• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Beyond the scale

I went shopping today to look for a dress I have two weddings to go to, I tried on a bunch of them, I was surprised that I fit into a large and I actually have some curves , I'm not to happy with my knees though, but the rest of me didn't look to bad, remember its not always about the numbers, I am a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl, this dress thing is new to me, I just have to work on my legs, maybe some extra time on the bike will whip them into shape

Last edited:
I went shopping today to look for a dress I have two weddings to go to, I tried on a bunch of them, I was surprised that I fit into a large and I actually have some curves , I'm not to happy with my knees though, but the rest of me didn't look to bad, remember its not always about the numbers, I am a jeans and t-shirt kinda girl, this dress thing is new to me, I just have to work on my legs, maybe some extra time on the bike will whip them into shape
Awesome job girl. Ignore those legs. They'll come along as you lose more weight. For my trip to Hawaii, I decided to forego shorts since I'd probably be too small for them in no time. I decided to go with skorts and dresses. Like you, I hate my knees, but I'm concentrating on the good areas. Keep up the good work.

I ordered a dress in a 14/16 thinking it would fit by the time I need it in May for my granddaughter's 8th grade graduation. It came Thurs. and I tried it on. It fits. It's just a long (maxi) dress made out of the crinkle material so it will be easy to pack. I was surprised it fit. Won't look bad if it's a little big by then, however. I still wear size 18 in jeans and capris and 1x (down from 3x) in shirts. Some of those are getting a little big, tho. I guess it's all in how they are made. However, I am happy with my progress so far. I did try an XL on the other day from the "not plus size" department and it fit. Hooray!
We're all doing great and I like having this group to chat with. Sometimes I get discouraged but I am working through it. I saw a woman that sits a couple of rows away from me at work the other day and she told me I look fantastic. She asked me how I was doing it and I told her I had surgery. I hadn't really told anyone at work except the 2 women that sit closest to me and my boss but now I don't care who knows. She made me feel good!!!

Awesome job girl. Ignore those legs. They'll come along as you lose more weight. For my trip to Hawaii, I decided to forego shorts since I'd probably be too small for them in no time. I decided to go with skorts and dresses. Like you, I hate my knees, but I'm concentrating on the good areas. Keep up the good work.
Any room in your suitcase for me, I will hopefully be smaller and will fit, I have always wanted to go to Hawaii, some day I will make it there, we are going to the Bahamas again this year for our vacation

Do you have any room in your suitcase for me, I plan on being small
I ordered a dress in a 14/16 thinking it would fit by the time I need it in May for my granddaughter's 8th grade graduation. It came Thurs. and I tried it on. It fits. It's just a long (maxi) dress made out of the crinkle material so it will be easy to pack. I was surprised it fit. Won't look bad if it's a little big by then, however. I still wear size 18 in jeans and capris and 1x (down from 3x) in shirts. Some of those are getting a little big, tho. I guess it's all in how they are made. However, I am happy with my progress so far. I did try an XL on the other day from the "not plus size" department and it fit. Hooray!
We're all doing great and I like having this group to chat with. Sometimes I get discouraged but I am working through it. I saw a woman that sits a couple of rows away from me at work the other day and she told me I look fantastic. She asked me how I was doing it and I told her I had surgery. I hadn't really told anyone at work except the 2 women that sit closest to me and my boss but now I don't care who knows. She made me feel good!!!
You are doing so great, it is awesome to share our good and bad moments with each other, we are from different parts of the US but all going through the same thing

thanks Tracy. I get discouraged every so often but try to talk myself out of it. I am determined for this to be a success. I went through too much to not make it.

thanks Tracy. I get discouraged every so often but try to talk myself out of it. I am determined for this to be a success. I went through too much to not make it.
We all do, but that is why we have each other, we all need to stick together and support each other, cause if one of us fails we could all fail, and I need you all to help me do this, and I will try my best to help you all

How awesome that has got to feel. Seeing those shrinking sizes is a great motivator. Keep it up.

I went shopping this morning for a little while. Tried on a pair of size 16 capris, just to see if they fit. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to button them. To my great surprise, they actually fit and I didn't have any trouble buttoning them. I didn't buy them, however. I have several pairs of that size downstairs so I will dig them out and try them on again. I did find a pair of size 20 jeans still in my closet so I tried them on and they are way too big. LOVE IT!!!! I bought a Bowflex Tread Climber last week. My husband is putting it together today so I can start using it. That should help. I am using the recumbent bike at work and downstairs.

I went shopping this morning for a little while. Tried on a pair of size 16 capris, just to see if they fit. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to button them. To my great surprise, they actually fit and I didn't have any trouble buttoning them. I didn't buy them, however. I have several pairs of that size downstairs so I will dig them out and try them on again. I did find a pair of size 20 jeans still in my closet so I tried them on and they are way too big. LOVE IT!!!! I bought a Bowflex Tread Climber last week. My husband is putting it together today so I can start using it. That should help. I am using the recumbent bike at work and downstairs.
You are doing great and the new machine will keep those numbers dropping

I dug out the size 16 capris downstairs and the majority of them fit. Hooray.
That is great, wait till you have to start buying new ones cause they are to big, I had so many different sizes from my yoyo diets, and I finally got to buy new ones, some of my old ones still fit though, lucky our sears was going out of business so I got a bunch of jeans for a great low price and some shirts, some don't fit yet and some do, but it is amazing when you finally fit into pants that you only did in your dreams, you will soon run out and have to go shopping

Back