• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Bypass, hunger, and the stomach

Hello from Indiana.
I am going to do the bypass in August. I’m curious if leaving the stomach in causes hunger? I can’t imagine leaving the stomach there, it being empty and not feeling hungry all the time.
Also, does the reconnection eliminate the hunger hormones like the sleeve?
Lastly, I need help with emotional eating. What suggestions can you offer me? Support groups? Counseling? Where do I go from here?
Thanks in advance for your patience and answers!!

Hello from Indiana.
I am going to do the bypass in August. I’m curious if leaving the stomach in causes hunger? I can’t imagine leaving the stomach there, it being empty and not feeling hungry all the time.
Lastly, I need help with emotional eating. What suggestions can you offer me? Support groups? Counseling? Where do I go from here?

Welcome, Hoosier! For my money, this support group has been the best resource around. Hang out and read the archives, where you can search by keyword like "hunger" and "hormones," which can direct you to many answers and experiences.

The ASMBS, of course, is another great resource, but lacks the human touch and support you'll find here. They do have lots of great illustrations, which really helped me.

I don't think leaving most or part of the stomach inside has any effect. I remember reading that necessary hormones remain intact after surgery. There are several gastric bypass techniques that result in different digestive routines. Also, emotional eating and eating disorders are not cured by surgery, but in reading thousands of posts over the 16 years I've been in this group, most people find their obsessions greatly lessened. The fact that the amount you can eat is drastically reduced sort of creates a chicken/egg dynamic, where you might want to eat, but since you can't eat as much, your habit changes, and that can lead to many scenarios.

I found a great book a long time ago, "The Only Diet There is," which is actually NOT a diet book about food. It's a "diet from negative thinking," and man, does it work great if you're ready for it. There are exercises in the book, and I found it's useful very early on into reading. It's not a thick book, either, and you might be able to benefit from it whether you read 30 pages or 100 pages.

You're doing the right thing by asking such great questions. Keep up your curiosity and read everything you can. It really helps.

The reason this group is great is that 1) people looking for help come here, 2) people who've been helped come here, and 3) people stick around, no matter what kind of success or failure they have. It truly is the richest resource of all the ones I've found on the Internet.

Hello from Indiana.
When my doctor was explaining the sleeve surgery to me, he said the part of the stomach that makes the "hunger hormones", is the part they take out.

Hi when I had my bypass she took it out. Said I didn’t need it. She also took out my gallbladder since apparently there’s an extremely high risk that you can end up with gall stones or some other type of infection and they‘ll have to take it out then. If can get therapy for your emotional eating that would be one of the best things you could do. They can help you figure out why you do it, what you could instead, and things like that. After what they call the honeymoon period (about a year or two) you can usually eat more things and some people slip back into their old habits. The surgery really is just a tool, the rest is up to you. It’s all a mind set and remember most importantly it’s a journey not a race, don’t compare yourself to others (I see that in other groups). Everyone loses weight differently. If you follow what your doctor and nutritionist tell you, you’ll do great.

Hi! I just had sleeve surgery on 1/9. So far, I have never felt hungry, so I am having to force myself to eat. I'm trying my best to follow the eating schedule outlined by the dietician who works with the surgeon's office. Counseling and any type of support group would be helpful to exploring emotional eating. I'm sure the surgeon you work with will have a dietician you need to meet with several times prior to surgery who will help you make adjustments to your current diet. It's a big change, but you'll be successful!

Hi. I am also in Indiana so welcome!! I had the bypass and they left my stomach in. It is attached but not really lol You'll have to look up the details since its been 3 years and I've forgotten the specifics. But, no I'm not any hungrier than the sleeve patients. I have 3 cousins AND a husband who had the sleeve so I do have some knowledge there as well!

I believe its basically a hormone reset. They're shut down for a while and then they start working again. You will eventually feel hunger again. You'll also feel full. They reset to what they were before we messed up the signals by overeating and go-to dieting and all the other crazy things we put our bodies through to become obese in the first place.

I do get hungry. I do occasionally eat things that aren't ideal or eat too much. But not too TOO much cuz .. Tiny pouch. If you stick to whole foods and not processed garbage, you can easily fill up without overeating.

Emotional eating is different. If you can get a therapist, I'd recommend it. That doesn't go away without working on those issues too.

Back