• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

bone loss

Ms Susie

Hi all, had bypass gastric in 2001, just recently diagnosed with thinning bones, what should I take? I have not taken time or care of myself in the last few years due to illiness and death of husband, so now I am paying the price, thank you

3000 mg of Calcium Citrate daily is what was recommended in my education program. They follow up with blood tests every six months after surgery. What advice were you given?

I am so sorry about your husband. I lost mine in 2010 and I just keep thinking how happy he would be that I'm finally doing something about the weight (AND HE'S SAYING WHY THE HELL DIDN'T YOU DO IT WHEN I WAS ALIVE?). If your bones are already thinning it's probably time for one of those heavy duty meds, like Blythe Danner advertises on TV

3000 mg of Calcium Citrate daily is what was recommended in my education program. They follow up with blood tests every six months after surgery. What advice were you given?

I was told to take 1000 - 1200 mg of Calcium Citrate a day but this is the amount I took pre-surgery so I dont think it is enough..my nails have become softer since the surgery. So you think 3000 mg wouldnt be too much ?? Thanks

Talk to your doctor, and follow their advice to the letter, and keep after them to follow through. Also, if you are not already, get back on some great supplements to start getting healthy. Honor your husbands memory by taking care of yourself. I think he would approve.

Back