• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coffee

Cathy M

Why is coffee so bad for you they told me to stop drinking it when I first started , what hot tea would be okay to

Caffeine is bad because it makes you dehydrated. I love my hot tea but my doctor discussed this in detail because I didn't want to give it up before surgery. Also a lot of herbal teas affect your body. So no herbal tea until after surgery. If your too dehydrated then you can get dizzy and pass out while your loosing weight quickly. The decaf variety of coffee still has some caffeine in it. Also many coffees have added calories from milk and sugar and flavors added to it. Decaf black tea still has small amounts of caffeine but it's small enough my doctor said it was ok. I was still dehydrated before surgery even though I completely gave up teas. They had a hard time getting a vein. I almost had to postpone surgery.

Caffeine is bad because it makes you dehydrated. I love my hot tea but my doctor discussed this in detail because I didn't want to give it up before surgery. Also a lot of herbal teas affect your body. So no herbal tea until after surgery. If your too dehydrated then you can get dizzy and pass out while your loosing weight quickly. The decaf variety of coffee still has some caffeine in it. Also many coffees have added calories from milk and sugar and flavors added to it. Decaf black tea still has small amounts of caffeine but it's small enough my doctor said it was ok. I was still dehydrated before surgery even though I completely gave up teas. They had a hard time getting a vein. I almost had to postpone surgery.

Anna, you have given us some excellent insight into the world of caffeine..A world that I LOVE. I thought if I simply switched to De-Caf I could still enjoy the aroma/taste that gets me going in the morning. How horrible for you to reach the point of being prepped for surgery....them poking for a vein...and then the possiblity of needing to go back home and reschedule. Yikes..I can not even imagine what was going through your mind on the day of surgery.

Last edited:
Back