• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Constipation

Hello,
It will be 6 weeks since my Gastric-sleeve surgery tomorrow. I am happy to say I have had NO problems except one...constipation. I have not yet found a food that I cannot eat. I exercise daily. I drink at least 64 ounces of water. I was on a constipation "plan" where I was to use stool softeners and Metamucil clear and natural daily. They wanted me going every 3 days, but I was still needed a laxative to go. Last week, my dietician said to cut out my protein shakes for just a few days and add more natural fiber to my diet. So, since Friday to add fiber, I've had baked beans, garbanzo beans, oatmeal, apple, berries, high fiber tortilla shell, salad, veggies, etc. and I still needed a laxative to go. Any suggestions??

Thanks for responding! I did that and they simply told me I was doing everything right that sometimes it just takes a while for your body to adjust. I hope it won't be too much longer.

I have found that if I take an omega 3-6-9 complex it really helps. I do not understand how fish oil helps because it is supposed to be for other stuff but I am just thankful it helps me.

Jayhawkgirl-I'm slightly past 11 months post surgery and still need to take stool softeners every day. I also occasionally use Milk of Magnesia (generic brand). A high protein diet causes constipation and there isn't too much you can do about it except to add some fiberous foods but because of the small amount we are able to eat you will still need the extra help of a stool softener and occasional use of a stimulant like M of M. I would stay away from laxatives though, they are habit forming.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I'm still using the stool softener, a probiotic, and the natural fiber in my foods, and I go back to my surgeon for a follow-up next week. I think things might be getting a little better finally, but I'm just going to keep at trying to follow their suggestions to get things back to normal.

Back