• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Caution to Everyone

Letrell

I hear alot of pre-op'ers and of late post-op'ers suggesting consumption of the slim fast and drinks like that. In the initial paperwork I received upon release from the hospital it was highlighted to NOT drink slim fast. I can't remember why. But I pulled out the paperwork and reread it to make certain I was not posting erroneously here.

My caution to you is simply to confirm with your surgeon and/or nutritionist before you drink the diet drinks. I've never had a single diet anything since surgery and I have reached 110% of my goal. Please, speak to your nutritionist before using these drinks.

I don't mean to preach, that is not my intent. I truly want success for everyone...healthy success.

Be safe, all.

Letrell

I would like to offer some input on this subject. A very long time ago I heard that diet shakes contain a substance that coats the inside of your stomach and can create a very thick "film" over time. Some people have had to have surgery to scrape off this coating because it was causing digestive issues. It makes sense to me but again this is something I heard a long while back. And I do not remember the source of the information.

I also remember my doctors and nutritionist telling me no slim fast, I thought my nutritionist told me ther was a lot of surgar in it but that was along time ago so maybe I just thought it, never the less there are enough protien drinks out there that I knew I had plenty to choose from. Thanks for the reminder Letrell. :cool: Tom

Rich Chocolate Slimfast Shake nutritional facts. Look at that sugar!
Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Bottle (295 mL)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 190 Fat Cal 50
%DV
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3%
Sodium 210mg 9%
Potassium 600mg 17%
Total Carbohydrate 24g 8%
Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
Sugars 18g
Protein 10g 20%

Oh wow. The sugar alone would knock me off my feet. Alot of sodium as well. Water retention. I sure don't need that. And carbs. That's a lot of carbs for one drink. At least it looks like it. LOL. I'll have to check on that. I just sent my nutritionist an email asking her about it. Will let you know what she says.

Thanks, all, for the input. I just love this group!!!!

Letrell

I received a response from my nutritionist. I'm not posting her name as per her request on public forums....

Too much carb and not enough protein.
I like fat below 5 grams, so 6 is not too bad.
I like total carb below 10 grams
I like protein at least 20 grams per serving.

Looks like it has nothing to do with the sugar. That surprises me, but okay. I'm not the expert. Carbs and protein.
Her speciality is Gastric Bypass nutrition.

I had mentioned using carnation sugar free protein drink as opposed to the more expensive ensure less the sugar.Guess I have to agree my nutritionist has to be rightpatti

I have been eating as much as I can stuff in me. LOL. I should weigh myself but am afraid to do it. I would love to see 135 on there. Clothes are too loose for that. I promise, I am working on it.....

I went to my pre-surgery nutrition class on Monday, 1/30/12. According to the nutritionist it is OK to use Slimfast Lo-Carb. It has 190 calories, 1 gram sugar and 20 grams protein.

It is one of many products included in the St. John Providence Weight Loss Center of Excellence published Patient Education Packet.

Last edited:
my surgery is this tuesday and was told only to have sugar free drinks and of course water sugar free carnation instant breakfast is on my paperwork to have after surgery i have not heard about slimfast ...though i did use that to lose my preop weight

HMBOUCHER64-Welcome to the forum and the best of luck on your fast approaching surgery. I'm sure you will do great. My surgery is scheduled for 2/27. In regards to the Lo-Carb Slim Fast, I was not advising anyone to use or not to use this product. It's best to follow your surgeon's and / or dietition's direction. However, the information I received for pre and post surgical protein drinks included 17 different brands of liquid and powdered supplements. Included in these choices are the Carnation Sugar Free Instant Breakfast and the Lo-Carb Slim Fast.

I found a product at walmarts called EAS that has 17 dm of prtein,80 cal,3 carbs and no sugar. comes in 11 0z servings. You probable are going to use it in smaller portions for a while. congrtulations on the weight you have lost and welome to the site.patti

thanks Patti but EAS makes me nauseous, a friend gave me a tub of pure protein. I have heard of unflavored protein but have never seen it do you know where to get it?

thanks Patti but EAS makes me nauseous, a friend gave me a tub of pure protein. I have heard of unflavored protein but have never seen it do you know where to get it?

I go through a company called Bariatric Choice they have all kinds of products, I believe I have seen the pure liquid protien.

I am drinking designer whey, which I was told that the whey is aborbed more. It tastes good and has 19grms of protein.

Back