• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

But I love carbonation...and wine...

ljwinterh

I've finished up my pre-surgery requirements and am at that fateful decision point on to have or not to have...while I'm intellectually prepared for the life style changes post surgery, a couple keep tripping me up... I love sparkling water (and Fresca) and enjoy a glass of wine or whiskey at Happy Hour - am I facing a life without either? How has your experience been post op?

I know people that still are able to have carbonation... I am not one of them. I do, however, drink wine. I had a revision from sleeve to bypass at the end of August and had wine for the first time beginning of December. It affects me differently now, so where I used to be able to drink a few glasses, one glass will last me and usually is too much to finish (unless it is a tiny glass like port). Everyone is different, and you may not even like either after surgery. Tastes change for some reason - I don't really understand why. No matter whether it is foods or drinks, it is important to wait until the surgeon gives clearance so that you don't cause problems that could be easily avoided. Once you do introduce anything new, go carefully and listen to your body. Don't push something that your body clearly doesn't want.

... I love sparkling water (and Fresca) and enjoy a glass of wine or whiskey at Happy Hour - am I facing a life without either? How has your experience been post op?
We have all been where you are. The question that is weighing in the balance is surgery versus all the foods you love.

this is something that you'll have to consider very seriously because it is very important to you. Would you forgo the surgery that might save your life and change it from the nightmare you live in 2 a normal place where you can eat normal Foods after a time of structure diet.

I drink and occasional Coke and drink wine with and without meals when I want it. I also drink through a straw, drink caffeine, and every food that I ever loved Before I had the surgery 12 years ago

however, my body decided that there were however, that my body decided that there were foods that it did not want me to eat anymore and these are generally foods that are loaded with sugar and when I see pictures of them in commercials, food in slow motion being smothered in gooey sauce, I just about want to throw up.

my rule is that before I can my rule is that before I can have anything else to eat, I need to get my 50 to 70 g of protein into my body. After that, my choices are based on calorie content. And I never suffer.

Surgery is a tool that helps you affect a lifestyle change. Once you have that change and you are no longer ruled by your eating disorder, your personality changes in the most positive way. You want to eat food that's good for you, and you want to eat protein. Your body is in charge, not your disorder.

this this return to fun food doesn't happen right away and generally people say that it starts happening for them a year or two after the surgery.

please don't let that please don't let that be the deciding factor and taking this step to save your life.

I so appreciate your response - Initially I wasn't considering the fact that my body may not "want" the foods I used to crave and feel deprived when not having...focusing on that vs all the things I "can't" or "won't be able to" do - which is what brain has been clinging too...the self-talk track of "gee life won't be as fun" and "you won't be able to share a bottle of wine anymore" etc. has been drowning out the positive track - time to switch the station I think :)

I so appreciate your response - Initially I wasn't considering the fact that my body may not "want" the foods I used to crave and feel deprived when not having...focusing on that vs all the things I "can't" or "won't be able to" do - which is what brain has been clinging too...the self-talk track of "gee life won't be as fun" and "you won't be able to share a bottle of wine anymore" etc. has been drowning out the positive track - time to switch the station I think :)
Your tastes will change, it's crazy! When I discovered that I no longer liked ice cream, you could have knocked me over with a feather!

I've never told myself that I couldn't have a certain food or drink again, just that I can't have it today. I'm a recovering alcoholic and I take the same "one day at a time"approach with this surgery. It's all you can promise yourself. If I think too much about never being able to have another drink, the depression would have me running to the liquor store, hehe. ;) The same goes with foods I love.

Good luck and welcome. :)

My surgeon requires us to sign a contract stating we won’t drink alcohol for two years after the surgery. One drink will have a much larger impact on us that it had in the past. I’m fortunate that it’s not a big deal for me as I’ve never been a big drinker. I also hear the nutritionist in the back of my head telling us not to “drink our calories,”

I’d rather spend my calories on sugar free chocolate pudding.:)

I've finished up my pre-surgery requirements and am at that fateful decision point on to have or not to have...while I'm intellectually prepared for the life style changes post surgery, a couple keep tripping me up... I love sparkling water (and Fresca) and enjoy a glass of wine or whiskey at Happy Hour - am I facing a life without either? How has your experience been post op?
My surgeon/nutritionist just told me that alcohol will have a greater effect and to be careful. I have an adult beverage once or twice a week, just one! I always have done, it’s something I really enjoy ;) I also drink coffee every day. I don’t really crave any foods, and have totally gone off anything sweet.

My surgeon/nutritionist just told me that alcohol will have a greater effect and to be careful. I have an adult beverage once or twice a week, just one! I always have done, it’s something I really enjoy ;) I also drink coffee every day. I don’t really crave any foods, and have totally gone off anything sweet.
It certainly does have a great effect! I have only had wine twice so far and both times I was feeling tipsy after about 4 oz. I certainly don't drink often but I know that if I am going to, I need to make sure I'm not the one driving if I am out somewhere.

Back