• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Constipation question

3momchaos

This seems like such an odd question, but can you be constipated and not feel it? I had a BM before surgery Monday morning. I haven’t had one since, but I’ve been passing gas. I don’t feel constipated, but they said a BM should be happening every 2-3 days at least. I added some miralax to my protein shake yesterday and this morning. Not through this mornings drink yet, but nothing seem to be anything happening. I have heard a few gurgles though.

I didn't have my first until 5 days after my surgery. It was kind of hit or miss after that. My doctor said to take Milk of Magnesia early on, but at my three week appointment I was told to take Benefiber (for bulk) and Miralax (to soften). I now mix the fiber with my first water in the morning and the Miralax with my evening drink.

I was doing well for a while (I even had 3 in one day!) and then I got hemorrhoids. I don't know if it was related to my surgery or not because I had them once before about 2 years ago, but that was a pain in the...

Anyway, stick with the Miralax, and ask your doctor if you can add a little fiber to your liquids yet. There's always a lag, so don't stop once things start moving again or you'll just be in the same boat in a few days.

Good luck!

Hi. Since you're on a liquid diet, you're not going to feel the normal bloating and discomfort associated with constipation as quickly as you would if you were eating solid food. So, in a word, yes. However, a few days without a BM is not necessarily dangerous so I wouldn't worry just yet. If things aren't moving by Monday (or tomorrow if you're uncomfortable) give your surgeon a call and see what he/she suggests.

You have to realize there's not much going in, so there's not going to be much coming out except air. Protein powder doesn't amount to much in the end. (ha)
LOL That’s what I was figuring, but when they said there should be a BM every 2-3 days, I was surprised since pretty much everything going in is being used! I’m staying hydrated, but I’m even peeing less. I’ll worry about it if I become uncomfortable or lasts a few more days.

It took about 5 days for me, and I was never really uncomfortable, but they did have me stake a stronger laxative at that time to get things moving.

I’m not as much worried about constipation at this point than the complete opposite LOL I have my one week post op Tuesday morning, and I’ll talk to the NP then about what I should be expecting in the bathroom.

I’m not as much worried about constipation at this point than the complete opposite LOL I have my one week post op Tuesday morning, and I’ll talk to the NP then about what I should be expecting in the bathroom.
Yeah, I had to deal with both during the first two weeks, but then things got much better after I started eating things with fiber again, even in the puree stage.

Back