• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Considering Bariatric Surgery

nicnaq824

I am 44 years old, 5'6 inches tall and weigh 290 lbs. I always thought I could get back into shape on my own but I have not been successful. I am wondering what everyone's experience has been good or bad. I am trying to decide if I should nice forward or not. I don't think this is an easy fix but a catalyst for a lifestyle change. I am looking for honest feedback.

I am 44 years old, 5'6 inches tall and weigh 290 lbs. I always thought I could get back into shape on my own but I have not been successful. I am wondering what everyone's experience has been good or bad. I am trying to decide if I should nice forward or not. I don't think this is an easy fix but a catalyst for a lifestyle change. I am looking for honest feedback.
Hi. For me it's a must. I absolutely have to do this. The surgeon thinks that the sleeve is my best option due to a factor or two. But he may not approve me at all. It's a hard road to walk with a sense of peace. Always wondering if this test or that will be the deciding factor. But it's a lifestyle change Im all for committing to. Most on this site have done really well. Im inspired by them.

I had a sleeve on May 19. Best decision ever! It was tough but very worth it. Im down 40 lbs total and about 30 away from my goal weight of 130. I was very lucky that my Dr office was able to get insurance to pay. Go in for a consult at least.

I struggled with my weight my entire adult life. Tried every diet out there and failed. Unfortunately I have to take meds that cause weight gain, so the scale kept inching up. On 12/6/16 I had gastric bypass. Best decision I've made. Because of my meds, my weight loss has been a little slow, but I've lost 106.4#. I still have 86 to go. It isn't easy, but if you stick to it, you can be successful.

Go for it, it is well worth it

Ultimately, it's an individual/personal decision, but I can assure you that if you are ready for change, and I mean an EATING LIFESTYLE CHANGE, that entails a commitment to incorporating exercise as well for the REST OF YOUR LIFE, then I suggest you go for it! Especially if you've attempted to lose weight in the past only to pack on more than your prior highest weight number and size. If you are SICK AND TIRED of being immobile, or perhaps, tired all of the time, have encountered many health issues as a result of this condition, then I would say go for it! I personally was TERRIFIED to delve into having surgery, but speaking from being out 6 years and still have maintained my ideal body weight, it's been the BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE, and I don't regret it at all! I've changed my life completely from being able to walk again without a cane, and not having to use a C-PAP machine, or take any cholesterol meds, or losing the rash under my breast and arms....I would say life is good on the "lighter" side indeed! I hope this helps you and I wish you all the best in the future, whatever you choose to do! Linney

Back