• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Concerned

KurlyGurl7

I'm post surgery gastric sleeve by 8 months and starting Super Bowl Weekend began having diarrhea 2-3 times a day - at first I thought it was a stomach bug but 3 weeks later? Is this my new norm???

I'm post surgery gastric sleeve by 8 months and starting Super Bowl Weekend began having diarrhea 2-3 times a day - at first I thought it was a stomach bug but 3 weeks later? Is this my new norm???
I had the same thing and discovered, from my nurse, that it was milk. The surgeries can make you lactose intolerant or unable to digest milk fat, as is my case. I have to have skim milk and fat free cheese. Hope you figure out the problem.

Went to a GI doc and he thinks it's a combo of my G-sleeve followed a couple of months later by gall bladder surgery. He's tweaking my GERD med and added another and I'm a bit better but still not there yet - colonoscopy here I come!

Went to a GI doc and he thinks it's a combo of my G-sleeve followed a couple of months later by gall bladder surgery. He's tweaking my GERD med and added another and I'm a bit better but still not there yet - colonoscopy here I come!
Kurlygurl...You mention gallbladder surgery. I have read that a large percentage of surgery patients need to have gall bladder surgery a few months post op. Although I have no issues related to my gall bladder now..my surgeon is requiring a test prior to scheduling surgery. My question, to you is do you feel your gallbladder issue was a result of the sleeve? And to others that may read this....has anyone else had gall bladder issues post surgery? Tx....

Kurlygurl...You mention gallbladder surgery. I have read that a large percentage of surgery patients need to have gall bladder surgery a few months post op. Although I have no issues related to my gall bladder now..my surgeon is requiring a test prior to scheduling surgery. My question, to you is do you feel your gallbladder issue was a result of the sleeve? And to others that may read this....has anyone else had gall bladder issues post surgery? Tx....
It turns out that 1 in 3 need to have their gall bladder out post sleeve/bypass, mostly from the huge change in diet. According to my surgeon, they used to take out the gall bladder when they did the sleeve but insurance companies ixnayed that practice as a not necessary surgery. Good for your surgeon to have you do the test before hand.

During my pre-op workup it was noted on sonogram that I had large gall stones. So when my sleeve was done last week, the surgeon also removed my gall bladder and did a hernia repair. She said the gall bladder definitely needed to come out, the stones were too big to ever pass. That being said I know plenty of people who had their gall bladders removed later... it is not uncommon after a large weight loss

Omgoodness yes that gall bladder surgery will do it to ya!!

Back