• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Concern about anti seizure medication post op

swt_h

Hi all - haven't seen this question so I hope someone has some information. I have had epilepsy for over 40 year. Pretty well controlled by Depakote. Unfortunately that led to weight gain. However, I am having the sleeve and am wondering about post op meds absorption. It's important that I keep a certain amount in my system to prevent seizures. I'd appreciate any information/advice/experience anyone might have. Thanks so much!!

Since the surgery is based upon malabsorption, this is a very great concern. I also take medications daily that must be completely absorbed in order to work for me.

As I understand it, absorption happens in the upper portion of the intestines. It has to go through your stomach, and you may not even have enough stomach acid to break it down there. But then it goes into your duodenum and into your intestines from there. I have not noticed any problems with absorption of my medications and dietary supplements

What helps with absorption is to take tablets instead of capsules. Sometimes I will put my capsules in my mouth and park them in my cheeks until the outside gel starts to break down. Then I swallow the capsules with a lot of water.

You can also have problems if you take medications with enteric coatings. I also use a lot of water when I take a medication like that

You should definitely ask your doctor for a metabolic panel in order to see if you are taking in the right amount of medication after your surgery. Your meds can be adjusted so that you don't have any problems.

If you are getting the sleeve, malabsorption isn't nearly the concern as it might of been with the bypass (and the malabsorption is often overblown there too). Your normal digestive route is still in place with the sleeve as opposed to bypassing the stomach and some of the small intestine with a bypass. That being said, it's definitely something I would ask several physicians about. I'd look for second and third opinions and perhaps see if there are any research papers on the subject.

Swt, it's important to remember that, even though individual experiences vary, your experience must ONLY be measured by your physical responses. Researching and investigating cannot be the final answer, and your only medical inquiry should be made by a doctor who's laid hands on you. In our group, we can share similarities, but we can't give medical advice or guidance. Your Rx meds are essential to your life, so we're here to relate to your dilemma, but your next step is to consult your doc, not some study or unknown physician. WLS is based on malabsorption and it's critical not to underestimate how that could effect the dosage you take. Your question is important for all of us to hear, but please take it to the doctor who prescribes it for you AND your bariatric team.

I'm reminded just by looking here for support and reading (and having been recruited into a University of Washington medical study myself), that if I was so smart and educated, I never would have been 100+ pounds overweight to begin with.

You're right to be exactly as concerned as you are. Next stop, your doctor's office.

Swt, it's important to remember that, even though individual experiences vary, your experience must ONLY be measured by your physical responses. Researching and investigating cannot be the final answer, and your only medical inquiry should be made by a doctor who's laid hands on you. In our group, we can share similarities, but we can't give medical advice or guidance. Your Rx meds are essential to your life, so we're here to relate to your dilemma, but your next step is to consult your doc, not some study or unknown physician. WLS is based on malabsorption and it's critical not to underestimate how that could effect the dosage you take. Your question is important for all of us to hear, but please take it to the doctor who prescribes it for you AND your bariatric team.

I'm reminded just by looking here for support and reading (and having been recruited into a University of Washington medical study myself), that if I was so smart and educated, I never would have been 100+ pounds overweight to begin with.

You're right to be exactly as concerned as you are. Next stop, your doctor's office.

Thanks for the response. I have asked multiple doctors as well as bariatric surgeons and they say as long as I get the immediate release meds that I should be fine. I'm just really nervous.

Back