• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Considering Surgery

Welcome! I had gastric bypass 10/26/2020. I did not have any comorbid conditions, so complications were low for me. That being said, they can always happen no matter how healthy you appear to be. The biggest thing to remember is follow all the doctors directions, and always call your drs office if you have concerns. I think the surgery was completely worth it. I really know that I would not be able to lose weight without this tool.

Welcome Nick! Have you met with a surgeon yet to discuss your concerns? I think one has to look at the whole picture of not only risks of surgery but also risks of not having surgery. It is a big decision, so I understand getting anxious. I'll be honest with you and tell you that I did have complications following surgery and while I was recuperating I did have remorse. But once I was back on my feet, losing weight, regaining mobility, energy and health, remorse was a thing of the past. Now I'm grateful every day that I had the surgery.

I just had my appointment. They discussed risks, but I always like to hear from people that have had the procedure.

The consensus I’ve been getting is there are complications along the way occasionally but I haven’t met anyone that regretted it yet.

But that’s a good point of complications of being obese vs complications of the surgery.

Hello and welcome. I had the gastric bypass on June 22nd , 2020. My surgery and recovery could not have gone any better. I know many people have complications, but also, many don't. I have had no issues reintroducing foods, getting my liquid or protein in (past that first week). I have had challenges, mostly emotional but I would 100% recommend it. Especially if you have any of those complications that come from being obese.

Compared to most surgeries, the risks are low, but obviously still there. Many of us go through some anxiety about it, but an overwhelming amount of people have no issues, a small percentage have a few, and a really small percentage have more serious complications.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, but I don't plan on putting myself in that position. I feel so incredible and I'm so happy. I'm hyper-focused on continuing to solidify life-long habits so I feel this good for years and years to come.

If you are interested, I've been documenting my journey on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHy2q9OgUGY9tCbsZNKhDaw

Back