• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Can I succeed with gastric bypass, bad diabetes, and severe depression?

wobbly

I have had a lap-band since 2010. It bought me some years and I don't regret it, but I have regained most of the weight by now.
Really poorly controlled diabetes ... glucose was 425 this morning. Neuropathy making it hard to keep my balance.
Really bad depression immobilizes me much of the time.

Surely gastric bypass (GB) will help with the diabetes.
My concern is that if (when) my depression prevents me from doing what I need to do with GB what problems would (will) occur?
  • missing meds & vitamins
  • eating beyond capacity of the pouch
  • cheating eating: ice cream, high-calorie beverages etc. that are not quantity-limited by the pouch
  • not exercising
  • drinking during meals
  • eating too many times per day
  • whatever else
I'm not planning to fail at these things but I know how I am and would like to understand the consequequences before I do this.

Thanks for any comments, experience, advice

I recommend finding a good therapist and schedule regular appointments. If depression is bad I also recommend getting a medication evaluation either through your doc or a referral to a psychiatrist. Mental health struggles will impact this process especially if they are not well managed. Some people also struggle a little with mental health during this process simply from the rapid changes and a therapist can help you navigate all of it and make further recommendations based on what they see.

Hello Wobbly! I think it’s really great that you’ve made a list of what you think your greatest challenges will be. I had a list similar when I started my process, and I discussed all of them with the weight loss counselor. I did not have diabetes, pre diabetic when I started, but that was a great concern for me. Also, how could I do this knowing that poor eating choices, a lot of them through depression and anxiety, helped me get to where I was? I was reassured through the counselor that even being in her office was the first huge step in gaining back control of my life and she was there to help, but also that was the major concern of the majority of her patients. I think finding counseling outside of the bariatric realm might also do you good. Having access to both could put you in the mindset of having someone there to hold you accountable. I believe that if you set your mind to success with attainable goals before surgery, you will be successful after surgery.

It's good that you are thinking about this ahead of time and writing it down should help with your awareness, however I agree that a good counselor that specializes in eating disorders and depression would be your best bet. If you have already started the process, your bariatric center should have the names of a few psychologists that they use during the screening process. Let the bariatric team know of your concerns.

It's good that you are thinking about this ahead of time and writing it down should help with your awareness, however I agree that a good counselor that specializes in eating disorders and depression would be your best bet. If you have already started the process, your bariatric center should have the names of a few psychologists that they use during the screening process. Let the bariatric team know of your concerns.

On this note therapists are crazy booked right now and psychologist are MONTHS out with waits largely because most of them focus on neuropsych testing. You will have better luck quicker finding a highly skilled therapist.

I am scheduled for surgery feb15. I am on duloxatine 60mg to keep me stable- for mood swings- my highs go high and lows go low. I have been on meds for 25 years.
My dietician put me on a bubble diabetic diet to start my journey for surgery. I am not diabetic, I was pre diabetic in 2018 But that dropped off with A1C never above 5.0. I have lost 18 pounds or 21 pounds since July, I don’t remember if the 18 pounds includes the three pounds from Jan 11. You fill in the bubbles but also write out your food with it. Breakfast is 1 carb, 3 protein and 3 fat. The diet took a while to get used to. By eating the way the setup is I find I am never hungry. Sweets... my downfall but I have sorta worked it in. My protein shake is my sweet cheat. 1 cup fair life chocolate milk, 1 chocolate carnation breakfast protein packet, a tablespoon of sugar free chocolate syrup, and ice. Blend it up and tada you have a healthy milkshake.
after reading some posts here I noticed that sometimes your home support is just not enough. I have requested a therapist to assist me after surgery. I oopsed this week and slept through the initial appt. I told them I needed afternoon apt. So we learned. She is looking for a more appropriate counselor for me in the meantime.
I wish you the best

If I may recommend a book to you? It's called Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg. This book would go great with therapy to help you so the sleeve doesn't just buy you time, but so it buys you a long happy healthy life. You are worthy of happiness and good health. Do whatever it takes to push through and you will come out on the other side with a whole new life.

Roni, in Seattle we have a "warm line." Its a way to vent or cry or just know someone's out there to help. I use it when i need it, even though i have two mental health workers as well as two other social workers attached to helpful agencies.

I used to tell my troubles to friends but that was such an abuse of friendship, I finally realized I needed an unrelated listener.

