• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Blood Sugar Level

how many of you had to have your sugar level below 7.0 (ac 1 test) just curious because my last blood work was horrible I think it came back 11, it's back under control again thanks to massive change in diet and dr also upped the insulin 2 more units, so 12 units once a day and still take 2 other diabetic meds. so if any of you were told to get your AC! number under control before surgery please let me know, thanks
Donna

how many of you had to have your sugar level below 7.0 (ac 1 test) just curious because my last blood work was horrible I think it came back 11, it's back under control again thanks to massive change in diet and dr also upped the insulin 2 more units, so 12 units once a day and still take 2 other diabetic meds. so if any of you were told to get your AC! number under control before surgery please let me know, thanks
Donna
Donna,My A1cs used to run in the mid 7s and that was with lots of meds-my a1cs post op have been-7.1,6.8,6.4 and 5.9.All these results are non-medicated numbers.I haven't taken anything since my surgery but my diet is very low carb-lower than pre-op really.That's by choice.I was always on oral meds,never on insulin.My case was not as severe as yours and I was Type II.

I don't think they'll operate on you without getting your blood sugars under control. Undergoing the surgery, anesthesia and pain meds, etc., during surgery that will make your blood sugars spike for sure. I am 3 weeks post op and was taken off my Metformin today. No more Diabetic Meds, and my blood pressure med was cut in half too. Prior to surgery I was taking a shot of Victoza & 2 Metformin daily...today I am med free! I hope that you can get your blood sugar under control, so that you can have the surgery. Good Luck!

Back