• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Considering Gastric Sleeve-Lots of Questions!

Neecey

I’m in the early stages of seriously considering gastric sleeve surgery. I thought I was too old for bariatric surgery until I started looking into it. I’m 68 years old and other than osteoarthritis exacerbated by the weight I’m relatively healthy, tho have mild hypertension (also exacerbated by weight).

I’ve had a weight problem my entire life. I’ve lost 50-120# at lease 4 times —mostly on WW—and gained it all back each time. I’m currently a over 300#, having gained some 30# in 2020 due to the pandemic. I want to live long enough to see grandchildren and my goal is to be halfway normal by age 70.

I’ve been looking for some answers to a couple of questions and would appreciate any help any of you could offer.

1) Experiences of anybody my age would be most welcomed.

2) After the surgeon removes 80% of the stomach, is there a subsequent decrease in your appetite? I can’t imagine feeling starved on 3-4 ounces of food/meal for the rest of my life.

3) How did you “sell” this to your family? I am my husband’s food partner. He loves to eat out and he eats a lot. He likes to eat with me. I know he’s going to disapprove, as is my son who is an athlete and very much into nutrition.

4) (stupid question) Once you heal, are you ever able to eat things like Mexican food or an occasional treat again? (I’m aware of the nutritional needs.)

I’d appreciate any and all responses. Thanks so much.

Welcome! My husband and I LOVE to eat, we bond over food, going out to eat used to be our thing, we’ve taught our kids about different cooking styles so much so that they love cooking now. I still enjoy cooking and eating, but it’s different now, and my husband is good with that. I know it’s more about the benefits to my health rather than the enjoyment of my pallet, but I still eat delicious foods. I have the occasional treat, and I eat all different types of cuisines. I think your son would be happy about the changes, as this surgery forces focus on nutrition. I didn’t have to sell the surgery to my family. They want what’s best for my long term health, and this surgery was it, so there was no discussion about it otherwise.

Welcome Neecey! I had VSG last summer at the age of 66. There is a Facebook group called Bariatric Surgery Support for the 50-ish Plus Crowd that you might find helpful. There was a recent post on age when they had surgery and many were in their 60s and even some 70s!

I believe you will find a decrease in hunger but that doesn't mean you will never get hungry! One thing you need to ask yourself, are you are "stomach hungry" or is it "head hunger"? Many of the Grehlin hormones that make you hungry will be removed along with 80% of your stomach. Some say they don't get hungry after surgery others say they do (I am one that does). Also as we eat mostly protein, it is protein that keeps us fuller longer.

I had no problem "selling" this to my family so I am afraid I can't help you there. Hopefully they will see that this is the best thing for your overall health.

Yes, I can eat Mexican although maybe toned down a little bit on the spice level than before. And I have occasional treats and try to save these for holidays or special occasions. Otherwise it is too easy for me to go back into old habits. You might even surprise yourself that a lot of the cravings you had before for sweets or empty calorie treats aren't as strong as they use to be.

I hope that helps!

Welcome! My husband and I LOVE to eat, we bond over food, going out to eat used to be our thing, we’ve taught our kids about different cooking styles so much so that they love cooking now. I still enjoy cooking and eating, but it’s different now, and my husband is good with that. I know it’s more about the benefits to my health rather than the enjoyment of my pallet, but I still eat delicious foods. I have the occasional treat, and I eat all different types of cuisines. I think your son would be happy about the changes, as this surgery forces focus on nutrition. I didn’t have to sell the surgery to my family. They want what’s best for my long term health, and this surgery was it, so there was no discussion about it otherwise.

Welcome Neecey! I had VSG last summer at the age of 66. There is a Facebook group called Bariatric Surgery Support for the 50-ish Plus Crowd that you might find helpful. There was a recent post on age when they had surgery and many were in their 60s and even some 70s!

