• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Choosing between sleeve or gastric

Hello there. I jam new here, my name is Maria. I am also having difficulty choosing type of surgery. I was set on having sleeve and just like person before me wrote surgeon is also suggesting I have gastric bypass. I am 5”1 weigh 184lbs my goal wt is down to 110lbs. Other than sleep apnea, hiatal hernia, reflux, and very newly diagnosed idiopathic gastroparesis I have no other risk factors not diabetic nor do I have high blood pressure. With that being said I was leaning more towards the gastric sleeve, I know ultimately it is my decision but would love some input please and thank you!!! I am nervous about have gastric bypass.

Hello there. I jam new here, my name is Maria. I am also having difficulty choosing type of surgery. I was set on having sleeve and just like person before me wrote surgeon is also suggesting I have gastric bypass. I am 5”1 weigh 184lbs my goal wt is down to 110lbs. Other than sleep apnea, hiatal hernia, reflux, and very newly diagnosed idiopathic gastroparesis I have no other risk factors not diabetic nor do I have high blood pressure. With that being said I was leaning more towards the gastric sleeve, I know ultimately it is my decision but would love some input please and thank you!!! I am nervous about have gastric bypass.
Hi Maria and welcome.

It sounds like you'd prefer the sleeve and you should definitely go with your gut. My one concern for you would be that if you already have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) the sleeve may aggravate this condition: Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and gastroesophageal reflux.

Can I ask what your concerns are with Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RNY)? Many of us here have had this surgery (including myself) so we may be able to ease some of these.

This is a decision best made with your doctor(s), weighing the pros and cons of each surgery type and your specific potential side effects. I wish you the best of luck! Please let us know how we can help you further and keep us posted. :)

I had gastric bypass for hiatal hernia, GERD and gastroparesis 7 months ago. I had a few complications after surgery, but I’m almost back to normal and no more issues with any of the above. And as a side effect, I look better than I have in 25 years (apart from the hair loss)! I have heard that the sleeve is not good for people who suffer with GERD.
Good luck!

I had gastric bypass for hiatal hernia, GERD and gastroparesis 7 months ago. I had a few complications after surgery, but I’m almost back to normal and no more issues with any of the above. And as a side effect, I look better than I have in 25 years (apart from the hair loss)! I have heard that the sleeve is not good for people who suffer with GERD.
Good luck!
Hey Julie!!! I'm glad to hear you're feeling good. :) Your case is so interesting since the primary goal of your surgery wasn't weight loss. I'm so glad that it helped with all the conditions that it was supposed to.

Hey Julie!!! I'm glad to hear you're feeling good. :) Your case is so interesting since the primary goal of your surgery wasn't weight loss. I'm so glad that it helped with all the conditions that it was supposed to.
Thanks Brenda, my only real issues now are hair loss, which does appear to be slowing down, and exhaustion still, even after 7 months. I sometimes have to sleep through my lunch hour! I also have good days and bad days with food, but hoping it all resolves itself soon. I’m certainly enjoying being skinny :)

I first decided to have the gastric sleeve and I had GERD and a hernia, now I am post op 4 days changing to the Gastric bypass because I kept having Hernia surgery over and over again and I couldn’t eat hardly anything that was good for me because of it, so my doctor chose the surgery for me. He said he wouldn’t be able to repair anymore of my hernias that I had to switch. I decided to listen to him and change over because my gerd was horrible and so were the hernias. I wish I had done this in the beginning because it would have saved me a lot of time and money from running back and forth for getting repairs from the hernias.
I hope I helped you some. I’m not trying to sway your decision in any way. This was just my case and everyone is different. I would definitely talk to your doctor and see if this is why he is pushing for the bypass.

Back