• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Coffee?

That’s an interesting article Judy. I’m a coffee addict and had a hard time going cold turkey after surgery. I add a little 1%milk and no sugar. I have been drinking two cups a day without any issues (knock on wood!). There have been many studies that have shown that coffee may prevent dementia.

I love my coffee too Kayleigh. For a while I had limited it to 1 cup a day but now I am often going for a second cup. But I've been adding in tea as well. I think it is the cold winter that is making me crave warm drinks.

Coffee has some potentially nice health benefits, but can be negated with calorie laden add-ins. I use some nut based creamer and stevia in my coffee and generally have two large cups a day. Even fat-free lattes can range from 100 to 200 calories at Starbucks and such. Any liquid calories can be really sneaky, unintentional ways that add up calories. Obviously, if you drink it black, it's not going to cause any weight gain and apparently has some positive effects on the microbiome.

Love, love, love my coffee. But you do have to be careful with those add-ins. I don't love it black so I just use my high protein milk. But even then, it does add calories that maybe I should be putting to better use elsewhere. But for now, I factor them in.

I used to drink Starbucks Frappuccino and looked up the calories. I was drinking a sugary coffee with 510 calories!
My favorite was DD large iced pumpkin spice with cream. 340 calories. Even a regular large iced with cream is 130. That's assuming they use the 4 cream that they say it has. But when I used 4 cream, I never got that pale of a color, so I believe there was even more. That's why I just make it at home now. I know 100% for sure what is in it.

The first bariatric program I looked at but decided against was anti caffeine all the way before and post for life was the strong suggestion. My current guidelines discuss cutting back before and post due to hydration issues. But give a thumbs up after a short period of time post surgery.

I drink my coffee black with food because it can upset my stomach. My caffeine intake is 4 to 500 mg daily before 9 AM. The question I have for those of you who consume caffeine post-surgery does it impact you more (I would assume so)? Somedays I experience minor shakes from caffeine?

I don't have any problems with caffeine post surgery or ever. But because I am more conscience of limiting caffeine, I do keep an eye on my intake. I have a k-cup machine so it is easy to mix things up a bit. If I am really sleeping in the morning I have regular coffee, if not I go with "half-caf". Then I also keep decaf on hand for when I want want an extra cup. I don't notice any difference in taste with the k-cups. and if I drink tea I pretty much do the same thing. Switch between caffeinated and herbal.

As others said, coffee no, all the additives yes. I can no longer drink the coffee I used to due to acid issues. However I have 8 oz cold brew mixed with 5 oz carmel protein shake every morning. I throw in an extra half scoop unflavored protein to boost it to 26gp and that is my daily breakfast.

I only have coffee from home with nonfat creamer. I have never had any issues with it but my husband seems to think it’s my main issue cause I have about 4 every morning. I just don’t know. I start work at 6am and my brain is in a fog until I have at least one lol. Maybe cutting back to 1-2 instead of 4 hahaha

I only have coffee from home with nonfat creamer. I have never had any issues with it but my husband seems to think it’s my main issue cause I have about 4 every morning. I just don’t know. I start work at 6am and my brain is in a fog until I have at least one lol. Maybe cutting back to 1-2 instead of 4 hahaha

Non fat creamer still has a ton of sugar in it and depending on how much you use it adds up fast.

A cup of coffee can have anywhere from 2 to 10 calories without adding any sugar or milk. But most of the time it's negligible and doesn't even deserve to be included in your daily calorie count.
I should have said that the calories in coffee come from the oils that the beans give off which are in fact, fat. You may have a higher calorie coffee content if you use a darker Bean. Light roast ground coffee might have zero calories.

This isn't a question that I would know except for the fact that I had a discussion with my dad decades ago about the coffee he drank which caused me to look at what I was drinking. I was using instant Sanka and I found it had seven calories per cup!

Back