I believe you will find a decrease in hunger but that doesn't mean you will never get hungry! One thing you need to ask yourself, are you are "stomach hungry" or is it "head hunger"? Many of the Grehlin hormones that make you hungry will be removed along with 80% of your stomach. Some say they don't get hungry after surgery others say they do (I am one that does). Also as we eat mostly protein, it is protein that keeps us fuller longer.

I had no problem "selling" this to my family so I am afraid I can't help you there. Hopefully they will see that this is the best thing for your overall health.

Yes, I can eat Mexican although maybe toned down a little bit on the spice level than before. And I have occasional treats and try to save these for holidays or special occasions. Otherwise it is too easy for me to go back into old habits. You might even surprise yourself that a lot of the cravings you had before for sweets or empty calorie treats aren't as strong as they use to be.

I hope that helps!

JudyNY THANK YOU! I’m going to look up that FB page. As for the appetite, I know much of my current appetite is in my head; hence, the weight gain since the pandemic. But I have terrible cravings for sugar and I’d love to lose that! I don’t eat my Mexican very spicy anymore anyway, but I know I’d have to nix the chips and stick with maybe one taco or enchilada. Which is fine.

I SO appreciate all your responses!

JudyNY THANK YOU! I’m going to look up that FB page. As for the appetite, I know much of my current appetite is in my head; hence, the weight gain since the pandemic. But I have terrible cravings for sugar and I’d love to lose that! I don’t eat my Mexican very spicy anymore anyway, but I know I’d have to nix the chips and stick with maybe one taco or enchilada. Which is fine.

I SO appreciate all your responses!

Believe me, one taco is plenty for what your stomach can accommodate! The last time I made taco's, they only had the bigger or should I say wider taco shells. Sometimes my brain is stuck in the old mode and disregarded how much I was putting in that taco. I could not eat the whole thing. Now I have been able to eat ONE taco from Taco Bell (the only fast food I have eaten since surgery) and that being a smaller taco is just the perfect size.

As for chips, yes I agree that you should nix the regular chips but there are also Quest Protein Chips that are pretty good as an occasional treat. I like the loaded taco flavor. 140 calories and 19 grams of protein so it helps you meat your protein level too! Of course that is for when you have progressed off pureed and soft foods are able to eat regular food!

I’m in the early stages of seriously considering gastric sleeve surgery. I thought I was too old for bariatric surgery until I started looking into it. I’m 68 years old and other than osteoarthritis exacerbated by the weight I’m relatively healthy, tho have mild hypertension (also exacerbated by weight).

I’ve had a weight problem my entire life. I’ve lost 50-120# at lease 4 times —mostly on WW—and gained it all back each time. I’m currently a over 300#, having gained some 30# in 2020 due to the pandemic. I want to live long enough to see grandchildren and my goal is to be halfway normal by age 70.

I’ve been looking for some answers to a couple of questions and would appreciate any help any of you could offer.

1) Experiences of anybody my age would be most welcomed.
I'm not your age, but I have have some things to share, probably similar to others. You definitely aren't too old for the surgery!
2) After the surgeon removes 80% of the stomach, is there a subsequent decrease in your appetite? I can’t imagine feeling starved on 3-4 ounces of food/meal for the rest of my life.
The surgery impacts your biology in several ways. Obviously your stomach will be smaller. Over time, the stomach does relax, not necessarily stretch out, but it relaxes and over time you can eat a bit more. As long as you aren't really continuously overeating, your stomach will not stretch out much, if at all, but like I said, you will be able to eat a bit more over time.

Beside a smaller stomach, a significant portion of the stomach that is removed is an area that produces the hormone ghrelin, which is a hunger stimulating hormone. The reduction in ghrelin can create some reduction in overall hunger signals (you'll still get hungry, though, but it will most likely be different).

The surgery also affects how your brain reacts to the hormone leptin. Leptin is stored in fat cells. Prior to surgery, if you try to lose weight, the amount of leptin decreases and that change makes your brain send out signals to make you hungrier and it also slows your metabolism. This leptin reaction is one of the major reasons it is so hard for obese people to lose weight without surgery.

