• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bad cravings!!

Hi all, I am 21 months post-op and have lost 137 lbs, and with the exception of a pound or 2 fluctuation here and there, I've managed to stay in about the 150 range (I'm shocked! I'm a stress eater and my life is constant stress!!) Meals are not a problem for me. I know what I can and cannot do now but my problem is wanting to snack. CONSTANTLY!!! Does anyone this far after surgery have any ideas they turn to when wanting to snack? Usually something sugary. Is there anything out there made to be able to nosh on and off all day?? I was fooled into believing that a bowl of watermelon would be OK for that purpose (and it was DELISH!) But boy, after some investigating, only then did I realize the sugar content in unlimited fruit! You would think something so benign as fruit would be so bad for you. It's not like it's a banana split! Would gratefully welcome any input. And it doesn't have to be sugar.....just something to have around that I could satisfy my urges to eat! Many thanks, Cassie

Hi all, I am 21 months post-op and have lost 137 lbs, and with the exception of a pound or 2 fluctuation here and there, I've managed to stay in about the 150 range (I'm shocked! I'm a stress eater and my life is constant stress!!) Meals are not a problem for me. I know what I can and cannot do now but my problem is wanting to snack. CONSTANTLY!!! Does anyone this far after surgery have any ideas they turn to when wanting to snack? Usually something sugary. Is there anything out there made to be able to nosh on and off all day?? I was fooled into believing that a bowl of watermelon would be OK for that purpose (and it was DELISH!) But boy, after some investigating, only then did I realize the sugar content in unlimited fruit! You would think something so benign as fruit would be so bad for you. It's not like it's a banana split! Would gratefully welcome any input. And it doesn't have to be sugar.....just something to have around that I could satisfy my urges to eat! Many thanks, Cassie
I am only 2 months out from surgery so I am not finding the same cravings that you have mentioned yet. I have found that when I do get hungry if I eat protein this would curb any hunger or cravings. The easiest things for me at this time are items like cheese or tuna. I am not sure if snacking on cheese cubes would work for you though since you said you have been craving sugary foods. Another thing I would suggest is having sugar free popsicle's.

I eat cottage cheese or a cheese stick. That curbs my appetite. Some days I don't get hungry at all and other days, I want to eat all the time. Today is a good day and I haven't been hungry.

I am only 2 months out from surgery so I am not finding the same cravings that you have mentioned yet. I have found that when I do get hungry if I eat protein this would curb any hunger or cravings. The easiest things for me at this time are items like cheese or tuna. I am not sure if snacking on cheese cubes would work for you though since you said you have been craving sugary foods. Another thing I would suggest is having sugar free popsicle's.

Saska, at only 2 months out, I NEVER had cravings and you shouldn't either. It got worse for me at about 18 months post.

I eat cottage cheese or a cheese stick. That curbs my appetite. Some days I don't get hungry at all and other days, I want to eat all the time. Today is a good day and I haven't been hungry.

Hi, can't choke down cottage cheese, but I will certainly try the cheese sticks instead of heading for carbs! Thanks for writing!!
Cassie

Thank you Tracy....I have never had chicken jerky, never even seen it. Could you possibly let me know the brand and maybe where you bought it? I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks for writing,
Cassie
I think it came from Walmart, the first time, but I did find some at Sam's club, the brand name is chef's cut, it is yummy, I went to Sheetz one day but they didn't have any chicken jerky

Saska, at only 2 months out, I NEVER had cravings and you shouldn't either. It got worse for me at about 18 months post.
Everyone is different, and perhaps everyone's cravings are different. Who is to say that someone should or should not be feeling things a particular way. Maybe I wasn't too clear perhaps in my post. The food cravings I have are not for sweet foods or foods high in fats. I have cravings for things like chicken, pieces of fruit or marmite on toast. I don't find the thought of junk food to be appealing. I was offering suggestions on what foods you could try to prevent cravings. For me I would have foods like the cheese or tuna if I feel hungry during the day. It takes me 3 hours to eat a tablespoon of tuna and a 1/4 of a cup of soft veggies. So I do sometimes get hungry an hour after I start eating because a couple of teaspoons of food isn't enough.

My husband and I went out for lunch yesterday, one of the few times since I had my surgery. I got a catfish sandwich and a baked potato. I brought 1/2 the potato and a little more than 1/2 of the catfish home. I didn't eat the bread. It tasted so good. I have been on a fish kick the last 2 weeks. Good way to get protein, I guess. I haven't had any cravings in quite awhile. I'm sure glad.

Back