• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Blues Busters

Exercise and activity, even when I don't feel like it, or I'll do something like taking on a little art project, even if I know it won't be a masterpiece. Every time we complete or accomplish things we get little hits of dopamine and other hormones that can improve mood. If I'm in a real funk, I'll talk with a therapist, and I've been on medication in the past which was very successful in getting me through a difficult time.

Looking for things to do that provides a feeling of accomplishment - finishing a project, walking a certain distance, completing that book you have wanted to finish, etc. Those kinds of things can help. It's not always easy to get started, but the finish line is rewarding and can help uplift spirits.

Diane I’m sorry you are feeling the blues but you are not alone. What has help me is keeping my mind busy. I undertake crafts. I recently learned how to make a piñata, make a Catrina a skull lady, sew a skull pillow, etc. I’m obsessed with skull lol! Keep your mind busy. Read a book, create a painting on canvas, make a craft, color detailed pages on a coloring book, listen to lively music and dance! Walk/run by a beach or lake, organize or redecorate a room in your house. You got this Dianne!!

Lulu is on to something. I do jigsaw puzzles especially through this stay at home time. I find it is almost meditative in that part of your brain can concentrate on something almost mindless, and the rest of the brain can work out what it needs to without concentration. I'm embarrassed to say I've purchased about 10 puzzles off of amazon! I have two that have not been opened--yet! You've made it through big stuff, Diane, this is just a little pebble in your way--keep stepping! :)

My favorite hobby has always been reading. But early in the year, I had several traumatic changes in my life, as well as the pandemic and I could not even focus enough to read. Quite honestly, I really could not focus enough to do anything that took much time or effort. I also could not sleep. As a person who had never really struggled to "suck it up" as they say, I was surprised that I could not talk myself into feeling better. Sometimes busting those blues requires more than a can do attitude. I eventually started doing crafts (I like Christmas ones in particular), working in my yard and painting. There are wonderful video tutorials online. However, I have noticed this is not the first, or even the second, time that you have mentioned being depressed. I hope if this is a long term or regular feeling that you are having, you will feel comfortable calling your doctor and asking for help. When I called mine, she temporarily gave me something to help me sleep, and an anti-anxiety med, which actually helped me focus enough to start doing those things I mentioned. Everyone is feeling the effects of these trying, uncertain times. They have left many isolated, lacking basic necessities and scared for their health and the health of their loved ones. Many of us will need more help than ideas on how to stay busy. If I am overstepping, I apologize.

You guys are the nicest people on Earth. I'm really lucky that I stumbled upon this group. And we just keep adding more fabulous members who think about others more than they think about themselves.

I actually am accustomed to being depressed. I have been in therapy for 46 years. That's longer than a lot of you have been alive. But I knew something was wrong with me and I took steps to find out what. I am as well medicated as I can be without giving into heavy drugs that would turn me into a zombie. PTSD is the gift that keeps on giving. So my decision was to put my foot down at a certain point and just except that some of it would never go away.

And yes, I have had some real challenges lately and have been made unhappy when I did not deserve to be made unhappy. But I am accustomed to it. Part of the way that I deal with the blues is I come here and read this group and try to get to know you by looking at your profiles and your posts and try to interact with you once I know what your interests are.

I know that I am joined here by many people who were abused as children in every way you can abuse a child. You can heal the wounds overtime. But repeating the problems, telling your life story, is like reliving it again and it's a negative reinforcement that I try to avoid. Nonetheless, those wounds always turn into scars.

What a great bunch of suggestions people have. I hope people will keep sending in their suggestions. I have for the last four days been cleaning and organizing and disposing of crap around the house. I'm actually feeling pretty virtuous about that. I'm not posting as much as I usually do because I am actually living life instead.

Thank you for your many gifts. If there's anything I can ever do for anyone here, please let me know. I will give anything I can.

Get into doing puzzles the time flies by, I started cleaning closets, have a garage sale, U will be able to purchase all the new clothes U will need. LOL
Yes exercise & take the dogs for a walk, put your headset on, it passes the time & keeps me going better.

I would like to find someone in my area for long walks whos going through weight loss surgery, its helps having a walking partner.

For me, getting active is my go-to. Doing it early (morning) is crucial for me.

Pushing myself physically takes my mind off problems and I focus exclusively on my well being for a little while...mostly trying to stay alive. So for the stress of life, the anxiety of responsibilities and the unknown, the frustration of being out of control of so many critical things, the realization of unmet expectations - all of it it is suspended for a while while I simply force myself to continue existing.

And every time when my brain tells me I can't do any more, I'm out of breath, my knee's can't take any more pounding, my feet are aching, my muscles are sore, it's too hot, I feel a little sick, am I overheating, did I almost just throw my back out, today can be a light day and I can make it up tomorrow, do I need to stop and pee, do I need to stop to get a drink, do I need to just stop for a few minutes and rest...every time I win these battles I gain confidence, I learn to distrust my always-present doubts, that I am stronger than I think I am.

Somehow all of this seems to trickle over into the rest of the day. Sort of like making your bed in the morning, the first in a chain of events of getting things done and caring for yourself.

Right now it’s getting in the water. I joined a pool once my surgeon said I could do water walking. I don’t swim laps or anything, I just walk in the pool. It’s been amazing for me, the sunshine & water & looking at the pretty blue sky. Once it closes for the Fall I’ll have to figure something else out.

Yeah, my YMCA just sent an update about reopening. But so far, reopening in any state has been a disaster. And they are not going to open the pool until two weeks after they've been open. And of course, you need a reservation to work out there. I am personally extremely freaked out about going in a pool where a bunch of non-mask-wearing idiots are sloshing around. On the other hand nothing is better at fighting a virus then chlorine, so a pool might be the safest place I could be.

it's at least it's at least 95 degrees here today in Seattle with about 60% humidity. But I went out to the Farmers Market and bought a whole bunch of beautiful vegetables. Then I picked up some stuff at Rite Aid, then went on to my favorite coffee shop, where I sat in the backyard under a big umbrella. Now I'm home with my fan on top speed and, TMI, I'm about to take my pants off.

In the dollar aisle at Rite Aid I found those wonderful little plastic pill holders. They sell them four to a package for $1. Get your own before they run out!

I usually need to get to the bottom of what thoughts or feelings bring on the depression. Then I let them run through me and out the other side. It sounds simplistic, but it's a process.

Back