• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Blood sugar

I did not. That being said, surgery does not always cure diabetes. And even when it does, it may take more time. Also, look at the types of food you're eating and the amounts of added sugars.

Last edited:
I am not eating any added sugars. I am staying in my diabetic diet since it’s been n my normal diet for 4 years. I am eating mostly eating protein. I did read that my blood sugar can fluctuate for the first few minutes nrhs because of my hormones. I will talk to my PC at my next appointment.

I didn't mean that you were adding sugar but the added sugars in packaged foods. Most of us early on have to rely on protein enhanced foods yo meet our goals. Some of them add a surprising amount of sugar.

Discussing with your doctor is a great place to start.

I didn't mean that you were adding sugar but the added sugars in packaged foods. Most of us early on have to rely on protein enhanced foods yo meet our goals. Some of them add a surprising amount of sugar.

Discussing with your doctor is a great place to start.
I know what you meant and I don’t eat anything with added sugars. I don’t eat packaged foods. My diabetic diet didn’t allow it. Everything I ate was homemade or sugar free and low carbs. I kept my carbs at 20 per day.

My blood sugar was in the normal range right after surgery but now it is high again. Anyone else experience this?
Hello!
My rather lacking understanding is that diabetes means, essentially, that your body cannot regulate your blood sugar in an effective manner. Surgery has been proved to help many patients enter remission, but it usually takes some time. So I would guess your body is adjusting to its new diet (after all, it really is a dramatic change). Talking to your physician is an imperative in this case, as you are well aware. Someone I knew had blood sugar highs and lows shortly after bariatric surgery, because her body was having trouble adjusting to the dramatic caloric reduction, and under stress after major surgery. She is okay now, but felt scared and regretful for some weeks. Please take care of yourself.

I know what you meant and I don’t eat anything with added sugars. I don’t eat packaged foods. My diabetic diet didn’t allow it. Everything I ate was homemade or sugar free and low carbs. I kept my carbs at 20 per day.
How are you doing now? It certainly seems like you're doing all you can on your own to keep your blood sugar down. I know our bodies go through a huge digestive process post op. What has your doc told you? Curious.

Back