• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Back home

Pat99

I just wanted to let everyone know I am back home. My RNY was on 2/27/12 and I came home 3/1/12. The only issue I am having is a lot of fluid retention. It was at 23 lbs. when I got home and went up to 27 lbs. later in the evening. The surgeon had me start taking a diuretic this afternoon. My legs and feet are swollen and also my abdomen. Other than that I am doing well.

I start my full liquid diet tomorrow and am looking forward to some cream of wheat and a protein shake. I'm sort of getting tired of bouillon and Jello but grateful that I am not having issues "eating" either of these.

Thanks to everyone who sent prayers and well wishes!

hi pat99
glad to hear you made it home safely, sounds like once your water retention is gone you'll feel like a new person. did they give you a reason why the water retention happened? I am on water pills and blood pressure pills now, I am curious how are we suppose to be able to swallow pills if all we can have is small sips of water. Did you have any complications when it comes to swallowing? I will pray for your complete recovery.

hi pat99
glad to hear you made it home safely, sounds like once your water retention is gone you'll feel like a new person. did they give you a reason why the water retention happened? I am on water pills and blood pressure pills now, I am curious how are we suppose to be able to swallow pills if all we can have is small sips of water. Did you have any complications when it comes to swallowing? I will pray for your complete recovery.

The water retention is from over hydratation from the IV's while in the hospital. I had 4 different doctors / interns making rounds and each of them had different opinions on how fast the IV fluids should be administered. Input and output of fluids was also being monitored. Apparently I'm a victim of 4 heads are not better than one *LOL*. I really wasn't given an explaination but will ask my surgeon next week during my first follow up visit.

I am not having any issues swallowing pills with a sip of water. The trick is to do them one at a time and spaced out 5 to 10 minutes apart and / or take some in the morning and some in the evening if feasible. You should be given specific instructions from your surgeon's office on how big of a pill can be swallowed whole and which should be crushed or broken into smaller pieces. Also important is which pills shouldn't be crushed or broken. If no one has discussed this with you then call the office and make arrangements for a visit for a review. You should take your meds with you on your visit. If you are on a medication that will be difficult to swallow they will write a prescription for a liquid form.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

The water retention is from over hydratation from the IV's while in the hospital. I had 4 different doctors / interns making rounds and each of them had different opinions on how fast the IV fluids should be administered. Input and output of fluids was also being monitored. Apparently I'm a victim of 4 heads are not better than one *LOL*. I really wasn't given an explaination but will ask my surgeon next week during my first follow up visit.

I am not having any issues swallowing pills with a sip of water. The trick is to do them one at a time and spaced out 5 to 10 minutes apart and / or take some in the morning and some in the evening if feasible. You should be given specific instructions from your surgeon's office on how big of a pill can be swallowed whole and which should be crushed or broken into smaller pieces. Also important is which pills shouldn't be crushed or broken. If no one has discussed this with you then call the office and make arrangements for a visit for a review. You should take your meds with you on your visit. If you are on a medication that will be difficult to swallow they will write a prescription for a liquid form.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

welcome home pat, glad to hear all went well! wow already swallowing pills? they still have me crushing them! hoping friday i can start swallowing, yes you will get sick of the foods during the phases... i am ready for phase 4 and can't wait haddock baked potato and chicken, egg,ham salads real food yay!

welcome home pat, glad to hear all went well! wow already swallowing pills? they still have me crushing them! hoping friday i can start swallowing, yes you will get sick of the foods during the phases... i am ready for phase 4 and can't wait haddock baked potato and chicken, egg,ham salads real food yay!

I was surprised about being able to swallow whole pills. Based on the size of my stomach opening I was told I could swallow a pill as long as it wasn't any bigger than an M&M. I am getting tired of the phase 2 meals but it's all part of the journey. My first phase 3 meal is going to be pureed chicken or possibly tuna :) I happen to like cream of wheat but enough already *LOL* Yesterday was a rough day since nothing looked or smelled good to me but I managed to get my protein in with shakes. Earlier today everything looked good to me except I ate one bite too much for dinner so now I'm back to not wanting anything. I'm still adjusting to the very small portions.

sounds like your adjusting well! I started getting light headed last week ,,my blood pressure was low and they took me off two meds yay! also they said if your not getting all your protein that happens so i had to start counting my proteins. Glad to hear the shakes are going well!

I am so excited for you, Pat. I've been talking to the other Pat a few times a week and she's been keeping me up on all and how you are doing. I am soooo proud of you. You have such a positive attitude and it sounds like you are doing it right. (Like there was any doubt.)

I think about you for a few minutes every day and think good thoughts. Hang in there...the hard part is over.

Letrell

I am so excited for you, Pat. I've been talking to the other Pat a few times a week and she's been keeping me up on all and how you are doing. I am soooo proud of you. You have such a positive attitude and it sounds like you are doing it right. (Like there was any doubt.)

I think about you for a few minutes every day and think good thoughts. Hang in there...the hard part is over.

Letrell

Thanks for the good thoughts Letrell. I had a bit of a miserable time in the hospital. I think I slept a total of 2 1/2 hours the entire time. I remember finally dozing off in the chair for about 30 minutes before being woken up by the respiratory theripist at 2:30 AM. What the heck was so flippin important at that hour to wake me up? She wanted to know if I was using my CPAP. You better believe I put the word out to not be disturbed for anything except vital checks after that fiasco.

I had almost a full 24 hours of the IV alarm sounding off until they finally decided to run a new line. I never was given the trapeze the dr. ordered. I had to ask multiple times for a truss and had to have a mini hissy fit before they gave it to me. Anyway, the worst is over and I have no regrets. My biggest fear was to be in pain but other than the first few hours it wasn't too bad at all. I think I wore out the button on my pain pump.

Being back home is great. I am my own boss again and have a nice warm beagle, a cat and parakeet to keep me company. Life is grand :)

Hi Pat, Tom here. Sounds like your doing good. Patti let us know about the hospital fiasco's:mad:. I remeber whwen I was in and the nightly visits for vitals, I was so glad to get home too. My only issue with the alarm was my pulse oximiter, when I was sleeping my heart rate and respreations would drop too low for the machine and it would start going off every time I wouuld doze off so I only got a few hours sleep that night then at about 4 in the morning they decided to unhook it so I could get some sleep. Glad your home now and I hope you are healing up well & getting rid of that fluid build up. :cool: Tom

Back