• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Contiplating Surgery

Hello I am currently schedule for surgery on December 12 2019 and quiet worried. I wanted some feedback from individuals that had surgery and their experience. I am just wondering how life will be post-op. I am aware of the pros and cons but still on the edge if I bariatric surgery is for me. I have tried every diet possible and have lost weight but gained what I have lost and more. Is it normal to question the surgery the closer the date comes. I would love from feedback from someone that has gone through bariatric surgery. Thank You

Yes! It's totally normal to question, worry, and even freak out a little! Read some old posts and you'll see many of us at our presurgery jittery best!
For your question on how life will be....some things are way different, some things are not. The main focus is getting enough water, protein and your vitamins. You will get used to it quickly! It's a total shift about everything that enters your body. You will be focused on what your body needs to have to heal and survive. Good luck, prepare your best but there will be surprises because all of our bodies are different. For me I have gas for the first time ever, tmi lol. I actively avoid brocolli some days. I cook a lot more then I used to also.

Hi Misscali
I had my sleeve done a month ago. I have lost 30 pounds so far. I can tell you that it has been the best decision I have ever made! What surgery are you having? I'm in northern California had my surgery at Stanford. I was nervous too but complete faith in my doctor! You will find many of us pleased with our decision! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hello I am currently schedule for surgery on December 12 2019 and quiet worried. I wanted some feedback from individuals that had surgery and their experience. I am just wondering how life will be post-op. I am aware of the pros and cons but still on the edge if I bariatric surgery is for me. I have tried every diet possible and have lost weight but gained what I have lost and more. Is it normal to question the surgery the closer the date comes. I would love from feedback from someone that has gone through bariatric surgery. Thank You
I'm with Redy, this has been the best decision I've ever made. It's not easy but as long as you follow doctor's orders, you're guaranteed to loose the weight and become a healthier you. :)

Thank you for your feedback. I an stuck in between the sleeve or bypass. I am getting a EGD done to make my final decision. I somewhat suffer from acid reflux and my doctor stated bypass would be the best option for me since the sleeve has a higher rate of acid reflux happening post-op. depending in my exam he will advise me if the sleeve is good for me or not.

Yes! It's totally normal to question, worry, and even freak out a little! Read some old posts and you'll see many of us at our presurgery jittery best!
For your question on how life will be....some things are way different, some things are not. The main focus is getting enough water, protein and your vitamins. You will get used to it quickly! It's a total shift about everything that enters your body. You will be focused on what your body needs to have to heal and survive. Good luck, prepare your best but there will be surprises because all of our bodies are different. For me I have gas for the first time ever, tmi lol. I actively avoid brocolli some days. I cook a lot more then I used to also.
Thank you for your feedback greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your feedback. I an stuck in between the sleeve or bypass. I am getting a EGD done to make my final decision. I somewhat suffer from acid reflux and my doctor stated bypass would be the best option for me since the sleeve has a higher rate of acid reflux happening post-op. depending in my exam he will advise me if the sleeve is good for me or not.
I wish you the best of luck with this decision. We're here if you have any questions. :)

I'm 4.5 weeks post sleeve, and this is the best thing I've ever done. Yes, there were some rough days the first week and the liquid / puree diet can feel like punishment but there is an "end" date. There is also some amount of shame in thinking I took the easy road via surgery but I also power through that and know that I did what I had to do, for me, damn what others might think.
I'm down over 40 lbs, I feel amazing, all of my co-morbidity's are already back to normal ranges and it's been the easiest weight I've ever lost. I get full after literally 3 maybe 4 bites, and stay full for hours and hours, completely satiated and satisfied. I've already gotten active again, running/jogging 2 miles this very morning & hitting the weights. I am so very excited and eager about what tomorrow brings. It has been a long time since I felt that way.

I am three and a half months out of Gastric Bypass. I think it has been a great decision for me to have the surgery.
I have not had any issues at all. I have been able to eat most everything except for ice cream ( which I really don't need). I was so worried about dumping but luckily have not had any of that.

It is very scary but i think at some point you just accept you decision and all the fear goes away, at least for me it did.

Wish you the best of luck.

Hello Miscali49. I had lap band surgery in 2009 then had revision surgery to gastric bypass in 2012. I, like you, tried all kinds of diets and drugs through the years. Spent lots of money on Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. I lost a lot of weight but always regained. When I reached my 50th birthday I knew I needed to do something drastic about my weight so that I could maybe live the rest of my life a bit healthier. It was one of the best decisions of my life! I realized I needed help. Drastic help. Yes it is very scary but I have never regretted my decision. I wish you all the best.

I am only 10 days post op, but I personally found it to be the only thing for me that will help me keep off any of the weight I lose. I have been obese for about 15 years now. There comes a point when all the willpower and yo-yoing gets to be too much.
Go with your gut.

Only you can weigh the amount of fear versus the amount of excitement. But seriously, do not do it if you are feeling and intense fear. Your body might be telling you that this is not the right choice for you. You need to sit down quietly and sort it out in your mind. Or better yet, make a list. Draw a line down the middle of a page and on one side write all the good feelings you have when you think about surgery. On the other side right all the bad feelings you have when you think about surgery. For most people it is a wonderful solution. But for others, depending on the state of your body and your personal strengths, not to mention your inner strength, it is a horrible idea. Don't have the surgery unless your combination of feelings makes you feel secure about doing it, even though you have to get past the fear.

Back