• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Clothes

Kayleigh

I have three closets filled with clothes ranging in sizes. I’ve lost 63 pounds since my surgery in July and can’t wear a lot of my clothes. I would like to lose another 45 pounds so I’ll likely have to invest in a new clothes. It’s been fun fitting into things that I haven’t been able to wear in years.

I’ve gone up and down in sizes for many years while struggling with my weight so I wouldn’t part with any of my clothes. Even after have bypass surgery I find myself still struggling with the thought that I may need the bigger sizes one day.

This surgery has to work for me and I can’t allow myself to go back to my old eating habits. My weight loss has slowed down to about 1 pound per week loss and I’m starting to worry about not being able to reach my long term weight goal. I’m trying not to get discouraged, but can’t help feeling this way.

Congratulations on your success! Maybe getting rid of most, if not all, of the clothes that don’t fit anymore, will solidify your mindset of not being able to fit in them again. How long has it been since your surgery? Mines only been over a month and I already chucked a couple pairs of jeans in the trash (they had holes in bad places so I tossed them instead of donated them). But, I love a good clean out-I hate holding onto things that don’t serve a purpose for me anymore.

I second that 3momchaos. I have always had a huge inventory of clothes. I have worked my way through most of them. I too have the mindset to hold on to them. That being said I have donated them. Styles change. My body type has changed. Holding on to them fed into my worry that someday I would go back there. I don’t want to.

In terms of worry about weight-loss slowing down don’t get discouraged. Stay the course and revel in what you’ve accomplished. In the grand scheme of things these are early days. Your body is probably adjusting. Hang in there, you’ve got this!!

I have three closets filled with clothes ranging in sizes. I’ve lost 63 pounds since my surgery in July and can’t wear a lot of my clothes. I would like to lose another 45 pounds so I’ll likely have to invest in a new clothes. It’s been fun fitting into things that I haven’t been able to wear in years.

Even after have bypass surgery I find myself still struggling with the thought that I may need the bigger sizes one day.
Kayleigh, I still have clothes from high school (1969 graduate) and I'd rather be buried with them than give them away! And I bought a lot of them at thrift stores to begin with. Remember the Sixties and the fashion trailblazers like Vidal Sassoon and Mary Quant, Twiggy, the Warhol factory?

I was extremely withdrawn and creative, and I let my clothes speak for me. At one time I wanted to be a fashion designer. I literally rocked the Annie Hall look before Woody Allen invented her.

I'm 5'3" and weighed about 110. But clothes can be forgiving, so I can still layer some items onto others.

I have so much junk I make space for. So I don't feel bad at all for hanging on to my hand-painted neckties and black and white saddle shoes. They're works of art, after all.

Congratulations on your success! Maybe getting rid of most, if not all, of the clothes that don’t fit anymore, will solidify your mindset of not being able to fit in them again. How long has it been since your surgery? Mines only been over a month and I already chucked a couple pairs of jeans in the trash (they had holes in bad places so I tossed them instead of donated them). But, I love a good clean out-I hate holding onto things that don’t serve a purpose for me anymore.
That’s a great idea. I have to keep moving forward with my weight loss journey.

Kayleigh, I still have clothes from high school (1969 graduate) and I'd rather be buried with them than give them away! And I bought a lot of them at thrift stores to begin with. Remember the Sixties and the fashion trailblazers like Vidal Sassoon and Mary Quant, Twiggy, the Warhol factory?

I was extremely withdrawn and creative, and I let my clothes speak for me. At one time I wanted to be a fashion designer. I literally rocked the Annie Hall look before Woody Allen invented her.

View attachment 3358

I'm 5'3" and weighed about 110. But clothes can be forgiving, so I can still layer some items onto others.

I have so much junk I make space for. So I don't feel bad at all for hanging on to my hand-painted neckties and black and white saddle shoes. They're works of art, after all.
Diane, Many of the styles from years ago are back in style. That’s great that you are able to fit into the clothes. I love the trendy looks from the 60’s. In fact I just bought a pair of 60’s era looking boots. I need to lose several more pounds for cute skirts to go with them, but they look great with leggings.

Back