• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Craving sweets......

Help I need help! Im craving sweets again, i really dislike this feeling. anyone else have this problem? what do you do?

When I'm craving sweets, I give in to it. If I don't, I'm likely to do something worse later.

I find something that will be sweet on the tastebuds but not on the tummy. Usually a beverage, Crystal Lite, Sqwincher, Propel 0, Hawaiian Punch, CoolAid, there are a bunch of non-carbonated ones out there. The sweeter, the better. And the first few sips I take, I kind of roll it around in my mouth, making sure to touch all possible taste buds. Sometimes I like a sugar free hard candy, just one, to be slowly dissolved in the mouth.

It also helps to move, if nothing more than walking out to the back yard and back in again. The worst of most any craving will pass in two minutes, if you can find some way to hang in. And there's always a way. You just have to find what works for you.

Nearly 100 pounds gone, Crymsynslady? Wow!!! Just look what you've done!

Crymsynslady-I know exactly what you're going through. I find a small piece of fruit satisfies the sweet craving. I usually have an apple or plum. If I don't have any fresh fruit I eat canned peaches or pears packed in fruit juice (small can). I use the rest of the canned fruit over the course of the next 3 or 4 days with cottage cheese sweetened with a pack of Splenda for breakfast. It's one of my favorite meals :) :) :)

I found a great way to satisfy cravings for sweets or for something specific like chocolate :) At least it worked for me! Yesterday I came across a package of chocolate cherry flavored coffee and fired up my coffee maker. I measured out enough to make one large cup. I can’t tell you how wonderful it tasted. Since I drink my coffee with sweetener (and creamer) it also fixed my sweet craving.

I know some people can’t drink coffee so you might try getting sugar free syrups to add to hot chocolate or make a smoothie (or add to coffee). If you use only ice and water in your smoothie it will have little or no calories :) :) :) I mix 2 or 3 teaspoons of dry coffee creamer in my water smoothies to make them taste better. Any electric blender will mix the dry creamer with the water and ice very well.

You can buy sugar free syrups from the store on this forum or from netrition.com or other on-line bariatric store. Some grocery and specialty stores also carry them. Netrition.com offers complete nutritional and ingredient information on all of the products they offer so you can check carbs, fats, protein, sweetener types, allergens, caffeine, sodium, etc.

Although I love Jello it takes way too long to set before you can eat it. By that time I would be too tempted to eat the bad stuff *LOL* I always keep a little something bad in the house in case someone drops by for a visit. Plus, I have some great neighbors who help me out from time to time and I give them sweet treats in exchange for their services. I like to bake and then give it to the people who help me. The single guy next door likes it, especially when his little girl is there for the weekend and the other guy 2 doors away loves baked goods, especially muffins and cookies. Apparently his wife doesn't bake (she weighs about 95 pounds) so it's a real treat for him.

I am struggling with this same issue and it doesn't pass in two mins. LOL!!! But thank God I do not have anything in the house because I would be in big trouble. LOL!!!

Hopeful-I totally agree with you, those cravings stick around for a while and when they hit it's hard to think about anything else. I found myself drinking the chocolate cherry coffee again Thursday night and I only have enough left for one more thermal cupfull. I have no idea what to do after that *LOL*

Back