• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Best Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

KarenWV

I just found this recipe on curbingcarbs.com

I don't know about y'all, but as much as I love eating cabbage rolls, I am so intimidated by the process of cooking the cabbage leaves w/o turning them to mush, trying to find just the right sized leaves, the whole rolling like swaddling a baby thing, ya know?

This recipe sounds like the perfect alternative to all those headaches I just mentioned. Unlike traditional cabbage rolls, this one doesn't use rice, but they did suggest using cauliflower rice if that's your thing. I'm sure some nice whole grain brown rice would do nicely too.

Best Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

1/2 lb ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 head cabbage, chopped
2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup water

1. Start by seasoning & browning the ground beef in a large pot with minced garlic and chopped onion. Be sure to crumble the beef as you brown it. Drain any excess grease.

2. Once the ground beef is finished cooking, drain excess oil and add back to the pot over medium-high heat.

3. Add in the remaining ingredients, stir everything together, and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes.

And that's it. Sounds almost too easy, with all the taste but so much less work than actual cabbage rolls. Of course you may substitute ground turkey/chicken for a healthier version.

I make an unstuffed cabbage similar to this but I go ahead and make the meat into a "roll" shape and cook it all in the slow cooker! surprise lol
So, the "stuffed" part I make just like i f I was making stuffed cabbage and I just shred the cabbage. It's so much easier than rolling.

Back