• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Best way to mentally prepare for gastric sleeve surgery?

I am so overwhelmed with all the information about the gastric sleeve surgery on the web. I am looking for resources on HOW TO MENTALLY PREPARE MYSELF FOR GASTRIC SLEEVE LIFE. I know that mentally preparing myself will be a huge issue and I just don't know where to start. Does anyone have any books, websites or articles that made a difference in your journey?

Get your information as organized as possible. Familiarize yourself with preop & postop diet. Close to your surgery date, purchase shakes, etc so you have everything you will need & are ready to go. Will make you feel prepared logistically which will help you mentally. Talk to people who will be helping you postop about what you may need & don’t hesitate to ask for help. Keep a list of any questions for your care team. And…know that this is a life-changing experience. You will have questions along the way. You will prob occasionally have a day when you ask why the hell did you do it. That’s OK & perfectly normal. But it is SO worth it for better future physical & mental health!

Get your information as organized as possible. Familiarize yourself with preop & postop diet. Close to your surgery date, purchase shakes, etc so you have everything you will need & are ready to go. Will make you feel prepared logistically which will help you mentally. Talk to people who will be helping you postop about what you may need & don’t hesitate to ask for help. Keep a list of any questions for your care team. And…know that this is a life-changing experience. You will have questions along the way. You will prob occasionally have a day when you ask why the hell did you do it. That’s OK & perfectly normal. But it is SO worth it for better future physical & mental health!
Thank you so much for the advise.

Does anyone have any books, websites or articles that made a difference in your journey?

I've mentioned this book here many times, but it's been a while, so allow me to recommend THE ONLY DIET THERE IS by Sondra Ray.

It's not a food diet book. It's a diet from negative thinking. It's absolutely brilliant and there are exercises you can use to build up affirmations that will help you stay on track.

When I was debating having the procedure, I remember rolling over thoughts in my head about how I'd never be able to eat this thing, or eat this way, or generally get any joy from cooking, baking or eating. It was almost enough to make me decide not to do it (spoiler alert: two years after surgery I was eating any food I felt like eating, no problem).

Regardless, it's a mistake to pretend food doesn't drive your joys and pleasures. If it didn't, there'd be no gourmets or cooking shows or cuisine that elevates ingredients in food. Humans need water, food and air to live (sometimes it seems like that's the right order, too!).

If we own up to our needs, suddenly our power is equal to our needs. We can honestly control what we choose to eat because we're not scared by foods or slave to our urges.

Anyway, Ray's book really helped me in many ways, and I deliberately applied the principles and exercises to my various addictions, including compulsive overeating.

Congratulations on your decision. You can do it. You WILL do it.

Hi! My name is Albertia, I am having problem locating a Psychologist,

it would help if you explained why you're having trouble. have you actually connected with a provider who a) doesn't take your insurance, b) doesn't take any insurance, c) can't advise people with your issues, d) etc.

go online and type in "find a psychologist" followed by your telephone area code or zip code. you can also put the name of your insurance in your search. but it seems if you're in the pre-op process, your medical team should include a psychologist, or be able to make a referral on your behalf.

Back