• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Breakfast Burrito w/Tofu

WazzuCoug

This is an egg-less breakfast burrito. I make variations of this for our family, and depending on what you put in it, they freeze well and can be reheated like frozen burritos purchased at the store. The kala namak is a black salt from India that has a sulfuric taste and smell, similar to rotten eggs, BUT in small amounts, it adds an "eggy" taste to the tofu, but I like it just fine without it, too. I also make my own mung bean "egg" mix where I'll use the kala namak. I will use the mung bean liquid to make little "egg" discs for breakfast sandwiches, and they also freeze very well.

Here is a breakfast burrito recipe with tofu. There are other recipes, and I tend to go off on my own tangent with ingredients, sometimes to make them simpler and quicker to make, but this one is fairly easy. It just has a lot of various seasoning.

Ingredients
    • 1 14- or 16-ounce (400/454g) block of firm tofu
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    • ½ teaspoon onion powder
    • ¼ teaspoon paprika
    • ½ teaspoon chipotle chile flakes (crushed chipotle chilies)
    • ½ teaspoon kala namak (AKA Indian black salt), plus more to finish
    • Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
    • 1 generous tablespoon tahini
    • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    • ½ cup (120 mL) plant-based milk of choice, such as oat, cashew, or almond
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil of choice
    • Sea salt or kosher salt to taste

Steps
  • Drain the tofu. Line a cutting board with a few layers of paper towels or a clean dish towel. Place the tofu on top, then weigh it down with a heavy cookbook, or a large plate weighed down by a few cans of beans. Press the tofu for 15 minutes. If you are going to up your tofu use, consider purchasing a Tofu Press. They work great!
  • Make the eggy sauce. In a bowl, whisk together the turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chipotle, kala namak, tahini, and nutritional yeast. Pour in the milk gradually and whisk until you have a nice sauce.
  • Crumble the pressed tofu with your hands into chunks, not too big or too small.
  • Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu to the pan, and fry until it’s lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally but not too often to allow the exterior to get lightly browned. Break up any large chunks of tofu with your spatula but don’t break it up too finely.
  • Add the eggy sauce and fold to combine, using a silicone spatula to coat each piece of tofu with the sauce. Continue frying the tofu until you reach your desired texture and consistency. If you prefer your scramble on the dry side, cook for a few minutes. If you prefer it on the wet side, cook for just 30-60 seconds (I prefer slightly drier for a breakfast burrito).
  • Finish the scramble with a few shakes of kala namak. Taste, and add a pinch of kosher salt or sea salt as needed. Reheat leftovers in a frying pan or in the microwave.

I respectfully suggest that you give this recipe a new name. There is no tortilla, so it’s does not resemble anything close to a burrito. Perhaps it could be called TOFU SCRAMBLE.
Sorry, I thought the tortilla was pretty much a given if one was going to use the scramble as a burrito.

Here is the revised version:

Breakfast scramble or Burrito Mix

Ingredients
    • 1 14- or 16-ounce (400/454g) block of firm tofu
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    • ½ teaspoon onion powder
    • ¼ teaspoon paprika
    • ½ teaspoon chipotle chile flakes (crushed chipotle chilies)
    • ½ teaspoon kala namak (AKA Indian black salt), plus more to finish
    • Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
    • 1 generous tablespoon tahini
    • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    • ½ cup (120 mL) plant-based milk of choice, such as oat, cashew, or almond
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil of choice
    • Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
Steps
  • Drain the tofu. Line a cutting board with a few layers of paper towels or a clean dish towel. Place the tofu on top, then weigh it down with a heavy cookbook, or a large plate weighed down by a few cans of beans. Press the tofu for 15 minutes. If you are going to up your tofu use, consider purchasing a Tofu Press. They work great!
  • Make the eggy sauce. In a bowl, whisk together the turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chipotle, kala namak, tahini, and nutritional yeast. Pour in the milk gradually and whisk until you have a nice sauce.
  • Crumble the pressed tofu with your hands into chunks, not too big or too small.
  • Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu to the pan, and fry until it’s lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally but not too often to allow the exterior to get lightly browned. Break up any large chunks of tofu with your spatula but don’t break it up too finely.
  • Add the eggy sauce and fold to combine, using a silicone spatula to coat each piece of tofu with the sauce. Continue frying the tofu until you reach your desired texture and consistency. If you prefer your scramble on the dry side, cook for a few minutes. If you prefer it on the wet side, cook for just 30-60 seconds (I prefer slightly drier for a breakfast burrito).
  • Finish the scramble with a few shakes of kala namak. Taste, and add a pinch of kosher salt or sea salt as needed. Reheat leftovers in a frying pan or in the microwave.
  • Fill a tortilla or wrap of choice and enjoy it like a burrito, or just a scramble in a bowl.

Back