• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Burping and Protein...

Hello Friends,

I have a follow-up meeting with my doctor on the 6th and will address my concerns then, but I would like to hear from you. I have been instructed to only eat 3 meals a day, about 1/2 cup each. Eating and drinking the first 6-7 weeks was fine - I was able to eat everything on the list but when I started my 8 weeks and beyond I have been having problems. I constantly burp and often my food comes back up. I know that I am not eating too fast because I just ate breakfast with my husband, 1 bite of scrambled egg and toast and I started burping -( I was instructed not to drink a protein drink after the 2nd week. I can eat yogurt, tuna, vegetables, and mashed potatoes...most other foods don't agree with me. How am I supposed to consume 60 grams of protein on 1 1/2 cups of food daily? I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks and have a pleasant Sunday, Nancy

Nancy, are you taking small enough bites and chewing thoroughly enough before swallowing? The other thing I would suggest is to only add one new food at a time. Let me know what the Dr. says.

Frank

:cool:

You had your surgery same day as me. I have the burping problem too!! It can be very frustrating. I can't eat more than a 1/4 cup. I'm finally able to get down a 5 oz Greek yogurt an a egg mashed with a little mayo. Whole wheat crackers go ok. I drink milk up to 12 oz a day to help with protein but I still drink a half of a shake a day my nutritionist said for me to until I can eat more. When I go a week with out throwing up because of the burping I've done good. You sound to be doing much better than me. Keep it up. Donna

You can use a favorless powder protein supliment added to your drinks and food to help you there. I do believe you burping will improve over time.

Cheers

Hello Frank, Donna, and Dennis,
I had my 3 month post-op appointment this past Thursday. My doctor quit the clinic so I saw two nurses. They were pleased with my progress and not at all alarmed by my hair loss. I brought in two little boxes of hair for them to see. They recommended Hair, Skin, and Nails or Biotin, also recommended Nioxin shampoo. I expressed my concern about not being able to smell since I had surgery and my constant burping. They told me that it is probably my post nasal drip and recommend Clariton. They said I probably am not breathing through my noise but instead breathing through my mouth and I am taking in too much air causing the burping. I also had an appointment with my neurosurgeon on Tuesday and mentioned my concern to him about not smelling anything and he said I probably had clogged sinuses. I started taking Clariton today - I will let you know how I make out. Regarding protein intake, additional vitamins, and protein shakes...no I cannot increase my vitamins, no I cannot drink protein shakes after first 2 weeks of surgery. And most of all...I cannot count protein intake even though most sites say you need at least 60 grams per day. The only thing I can count is my 8 glasses of water per day!! They are not concerned that some days I can only get two bites of food down. I do not do good with meats. They said everybody and everyday is different. I am happy with my WL progress but not my hair loss. I will keep you posted on my progress. Good luck to you all as you continue on your WL journey. Hugs, Nancy

I don't understand their thinking on your protein intake. I realize that every program is different but I think I would add some protein powder to foods that I could tolerate. They still recommend that I drink one shake a day but not as my meal, I divide mine up between an afternoon snack and around bedtime. Other times I still drink one for breakfast made as a smoothie when my band is tight in the mornings. My program is very strict on protein intake and they want you to get it in to avoid muscle loss. What they recommend is to use shakes as a supplement until you can get enough by eating protein rich foods. (but they do tell you not to substitute a shake for a meal) To stop shakes at two weeks post surgery just seems strange to me. I think your hair loss is definitely from not getting enough protein. I may be all wet but that is how I see it. I also think if you increase your protein consumption you would lose better as well.

I agree with Javajoy, protein is important to losing weight safely and quickly. I know that there are differences between different doctors, but it is always in the amount of protein you get. Never have I heard anyone say, don't worry about protein. That makes no sense. I would check with another office, to get a second opinion. Something's not right, either they are flat out wrong or there is a major miscommunication going on here. Definitely check with another surgeon to be sure. Good luck.

Frank

:cool:

As an added note, when I asked about protein and having a smoothie in the morning I was told "that is what Leslie recommends". Leslie is the Nutritionist for my program and she gives everyone her phone number. They often say they don't know the answer and tell me to call her. The Doctor says "I do the surgery, Leslie does the nutrition so call her". I think they would both be appalled if you were told not to drink protein after two weeks. My friend who is also a nurse as am I had gastric bypass at the center where I had mine and she still drinks a protein shake now and then even though she is at goal. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do but I think you have gotten bad advice. Do you chew gum or use a straw? Sometimes that causes you to swallow air and causes burping. Additionally, check out the spices you are using and start weeding out any and all foods that might be the causative agents until you find out what might be causing it. Good luck. Joy

Back