• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Comorbity of ADHD and eating disorders

Wow! I didn’t know that. I was diagnosed a few years ago with ADHD, inattentive type. I think I understand a lot better my poor impulse control regarding high calorie foods.
Thank you!

I have gone down the rabbit whole since learning more and more how it is comorbid. Being in NY ADHD meds has allowed me to feel in control and be significantly less fearful of eating as the fear of the ADHD binge isn't in power anymore.

I have recently allowed myself to take medication for my ADHD. Right now, I am taking Ritalin and it’s incredible how much easier it is to want to exercise. I feel less cravings now, too. I finally understand why obesity is such a difficult disease to treat and why it is so easy to gain back the weight: there really are way too many factors.

Thanks for this information. Very interesting! I am not diagnosed ADHD but sometimes wonder if I do have it. Obesity is very difficult to treat! Even now, I find myself not very hungry most days, but will experience fleeting thoughts of food in my mind. It conjures up all sorts of emotions I need to manage.

This is good info. I hope future generations have health professionals that treat obesity as the symptom it can be instead of the cause of all health issues.
I agree. Obese people tend to be disregarded by the healthcare system, which attributes every single thing to being overweight. We also tend to be frowned upon as less disciplined, lazy and less reliable. There is also a common misconception about how we exaggerate our pain. Finding medical professionals who are free of prejudices can be challenging. It is also the case with mental health professionals. The more I research, the more complicated obesity turns out to be. These kind of sites allow us to share knowledge about a condition that is very misunderstood. Learning about it can also help us understand our body better and relieve the shame we often feel.

I agree. Obese people tend to be disregarded by the healthcare system, which attributes every single thing to being overweight. We also tend to be frowned upon as less disciplined, lazy and less reliable. There is also a common misconception about how we exaggerate our pain. Finding medical professionals who are free of prejudices can be challenging. It is also the case with mental health professionals. The more I research, the more complicated obesity turns out to be. These kind of sites allow us to share knowledge about a condition that is very misunderstood. Learning about it can also help us understand our body better and relieve the shame we often feel.
Well-said Alice!

Back