• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

BBQ blessings

In Seattle, barbecuing is almost a form of worship, considering its infrequency. We don't even get one day a week for most of the year, so when the rain lets up, we get out the grills every day. I use a hibachi and also have a mini-bbq dome thingy with a griddle rack inside.

But I don't use briquettes for environmental reasons, not to mention bbq starter fluid. I use wood chips over hickory (or other hardwood) bricks, and I save these up in a closed plastic bin in my utility closet. Since there's only one of me & I'm pretty conservative where food is concerned, this works well. I know a lot of you have families and you undoubtedly have a dedicated spot in the yard where barbecuing happens, as well as keeping all the utensils and materials.

I thought we could share some kind of tips for cooking outdoors. I know we have members from coast to coast, north to south, and I love that about this group. Regional takes on food are very special.

Anyway, one thing I do to reduce the guilt factor is to revise the typical potato salad. There's nothing wrong with eating potatoes. The problem we have is mayonnaise. So I use unpeeled red potatoes (or unpeeled new potatoes) and cook them until they're soft to the tooth but still have a stiff bite. Secondly, I add more vegetables, and if necessary, steam them to the same texture. I especially like to use broccoli stems, the big thick ones. I peel all the skin off and cut the stems into discs, then into bite-sized chunks. I put these two things into the bowl first, then add whatever veggies I have laying around. Sometimes I add boiled eggs, but often, I leave them out. Green onions are essential in tiny rings. Then, my secret weapon is the yogurt sauce. I season it to my tastes and include a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to thin it down. Before I stir it together, I cut up a ripe avocado into small bits and stir it in vigorously so it contributes to the liquidity of the sauce. This all gets dumped over the potatoes and steamed broccoli stems and tossed well, then chilled.

I end up with a green-tinted potato salad that I think is really delicious. Sometimes I sprinkle large-flake nutritional yeast over it, which adds both a cheesy and a nutty flavor to it.

Sometimes I serve it warm, sprinkled with dill weed. Other times I eat it chilled with whatever hot thing I've grilled. Also, I rarely grill beef. Usually it's those thick boneless pork ribs or boneless chicken with skin on it. I take the skin off once the inside meat is done. I hate dry chicken.

What are your bbq tips or secrets? Wanna share? Or do you have any tips for me about how I might improve my recipes?

Back