• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Consultation today.

Nancy13

My first visit very excited and so far like my doctor. My biggest fear is the psychological part l have anxiety and panic attacks. I have been to many therapists and never any relief. But, the good thing is l haven’t had a panic attack in well over a month. I am just worried they will want me to go for more therapy. My primary care doctor is helping me with my anxiety.

Nancy, I'm not a shrink, but I see one. I have been in therapy since the 1970s. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, OCD and PTSD, among other things. I had an extremely abusive mother. I take medications daily and I'm grateful for them because they allow me to lead a normal life where I am not thinking about killing myself every 5 minutes.

I also suffer panic attacks and they are awful. I am about to change to a different sedative because my sedative I'm taking now hasn't really been helpful for a while. I am really grateful for sedatives though, and on balance, I would rather have a sedative than a panic attack.

Some of us are dealt an unfair hand, but that's the hand we have to play. It's not easy and sometimes it seems giving in is the best solution. But it is possible to find ways to feel better. Some of them are pharmaceutical and some of them are mental.

It helps me to know that I can choose. Either I can spend my day in a funk, see-sawing from one mood to another, or I can take a cue from every mood shift and decide whether or not I want to wallow or rally. I'm not always successful, of course. So when I overpower a demon, I feel twice as proud.

I wish you the best in managing your panic and your anxiety. It can be done. And along with a successful weight loss and improving your health, it will happen.

I was really nervous going into the counselor, but I told her that from the get go, and she understood. We first talked about why I was nervous, massive life change(!), and why it was important to me to have the surgery. We went over my concerns, history of weight loss attempts, support system, and goals. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have anxiety as well, and my primary is who helps with that also. It’s pretty normal to be nervous for this appointment.

Back