• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bariatric Resources for Daughter

74shark

Hello everyone, I am looking for any resources out there for my daughter by marriage, who has been undergoing a lot these days. She weighs 500 plus pounds, about 3 years ago she fell and since been in and out of the hospital and rehabs. She has been bedridden and suffers from respiratory issues to include Sleep apnea which lately has been lowering her oxygen level to the point that she is currently in the hospital because her levels went critically low. We would like for her to be able to get Bariatric surgery but of course insurance does not cover her for much. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Hello everyone, I am looking for any resources out there for my daughter by marriage, who has been undergoing a lot these days. She weighs 500 plus pounds, about 3 years ago she fell and since been in and out of the hospital and rehabs. She has been bedridden and suffers from respiratory issues to include Sleep apnea which lately has been lowering her oxygen level to the point that she is currently in the hospital because her levels went critically low. We would like for her to be able to get Bariatric surgery but of course insurance does not cover her for much. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Your daughter qualifies, based on the numbers you gave. Does she have insurance? I was on Medicare and Medicaid when I had my surgery 14 years ago. They provided payment for 80 percent of the total cost (though there are many post-op expenses that need to be included, and many people get surprised by these later).

My hospital had a compassionate care fund set up for people who needed medical procedures but had under-performing insurance. They paid for the rest of surgical costs. And once I was part of that program, they continued to provide me with followup and even medications after surgery.

Check with the hospital that will be performing the procedure. Your daughter sounds dangerously ill and should be seeking a surgical solution immediately. And it's important to know that for some of us, surgery is the ONLY solution. That's just how it is.

You might look for local bariatric surgery support groups. They're usually attached to surgery centers that provide the procedure. My hospital had open meetings so anyone could attend, including people who were contemplating surgery.

Please let us know how things go.

Thank you for your reply, My daughter is 52 years old so she doesn't qualify for Medicare yes, and her husband make a little over the poverty line to qualify for Medicaid. She does have insurance but like all insurance they pick and choose what they cover. I will have to check with the hospital where she is currently in Frederick, Maryland to see if they have anything like that.

My daughter is 52 years old so she doesn't qualify for Medicare yes, and her husband make a little over the poverty line to qualify for Medicaid.

I was 55 when I qualified for Medicare because, like your daughter, I had medical issues that made it impossible for me to get a full-time job in my field. I was hospitalized several times relating to my disability. Once I was on Medicare, it was easy to qualify for Medicaid. I sacrificed low-paying insurance I'd get if I worked, but because of that, I had 80 percent coverage and that opened up a door to the healthcare I deserved.

Do ask around. Your daughter sounds like she needs help right now, and her medical conditions can only get worse without intervention.

Please keep us posted if you can.

Back