There are some other hunger and satiety hormones in the intestines that are affected as well. The hormonal changes are at their maximum during the first 12-24 months after surgery, so that is a great time to really focus on developing lifelong habits that will help you maintain your weight loss for years to come.

The surgery also seems to have a positive effect on the microbiome giving you the opportunity to feed it well with your new diet and develop great immunity and many other positive effect of having a health microbiome..

3) How did you “sell” this to your family? I am my husband’s food partner. He loves to eat out and he eats a lot. He likes to eat with me. I know he’s going to disapprove, as is my son who is an athlete and very much into nutrition.
You can still go out to eat with your husband, you can still try all kinds of foods, you just won't eat as much. He should be able to accept that. I would hope he'd value your health and how you feel over food, likewise with your son. Most people who think negatively of the surgery just don't understand why it is so often the only way for people to regain their health because they don't know the facts. They think losing weight is just "willpower" when it has nothing to do with that. People with extreme willpower still fail to lose weight and keep it off. There are very strong biological reasons it is difficult to lose weight and why most people put it back on. The surgery actually gives us a chance to bypass some of that. It still takes dedication and willpower, but the benefits of the surgery help you keep it off. The only people in my family who know are my wife and daughter. My parents don't know, my brothers' families don't know. That was my choice, I'm not saying you shouldn't tell your family. Everyone's family situation is different, so there's no one way to approach it, but sometimes you've got to make choices that only benefit you, regardless of what others think. Again, only you know your family dynamics, I'm not trying to say what's right or wrong for you.

4) (stupid question) Once you heal, are you ever able to eat things like Mexican food or an occasional treat again? (I’m aware of the nutritional needs.)
Everyone's experience is a bit different, but I eat Mexican, Thai, Indian, Italian, etc., etc. from mild to super spicy. Some people may not stomach spicy anymore. Some people's tastes change and they eat completely differently. While I eat many of the same cuisines that I did before, I don't slather things with cheese or high fat stuff, and I eat mostly vegetarian, with some occasional meat or eggs here or there. I stay away from sugar, artificial sweeteners, and simple carbs, but I don't miss anything from my old food life, and I still feel very satisfied with the variety of food that I eat. For the most part, you will be able to enjoy food, but obviously, to maintain the weight loss you'll experience, you'll need to change some things about your relationship with food.

Best of luck! This experience can do wonders for your life!

I’d appreciate any and all responses. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
I lost 115 pounds, focused on protein but didnt count calories. When i knew what i wanted, i worked to get there. I wanted to explore the North Cascades. I wanted to go camping in my canoe on a huge lake. I wanted to breathe.

Yes, my physical appetite decreased. There was a lot of vomiting in the beginning, and epic constipation.

If i went out with a group, sometimes they put bites of food on my empty plate. It still took me way longer to finish my meal.

Sugary and fatty things led to dumping, and you only need to dump once to never want to do it again.

My diet made up its own mind. Over time healthy eating took over. eventually, even the thought of a hot fudge sundae sent me retching.

It'll be 14 years on 20 august. Im still thin. I dont miss anything. I drink and eat what i want but cant eat a large amount.

The people i spend meals with either get food off my plate or i get an empty salad plate and everyone shares. Its not unusual for me to be full after four bites.

I thought i would go insane if i couldnt eat the way i used to. But i got happy and happier.

Nowadays whatever i eat, i take tiny bites. I hold it in my mouth and swoon over how delicious it is. I make it last a long, long time before i swallow it.

If i eat a hi-cal item, i take even smaller bites and more time. I worship food, i cook, i bake, so i make sure eating is a sensual experience and immerse myself in it. Before surgery i went to 2nd hand stores and bought precious flatware, bowls and plates no on else is allowed to touch.

So i went from being a heathen who didnt deserve caviar to a meditative gourmet who celebrated fine cuisine and turned dining into a holistic experience. I dont miss pigging out at all.

Back