Also, you are so keenly aware of possible roadblocks, daily affirmations would work great for you. Take the bullet list you made and translate fear into your future reality. Use the technique I've mentioned here many times, found in this book:

Draw a line down the middle of a page. In one column, write, "I'll forget to take my meds." In the opposite column, write "I'll set a timer to take my meds." If your body responds as if what you said is true, go back to the first column and write, "I'll eat food until I overstuff my pouch." Go to the next column and write an affirmation like, "I will weigh and measure my food." Let's say that didn't give you that great feeling of belief and power, so go back to the first column and write, "I'll eat food until I overstuff my pouch" again. In the affirmation column, write "I feel great with two ounces of food in my stomach." Repeat the negative thought in the first column and the new positive in the second as many times as it takes to neutralize it. The affirmation column should get stronger every time you write a new one.

When you do this, you can tear the pages down the middle. Burn the first column. Use the second column as your list of affirmations, tailored to what you want to become your true beliefs.

I recommend this all the time because it truly changed my thoughts and the toxic lies that had been fed to me from birth. I also put my affirmations on a CD and played them on my Discman when I went for walks or worked out.

Considering the gigatons of criticism and insults I experienced from birth, it's amazing how much these actually helped me. But it took a long time and a lot of repetition.

Thank you for all the well wishes and sharing what worked for you.

so...
What are the consequences of failing in the ways I've described above?

For example, with the lap-band, the consequence of noncompliance is basically just the return of the excess fat.
Gastric Bypass is a lot more intrusive to the body and body chemistry, are there pitfalls which could result in even worse outcomes ?

Here’s what will happen concerning what you asked about in the first post. I’m just going to be really honest, and no ill intention is meant by this.
The issues with you missing med or vitamins: the acid reducer you have to take will help your new pouch heal and if you miss it then you risk acid reflux and destroying your esophagus.
Missing vitamins means becoming deficient in vital nutrients and your entire body will suffer the consequences.
Eating beyond capacity means risking ripping your pouch which could cause very serious problems and even death, but the smaller issue would be vomiting, but you keep doing that and you’ll hurt your esophagus. Over eating in small amounts will stretch your new pouch and you’ll be back where you started.
Cheat foods are going to happen, you just don’t eat the amount you used to. I’ve had a cookie and a bite of ice cream, but I don’t want to risk dumping syndrome, so I stopped at a very small amount.
Not exercising just means you won’t be building back the muscle you lose during your normal weight loss. More muscle means your body can burn more fat on its own. But also exercise is important for your cardiovascular health. Strong healthy hearts are important.
Drinking during meals can stretch your pouch plus you aren’t concentrating your calories on your food, you’re filling up on liquids.

Malnutrition, vitamin deficiency, anemia, stretching of or permanent damage to your pouch, dumping, vomiting, pain and failure to lose weight and/or keep your weight off. Not to mention the reversal of any/all improvements to any current health issues; diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol etc. This surgery is a tool to be used to gain control of your eating and health. Just like the nail does not embed itself into the wall just because you own a hammer, gastric bypass does not work if you don't use it. We have all forgotten to take a vitamin or eaten a "cheat" food but the vast majority of the time, we have to follow the rules. I would suggest, as the others did, getting a therapist and striving to get to a place mentally where you can succeed physically.

Wobbly, maybe just staying with the group for a while and observe what others are going through might give you some clarity. It's a big decision and of course shouldn't be rushed. There will be posts both good and bad, successes and struggles that might sort out the pros and cons. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.

If wishful thinking burned calories we’d all be wisps on the wind. But in truth, at least for me, there’s a small amount of doubt that I can succeed long term. I have strong will power and a lot of determination. Plus this group helps me stay accountable even though they aren’t looking over my shoulder with ever bite I take. But no one knows the future. I could fall into bad eating habits, depression could grip me again, I could get hurt and not be able to make a lot of my own food choices. Most of us go into this with trepidation. Don’t leave the group because you aren’t ready. You might be ready eventually, and on your way there you might have more questions.

Wobbly, you don't have to be ready for the surgery yet, but you do need to get a place where you can commit yourself to making the changes you need to. You've made a list of your personal challenges and the consequences. Now, make a list of ways to overcome those challenges; ways you can succeed. A list of the BENEFITS, which far outweigh the challenges. It's hard and scary to make life changes. Especially when you have depression to deal with, which can take away your will to sit up, much less make a healthy meal. So, how do you deal with those days? When you're ready, ask us THAT. That glucose number alone does not bode well for your future. You deserve to be happier and healthier. I hope to see you on here again.

Back