• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Band to Sleeve

Hello,

I am new to this forum and joined because I am looking for opinions of people who may have switched from Band to Sleeve or who have gotten the Sleeve.

My surgery was in 2006. I opted for the band because at that time my only other option appeared to be Bypass. The thought of removing a piece of me frightens me very much.
I was doing well with the band; my only complications were acid reflux and the occasional feeling of being too tight. I was ok with this and did what I was supposed to to push past those moments. However a few months ago I found out my band had slipped.

Now I am faced with 3 options by my doctor. Remove the band completely. Do a refresh of the band or Opt for the Sleeve.
(Bypass is out)

With my band completely unfilled I still am having pain and complications so I know something needs to be done. It was suggested to me by someone very important in my life that I just remove the band but I know deep down I need this extra help. For the last few months I tried to see if I could continue losing weight on my own. I went to the gym 3 times a week and tried counting calories but that did not work for me.

I am worried that getting the band again will result in a slip, but my fear of surgery seems to be holding me back from the Sleeve. Having the surgery the first time was a very big deal for me but I put myself at ease knowing at least they weren't taking anything out.

Has anyone else faced this decision? Those that have gotten the Sleeve how do you feel about your decision?

Welcome Elizmar2006, I am Tom. I have not had a sleeve or a Band, but getting the weight loss surgery was a disision we all had taken a lot of time to make and only did this because nothing else worked. I remember counting calories going to the gym for an hour a day 5 days a week and when I lost weight it just came back two fold, I am guessing it was much the same for you. I also had high blood pressure, high colesterol and it was getting harder and harder for me to do my job efficiently, the surgery turned that around. I do realize it is just a tool and I still need to watch what I eat, count calories and continue my work out prgram but the weight stays off and no more medications. My insurance would only cover the Band or the Ruex N Y and in my job I opted for the Ruex N Y because if something went wrong with the band it would happen to me when I was deep in the wilderness fighting a fire far from any hospital or doctor familliar with the complications. I understand you dont want anything removed and with the Ruex N Y but they dont remove anything they just reroute stuff, but I am not trying to change your mind on that option. The surgery is a personal descision so I guess what I am saying is if changing your diet and going to the gym by itself did not work before it will probably won't work now. About half my support group has the sleeve and weight loss results are about the same as the Ruex N Y gastrict bypass. Good luck in your descision and hang in there and try and stay on the same menue program until you can get the band replaced or go for the sleeve. :cool: Tom

Back