• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bariatric program RYN

Jniz

My WLS program is 5 months along now and have been given little info to date. I watched a video of a talk the surgeon filmed in the past probably due to covid it was okay but lacking (50-minute broad over-view). I had one 20 minute visit with the PA who gave me a general overview. I have also met with the nutritionist about 4 times and she goes over some handouts she has sent me. Nothing new to me but, she does answer my questions the best she can. She also has given me a handout for post-surgery and what to expect and what to eat along with timelines. I will meet with the surgeon in about 2 weeks for the first time. I almost forgot my required visit with the psychologist it went well but due to demands of their time they could offer no follow-ups or referrals due to covid there all busy. Still looking

I was expecting more is this typical? Is there going to be a lot more information after the surgery? I have no idea what to expect it almost seems like the nutritionist is the go-to person. The nutritionist with the least education said to come to the next visit with my list of questions many not food related. I will ask the surgeon my medical questions but have a 20- minute visit and this maybe my only visit with him.

The youtube video’s I have watched along with all the feedback from this website and all the links to information have been fantastic. I have read multiple articles as well. I have also listened to well over 75 podcasts.

Should I just let it go and trust the process? By all accounts he is a good teaching Bariatric surgeon.

I am extremely grateful to have gleaned so much information from all the post and any and all of you who have responded to my questions.

Hope to have surgery in the next 2 to 3 months.

J

Every bariatric center seems to have their own way of doing things. For me I met with the surgeon the very first thing then after that visit I was sent to the woman who does the scheduling of all the appointments needed for the type of insurance I have. Two people can go to the same surgeon but if they have different insurance carriers they can wind up with different pre-surgery appointments. For me I only had to see the nutritionist once but I could see on the form they filled out that some have to 4 times before surgery, like you are saying. And I did see the surgeon one more time before surgery for last minute questions, concerns and check-up.

Before Covid hit there were a lot of pre-surgery seminars and support groups that I was required to attend but they must be getting around that somehow. I was looking forward to continuing attending in person support groups after my surgery but the ball was dropped with Covid concerns, totally understandable. I wonder since you said you were expecting more that it might be due to Covid as well. Anyway, you do sound pretty prepared. Let us know how your appointment goes with the surgeon.

I never met my surgeon until a few weeks before the operation. The hospital that my operation was done is considered as a Center of Excellence and and I went thru a similar process to what you have explained with your journey. The only difference is that we had to go to a few support meetings where they did have doctors from the program available for a Q and A period (they never stayed for the whole meeting, they just came in for about 30 minutes in each meeting). This took place in 2020 during COVID.

My bariatric center starts with the dietician for the first visit, the next month is the counselor. If they approve you, then you can meet the surgeon. I had a video appointment with my surgeon, then after that it was monthly dietician and counselor appointments for 4 months. This was actually more than I was expecting but my insurance changed requirements for surgery to include more counselor visits. The first time I met my surgeon in person was when I had my EDG about 7 months after I started with the office, and then I didn’t see him again until the surgery in October. So from the start of my appointments until surgery it was 10 months, but one month I had no visits because Covid shut everything down. Between the first and second appointments, I had to watch a few videos and sign off that I watched them. I watched them with my husband so he was as aware of everything that was happening as I was. I would say my dietician is the go to person post op unless it’s a medical concern, then I send a message to the NP via their app. All the programs and insurances can be different, so it’s hard to say what should be expected. If I wanted to pay out of pocket I’d have had surgery within 6 weeks of starting.

In the program of AA we speak about expectations often. I need to be reminded often If I keep my expectations in check the level of disappointment helps with my serenity. I’m not even sure what I expected but listening to some of the podcast there is clearly more dialogue between medical staff and patients.

To some degree my frustration lies with my experience with the medical community as a whole. My negative experiences outweighed the good unit I hit 50. My Doctors practice was bought out by the big guys and the visits changed and not for the better. I left and friends referred me an internal practice about an hour drive away I was put on a waitlist and was told it would be at least a year. Pleasantly surprised they called me a month later and I had my first physical in years. My visit was OVER 1 hour the compassion and concern the GP showed me was unlike any experience in my life!! Previously my visits were less than 20 minutes with few exceptions. This level of care is still ongoing and truly sours me with most other medical visits.

It is fantastic to get perspectives from other people and realize my expectations aren’t realistic. Especially during covid times. Thanks!!

I feel that way about different doctors I have now. I’ve only been with my primary for a year, but she’s good. However she is a super fast talker, and their office is always busy. One of her nurses blocked me from seeing her when I needed the EKG for the surgery, and my insurance said it had to come from my primary if I wasn’t seeing a cardiologist. I sent her a direct message and got in the next day. My endocrinologist is fine, better than I’ve had in the past, but his nursing staff also doesn’t get him messages, so that’s frustrating. I’d say the doctor I trust more than any other is my OB because I’ve been with him the longest and been through the most with him. Honestly, if I got cancer or something and needed the absolute best, I’d ask him who to see. My mom says I think he walks on water, and my response is if someone is handling my health then they damn well better! LOL

Back