any feedback would be welcome, Google scares me sometimes. The thing is, I've been lousy at taking the vitamins for it to be in the 1300s.
Mine was high too Dr had me discontinue for two weeks then just take half a dose. Dr will guide you on what to do.

Mine was high too Dr had me discontinue for two weeks then just take half a dose. Dr will guide you on what to do.
I was told to cut back and take them three days a week instead of daily. Maybe I better get started....I mean I haven't taken them since week two out. How are you , Donna?

My doctor don’t suggest B12 at all, just multivitamins and calcium w/ vitamin D but I do take extra Biotin

My doctor don’t suggest B12 at all, just multivitamins and calcium w/ vitamin D but I do take extra Biotin
I think my doctor recommended every single vitamin. I'm trying to adapt to the fact that I will be taking them always but gah! So many. I can swallow twelve pills at once on a sip of water. I drink more to make sure there's no lingering tastes. Ew.

I just had gastric bypass surgery 3 days ago. Just starting my journey. My doctor is starting me on B12. What is B12 FO?
Congratulations on your surgery! As I understand it FO is Folate or folic acid, also a b vitamin. Its supposed to help your body make new red blood cells amd such.

I think my doctor recommended every single vitamin. I'm trying to adapt to the fact that I will be taking them always but gah! So many. I can swallow twelve pills at once on a sip of water. I drink more to make sure there's no lingering tastes. Ew.
People’s levels was too high so he stopped it but I am two months in I feel great until I eat or drink than I throw up this thick salvia 3-4 times a day and he told me bring him a pic cause he don’t know why???? Did or do anyone else have this problem? Thanks

People’s levels was too high so he stopped it but I am two months in I feel great until I eat or drink than I throw up this thick salvia 3-4 times a day and he told me bring him a pic cause he don’t know why???? Did or do anyone else have this problem? Thanks
Sounds like frothing. According to my guide book, as the new pouch heals mucous is created to help breal down food. It backs up into the esophagus and causes that clear vomitting you have. The suggestion was to try drinking warm water half hour prior to eating.

If drinking warm liquids like Carolyn suggested doesn't work, you may need to ask your doctor for some help. I had nausea from the get go after surgery and it is just now getting better, but throwing up several times a day is very rough on you and hinders the healing process as well. I was on nausea meds and a gag inhibitor for nearly 4 months to stop the vomiting. It's been about 2 weeks since I've had to wear that lovely little patch behind my ear or take nausea meds on a regular basis. I still have triggers, but as things are healing more and more everyday, the nausea is getting much better! There is light at the end of the tunnel! Also, those of us who have had bypass will never vomit normally again, the 'thick saliva' that your seeing is a byproduct of the new you. ;)

If drinking warm liquids like Carolyn suggested doesn't work, you may need to ask your doctor for some help. I had nausea from the get go after surgery and it is just now getting better, but throwing up several times a day is very rough on you and hinders the healing process as well. I was on nausea meds and a gag inhibitor for nearly 4 months to stop the vomiting. It's been about 2 weeks since I've had to wear that lovely little patch behind my ear or take nausea meds on a regular basis. I still have triggers, but as things are healing more and more everyday, the nausea is getting much better! There is light at the end of the tunnel! Also, those of us who have had bypass will never vomit normally again, the 'thick saliva' that your seeing is a byproduct of the new you. ;)

Ok thanks for the answer I had no idea what was happening I feel good until i eat or drink about how long does it take to get some appittete back so I can stop gaging when I try to eat but fruits are so sweet tasting I can’t eat them except strawberry but I will ask him about the B12 on Friday thanks again for your help

Ok thanks for the answer I had no idea what was happening I feel good until i eat or drink about how long does it take to get some appittete back so I can stop gaging when I try to eat but fruits are so sweet tasting I can’t eat them except strawberry but I will ask him about the B12 on Friday thanks again for your help

Well, I'm on month 5 and have no appetite yet. I have friends who are a year out, and they don't either. Others are several years out and they are back to having an appetite, but they talk about how just a few ounces of food fills them up and kills the appetite for hours afterward. I think it will depend on how quickly you heal and move past the rough parts and onto food. Also, if you eat too quickly you will feel sick just as quickly. Bites that are too big that might get stuck also cause the nausea reaction. It is so hard to get used to eating small bites and chewing things at least 20 times before swallowing, then pausing before the next bite. I can do it about 90% of the time now, change is hard! But it makes such a difference! I understand the sweetness of fruits as well. My taste buds are totally different now. I can't really eat anything above 10 grams of sugar, the sweetness is a trigger and I gag. I have friends that tell me 'you need to work back up to the sugar levels' but I don't really have a desire to do so, I mean, it was part of the problem before so I just stay away from sweets in general. I hope things get better for you soon!

Back