• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Caution to Everyone

I drink Arbonne protein shakes. Each Arbonne shake contains 20 grams of protein from vegan botanical sources, including cranberry, golden pea and rice bran proteins. I'm a vegan by the way. They're very tasty.

Can I ask which protien shakes you guys are using that you have found successful? I am 2 1/2 weeks post gastric bypass and i've found the EAS Myoplex lite very tasty and they have 20 g protien. Please let me know what you have found for the long run that will help me be successful!

Thanks, Jules

Jules-Maybe I'm wrong but when I last read the label on EAS Myoplex Lite I thought it was pretty hign in carbs and sugar. I use EAS Carb AdvantEdge, Premier (Costco and Sam's Club) and Unjury which is available at Unjury.com. All of these were pre-approved by the bariatric group that did my surgery. There were 6 or 7 more brands they approved but I only tried Muscle Milk Lite and the shakes from GNC, I found both of these to taste very bitter and returned both of them.

My nutritionist suggest the Carb Wise Slim fast. It has less sugar and the Adkins Advantage, less carbs and sugar.

The nutritionist at my center said things like ensure, boost, and slim fast were just unacceptable because of the sugars, carbs and fat content. She said any protein shake that was made with whey protein was desirable and at least 20 Grams per serving of protein. She said try any brand as long as it meets that requirement. Also to try and keep carbs to 16 Grams per serving or per meal. I use Unjury as does Pat but have also used the EAS. She said if any of us were vegans she would make some different recommendations (none of us in that class were vegans though). Later on I talked with a friend who had RNY and she drinks the EAS that has like 43 Grams of protein. When I asked about that I was told that your body could only absorb or use about 20 Grams of protein at one time and that is why they want only 20 Grams at one time or per meal. I now get most of my protein from my food and drink at least one shake a day (either mid afternoon if I am home or for a bedtime snack). Sometimes when my band is tight in the mornings I will mix a smoothie and sip on that to get me going. 6-8 ounces of skim milk, one scoop of vanilla unjury, and I throw in some fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or one half a banana. Let it sit for a bit to get the air bubbles out. Unjury protein mixed with different flavors of crystal light are really good. I like orange sunrise and the fruit punch the best.

I am highly lactose intolerant and mix Unjury with water instead of milk. The label on Unjury states it has zero lactose even though it is made with whey protein. Unjury mixed with water does not cause me the distress that other brands of protein shakes does even when I take a lactase supplement to ward off the lactose intolerance. Tonight I plan on trying the Unjury vanilla with some orange Hawaiin Punch brand drink mix to make an orangesicle smoothie :) :) :) I seem to have a sweet tooth today and that should take care of things.

Last edited:
I am drinking EAS high protein that the barriatric dietician suggested to drink..I am starving to death and dont see much weight loss. I have already lost 30 however in past 3 months.

I gave away many protein powders as they were all too sweet. I use unjury as well. I use unflavored and mix with 4 oz skim milk. That gives me 25 grams of protein. Two shakes a day and a protein meal gives me my protein for the day. You can mix it with yogart, soup etc. It has been the best one I have found and really works for me. I was told no slim fast, boost, ensure etc due to the high sugar and fat content. Good luck with your surgery. I also had gastric sleeve and am almost 10 weeks post op. The beginning can be overwhelming, but as time goes on it gets much better, like most things in life.

After you've lost enough weight to need smaller clothes, how do you copy with quickly reducing clothes sizes? It sounds like it could be expensive.

Barbara,

There are several ways to cope with reducing clothing sizes. One way is to hit the sales where things are reduced up to 80%. When I find a sale like that I might buy one size smaller than I need. Another thing I have done is hit the Goodwill Stores where I find tops and bottoms for about 4 bucks each. Also they are often name brand. I always make sure I have at least one nice outfit for Church or Funerals etc and I might spend a bit more on that. I am waiting for the clothing exchange at my Bariatric Center. That is totally free and you might or might not find something to exchange. Also if you have friends or relatives who have gone through WLS sometimes you luck out and can wear their clothes and they are often willing to hand them down to you. A little ingenuity goes a long way in keeping a small wardrobe. I also wear my old things around the house or yard as long as I possibly can. Joy

Another option is to sew the side seams in tops and put long vertical darts in the waist and hip areas of the bottoms. I've had good success doing this to make my clothes 3 sizes smaller :) :) :)

Thanks so much for the information. I'd thought of Goodwill but not the other ideas. I'll definitely put your ideas to good use. I'd thought of wearing what I've got now around the house for as long as I can. Then I've also got a couple of sizes of some pieces of clothing in the next two sizes smaller. I might have to purchase a couple of tops to go with them. But, all in all, I figured I'd probably keep 2-3 outfits for everyday and plan on washing a load of clothes every day plus "maybe" one outfit if I can find it cheap for a special occasion. I'd also thought of having clothes altered to a smaller size.

One question I have that no one's told me so far is "how much weight on average do you lose in a week and for how long before it slows down"? Do you have an answer?

Barb

Barb-I just read something about average weight loss. It was pretty general because we all lose at different rates and stated that there is usually a great deal of weight lost during the first 3 to 4 months then slows down to 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week after that. They also said to expect plateaus that could last 3 or 4 weeks at a time.

Thanks for the information. One of my goals is to be able to fit into my wedding dress, again, once I've lost all my weight. It may be unrealistic but would be nice.

Back