• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bread

Fosgate

I once saw a documentary about bread, gluten and some bread making history. (Exciting I know) I think it was "What's up with Bread" Along with Filthy Riches on National Geographic had a guy that was catching eels and making and selling naturally fermented bread in New York. In it they talk about gluten intolerances and how bread today doesn't have much to be desired unless we add sugar or animal fat (butter) etc.

I find it increasingly difficult to eat any bread. I was remined of this theory of those shows when the wife and I went to Outback and had some shrimp and the Rye bread I used to enjoy came out. I was quickly reminded when I bit into it almost all the flavor was animal fat, herbs and salt to make it palatable. It was an instant turnoff as I preferred my shrimp and veggies over any more bread.

I also tried some Quest protein chips and was instantly thought similar. It was like I was eating dirt with some seasoning and instantly turned off by it. I may try ordering some of my favorite Schittbrotchen Brotchen brought in from Munich GE when I order some sausage, red cabbage and mustard soon. Ever since I was stationed in Germany in the early 90's I had a love for bread in Europe that was so tasty and sweet by itself that I frequently would only go downtown and pickup a small loaf of bread to eat for a light meal. I'll be disappointed if I don't even like Brotchen anymore....a little.

So far, bread, ground beef and chicken are the least desirable foods for me to eat. Anyone else have the same or experience this? Did it change for you later?

Youre right those Quest protien chips suck. I have a couple of pieces of toasted bread in the morning and I can handle it . Usually whole wheat toasted. Right now I’ve been having pumpkin spice bread also toasted. I was told as long as you toast your bread it’s ok to eat . Also whole wheat crackers. They are pretty good with a little peanut butter

Idk how it happened, but I've gone from craving bread, to feeling my stomach turn when I look at or even think about bread, noodles, cake, cookies, and many carb rich foods. This has started since my RnY surgery July 12. I have eaten a few bites of white rice with chinese food, a little bit of baby baked potatoes, and rice mei fun noodles with Chinese veggies & meat. Somehow I have overcome my addiction to bread etc. & I hope it lasts for a long while!

I avoided bread for most of the first year with the exception of some little keto buns I would have.

Now, I have one slice a rye bread or a sprouted grain bread almost daily, and that is usually the only bread I have. It is usually with avocado so there is very little glycemic impact from the bread.

I lost my desire for meat after surgery and that hasn’t come back, but I don’t mind it at all. I love the way I eat now.

I haven’t had much in the way of bread. I eat a Kodiak cake protein waffle for breakfast almost every morning, and those settle well and satisfy my carb craving. Beef settles well. Chicken depends on the way it’s cooked and the temp. I have a harder time with cold chicken in salads than warm or hot chicken. Turkey doesn’t settle as well, but I don’t think it’s ever. Eggs are still an issue for me and the only way I can eat them is in egg salad where there’s more mayo than is healthy, so what’s the point? I’ve had regular pastas and those do ok, but I also pack in the protein first. Being almost a year out and a happy weight, I’m trying to shift from weight loss eating to weight maintenance eating, so I’m having some things that I wasn’t having before and watching how the scale moves. So far so good.

I haven’t had much in the way of bread. I eat a Kodiak cake protein waffle for breakfast almost every morning, and those settle well and satisfy my carb craving. Beef settles well. Chicken depends on the way it’s cooked and the temp. I have a harder time with cold chicken in salads than warm or hot chicken. Turkey doesn’t settle as well, but I don’t think it’s ever. Eggs are still an issue for me and the only way I can eat them is in egg salad where there’s more mayo than is healthy, so what’s the point? I’ve had regular pastas and those do ok, but I also pack in the protein first. Being almost a year out and a happy weight, I’m trying to shift from weight loss eating to weight maintenance eating, so I’m having some things that I wasn’t having before and watching how the scale moves. So far so good.
Thank you for this. I will try to revisit this post/thread when I'm about a year out (July 12) and see how I feel about carbs. Your eating/maintenance plan sounds like a really good place to be.

Back