• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

COFFEE

Kcuster83

My plan does not allow caffeine starting at pre-op diet, which I am currently on. My question is, decaf coffee actually has a very small amount of caffeine so is that acceptable or not? I emailed my team and waiting for an answer but was curious as to if other plans had the same requirement and did you drink decaf.
I am not a big coffee drinker, but I have to drink 4 shakes a day. 2 made with milk/non lactose products and 2 made with caffeine,calorie and carbonation free liquids. I was doing lemonade and strawberry protein but it is getting old FAST. I don't like any flavors made with water, taste to much like chemicals.
I do like lattes and such so I tried coffee and vanilla protein and it was pretty good, could use for my breakfast shake once in a while to switch it up.

I am doing great on the pre-op diet as far as hunger and sticking to it but I have 9 days left and I am getting VERY tired of the same shakes every day so trying to find new "mixers" for the powder.

The need to stop caffeine probably relates to the very real possibility of becoming dehydrated and having to be hospitalized post-surgery due to its diuretic effect. Eventually after you have been able to get 64-80 ozs of water daily (at least a few months after surgery), you might be able to drink caffeine again. Glad your pre-surgery experience has been going well so far.

Are you ready to chew your arm off yet? Do you feel weak or is your energy level normal?
Nope- seriously this is super easy for me. Not trying to brag or what not but I have had more issues getting everything in that I am supposed to than wanting to eat too much. Grant it, I am allowed fresh veggies so I am able to chew. Saturday was the only day where I said "this sucks, I want food". So, I made myself a salad with lots of different veggies so I could get lots of flavor, (No dressing) and I was fine after that. I am pretty tired at the end of the day but I am getting thru the day fine. I lost 12 lbs in the first 7 days!

The need to stop caffeine probably relates to the very real possibility of becoming dehydrated and having to be hospitalized post-surgery due to its diuretic effect. Eventually after you have been able to get 64-80 ozs of water daily (at least a few months after surgery), you might be able to drink caffeine again. Glad your pre-surgery experience has been going well so far.
I am not a big caffeine person anyway, so it doesn't bother me. My want for the coffee was to change the taste of the shakes, I am getting sooo tired of them already so I am trying to find different liquids to mix the powder with just to switch it up.

My plan does not allow caffeine starting at pre-op diet, which I am currently on. My question is, decaf coffee actually has a very small amount of caffeine so is that acceptable or not? I emailed my team and waiting for an answer but was curious as to if other plans had the same requirement and did you drink decaf.
I am not a big coffee drinker, but I have to drink 4 shakes a day. 2 made with milk/non lactose products and 2 made with caffeine,calorie and carbonation free liquids. I was doing lemonade and strawberry protein but it is getting old FAST. I don't like any flavors made with water, taste to much like chemicals.
I do like lattes and such so I tried coffee and vanilla protein and it was pretty good, could use for my breakfast shake once in a while to switch it up.

I am doing great on the pre-op diet as far as hunger and sticking to it but I have 9 days left and I am getting VERY tired of the same shakes every day so trying to find new "mixers" for the powder.
Kcuster83 wishing you an easy and healing journey. I am set to start 4/10 and surgery 4/20. I took your advice on Crystal Light lol for shakes.

Kcuster83 wishing you an easy and healing journey. I am set to start 4/10 and surgery 4/20. I took your advice on Crystal Light lol for shakes.
Thank you so much, I am 8 days in and my surgery is Monday the 21st. I am super busy at work to try to get them as far ahead as possible while I am out so it is making my days go by pretty quick. It still seems like it is taking forever to actually get to the 21st though! haha. I am just ready.
Good luck to you throughout your process.

FYI, I've had one cup of coffee every day for 50 years. What's bad for one person is completely harmless for another. Read the cautionary list, then try a teeny taste to see if it's okay for you. We do not share identical experiences across the board. I also drink beverages besides coffee that contain caffeine. Know yourself.

I am not allowed caffeinated drinks I have started to ween my self off coffee and so far I am on day 4 and only one caffeine withdrawal headache !
I am getting ready for what is to come with the pre-op diet.

My nutritionist was totally against coffee. It was our monthly argument. I was NOT giving it up until the last possible second! But then I decided I didn't want to have caffeine withdrawal along with whatever misery a liquid only diet was going to bring. So, I quit drinking coffee a month pre-op. So, I think you've made a good choice. Who wants headaches AND food withdrawal?!?

The reasoning for no coffee is twofold. 1 is that it is a diuretic. More water going out than in can cause dehydration. 2 is that coffee is acidic and can cause ulcers in your new, smaller pouch.

I started drinking coffee again month 3 post op. Once I was able to drink MORE than 64 oz of water, I figured that a cup (or 2) would not hurt me. I was correct. It does not bother my stomach and I have had no issues, with a morning hot latte and an afternoon iced latte. But I use a few ounces of high protein milk or protein shake as well. I am not sure how it would affect me if I just drank the espresso. But then calories come into consideration, which is fine. I plan for one as a part of breakfast and the other as an afternoon snack.

If you go to a coffeeshop, I suggest putting in your own cream or milk.

My nutritionist was totally against coffee. It was our monthly argument. I was NOT giving it up until the last possible second! But then I decided I didn't want to have caffeine withdrawal along with whatever misery a liquid only diet was going to bring. So, I quit drinking coffee a month pre-op. So, I think you've made a good choice. Who wants headaches AND food withdrawal?!?

The reasoning for no coffee is twofold. 1 is that it is a diuretic. More water going out than in can cause dehydration. 2 is that coffee is acidic and can cause ulcers in your new, smaller pouch.

I started drinking coffee again month 3 post op. Once I was able to drink MORE than 64 oz of water, I figured that a cup (or 2) would not hurt me. I was correct. It does not bother my stomach and I have had no issues, with a morning hot latte and an afternoon iced latte. But I use a few ounces of high protein milk or protein shake as well. I am not sure how it would affect me if I just drank the espresso. But then calories come into consideration, which is fine. I plan for one as a part of breakfast and the other as an afternoon snack.

If you go to a coffeeshop, I suggest putting in your own cream or milk.

I don't have a surgery date yet but I am going thru a kidney stone issue and I just stopped cold turkey so since Thursday I haven't had any and I figured why not just keep going until post-op and I can tolerate a little bit. And yes I agree I didn't want to deal with the coffee withdrawals and the food withdrawals also. I with you regarding putting your touches to whatever it is that you get at your local coffee spot. I usually put in almond milk and a little bit of monk fruit

Back