• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Biking

3momchaos

I have not been biking in years, more like over a decade, because I’ve always been afraid that my weight would pop the tires. A while back I got a bike from my neighbor that needed fixing up. It’s a simple beach cruiser. Today I biked 6.8 miles on a trail. My legs feel like jelly and my back hurts, but I am really proud that I stopped worrying about the tires and started caring more about my exercise. I know it’ll be a while after surgery before I can ride again, but I used to love mountain and trail biking, and can see myself getting back into it after I’m cleared. This really helped me break through a mental barrier that I can do healthy things despite my obesity.

Congrats to you! That is a long way and quite an accomplishment. And biking is a great idea right now. I'm going to have to look for a bike myself. Last weekend we went to the Smoky Mountains to take a few scenic drives and social distance. We ended up doing some hiking, which I have NEVER done, cuz well, I assumed I couldn't and I wouldn't enjoy it anyway. But, it was surprisingly great and I felt amazing afterward. We even hiked the 1/2 mile up to Clingmans Dome, which isn't far but it's really steep. I think the best thing about the weight loss surgery journey is the change in attitude from "I can't" to "well, I'm going to" It's great that you've started to make yourself stronger before you ever have surgery. It will help you now and after. By all your posts, I can tell you are really sticking to the program and are going to do great. Keep it up.

Congrats to you! That is a long way and quite an accomplishment. And biking is a great idea right now. I'm going to have to look for a bike myself. Last weekend we went to the Smoky Mountains to take a few scenic drives and social distance. We ended up doing some hiking, which I have NEVER done, cuz well, I assumed I couldn't and I wouldn't enjoy it anyway. But, it was surprisingly great and I felt amazing afterward. We even hiked the 1/2 mile up to Clingmans Dome, which isn't far but it's really steep. I think the best thing about the weight loss surgery journey is the change in attitude from "I can't" to "well, I'm going to" It's great that you've started to make yourself stronger before you ever have surgery. It will help you now and after. By all your posts, I can tell you are really sticking to the program and are going to do great. Keep it up.
That is awesome! I love the Smoky Mountains. I really enjoy hiking. I did some hiking there a few years back. I don’t remember which trails, but I remember hiking up to a waterfall, it was a paved path hike, and then we scaled down part of the falls. It was so invigorating! I told my husband I want to go back the summer after my surgery because I’ll have so much more energy and my joints, hopefully, won’t hurt as bad, but bring our kids this time.

Back