• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

cravings are crazy bad

So I have been in a weight loss slump so to speak. Loosing and gaining the same five pounds over and over. It is to the point where I am thinking I could be one of the people that losses some of the weight then stops. Well I can't let that happen. I decided to make some changes. First I updated to the polar Ft 60 to find out just how fit I am and how many calories I burn. The next thing I did was to write down every little bite of food and look over my weight loss chart to see what changed to cause the weight stall. OMG what I found was crazy. About a little over a month ago I started drinking decaf coffee with non-dairy creamer. This is when the cravings for carbs started. Not that I eat tons of carbs but would instead have a cracker in passing or something like that. The cravings are now so bad that I am starting over. Today I started the pouch test. Zero carbs for two days with only protein shakes to drink. I hope this is healthy as I keep questioning it. I must admit, one day into it and my energy is through the roof.

Questions:
Has anyone tried the five day pouch test or ask their team about it?
Did anyone with success ever hit a plateau that lasted almost two months? If so how did you power past it?
Is it okay to live on the protein shakes for two days?
Any advice here would be welcome.

I am determined to get past this. BTW yes I am measuring and lost some inches but now that has slowed as well. I just need to see some positive results.
Average stats
Protein 70-75 grams per day
Calories 900 to 1000 per day
Workout 45 min cardio ever other day and yoga every other day
weight messing with my head up to 206 down to 202 for the past couple of months

OK the living on protein shakes for 2 days is great... I lived on protein shakes for almost 21 days straight through pre op - and for several weeks post op.

My protein number is 85 to 90 per day based on my height and age... My nut and surgeon set this number for me.

Have you tried increasing your protein and switching up your type of physical activity for a couple of days / a week or so to see if maybe your body went into self preservation / starvation mode from not getting enough protein and nutrients?

Sometimes just changing the type of exercise to a more physically challenging type of exercise can switch your motor back on...

I have been switching between T25, spinning and other videos. I did find some things in my diet that were not the best choice to have. I started the pouch test and will up the workout time again. One of the biggest things I found was that I need to stop drinking coffee with non-dairy creamer. It seams there is sugar and other bad things in that stuff. The label says 10 calories per teaspoon. Well I thought that was tablespoon, I mean come on who drinks coffee with a teaspoon of creamer what is the point. Well it was adding 90+calories to my daily intake and I wasn't counting that. I found a few other things to get rid of so we shall see how this goes. I just don't want to do something stupid that causes a spiral effect. My nutritionist said no diets to make the weight come of by doing things that can be lived with forever. The thought of drinking protein isn't something I can do forever, however it seams to be helping those cravings. It has only been 2 days without carbs and I weighed in at 201 which is a five pound difference. Yes I know that weight that often is bad but I felt thin this morning. Thanks for the help Stinkerbelle.

Ps I am putting the scale away until Saturday which is my weigh in day
No processed carbs in the house
Getting the slow cooker ready to prep some moist healthy high protein meals.

I think your body has decided you are starving and is trying to hold on to your weight. When this happens to me I change my diet for a couple days. Like one time I had a little spaghetti two days in a row. Now on my diet I normally never eat spaghetti, never ever. This confused my body and when I went right back to my eating plan, which is mainly protein, then I started losing weight again. You have done absolutely wonderful losing your weight!!! Just don't get discouraged, look how far you have come. AWESOME!!! :)

Cheyenne

Congratulations on identifying your triggers, figuring out what was wrong with your meal plan, and deciding to fix it. You will do great!

Big huge thank you and hug to all for the support. I am determined to do this. I am finishing my second day of the 5 day pouch test and feeling carb withdraws. Those tiny single bites add up. I managed to do my own creation of a circuit training today. The power went out leaving me without the dvd so did 30 min workout from extreme makeover weight-loss addition, (power went out) jumped on my spinning bike for 30 minutes and did 15 minutes of kettle ball for strength. I didn't let something so simple as no power keep me from getting in my hour workout. At the end my heart-rate was level 2 and 3 and I burned 33% fat with 567 calories burned. I feel so accomplished today. Now if I can stay off the dang scale until Saturday.

I have to make this about being healthy and not about a number on the scale.

Happiness to all

First of all, you have lost 120 pounds !!!

CONGRATULATIONS !!

Yes, as we get closer to proper weight the process does slow down. And yes it sounds like you are letting too many carbs back into your diet. And yes, you have to be careful. But then I see that you are only averaging around 900 to 1000 calories per day anyhow ????

Lot of good thoughts too.

Oh, don't worry about being only on protein shakes for 5 days. Yes, I would extend the time period; make like you are doing your 2 week preop. See if that shakes things up.

Then when you go back to your day to day eating, control the amount of carbs you are taking in. We are doing low carb. So, keep it low.

You say you are measuring everything you consume. Do you have a good site for that? Does your site do a complete analysis of vitamins and protein and carbs and fat, etc., etc.,

In case you need a good site here it is: www.caloriecount.com.

I would keep the carbs below 60grams a day or lower if you can. Maybe even lower. This might shake things up.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I'm in a similar place

Hello! I decided to read the recent posts before I put in my own...and you read my mind!!!! I am now 8 weeks post op. I lost 40 lbs in the first 4-5 weeks but have been stuck between 341 and 342 since then. I also stopped my food diary and have begun to "graze" a bit. I'm not waiting 4 hours to eat. I'm not getting enough protein, and I'm not getting my water in. I can only speak for myself---I got cocky!

I'm going to follow your example and get back to basics..... and the 2 day shake idea is wonderful!
Thanks!
Mimi G

Update
I am day four of the pouch test. I wasn't going to weigh until Saturday but woke up feeling well different so I peaked. Wait for it I am at 199 omg ONEDERLAND. I can't believe it! This is so great!!!! Yesterday I ate pure protein and some chili with beans. (fiber) At the end of the day I decided to workout and managed to cycle 50 miles. One year ago I can remember not being able to walk one block without being winded. I hate to bore you all but I am so happy and even did a victory dance on the scale.
Just so HAPPY

@mimi G do it! Go for it. Being on track is a wonderful feeling.

Update
I am day four of the pouch test. I wasn't going to weigh until Saturday but woke up feeling well different so I peaked. Wait for it I am at 199 omg ONEDERLAND. I can't believe it! This is so great!!!! Yesterday I ate pure protein and some chili with beans. (fiber) At the end of the day I decided to workout and managed to cycle 50 miles. One year ago I can remember not being able to walk one block without being winded. I hate to bore you all but I am so happy and even did a victory dance on the scale.
Just so HAPPY

@mimi G do it! Go for it. Being on track is a wonderful feeling.

Hey a celebration here is never boring. I am so happy for you. You stuck to your plan and you are continuing to succeed.

This should also help you reflect on how to move forward and what you will consume or more importantly NOT consume.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Ralph

Thanks Ralph

looks like you will get to find what it feels like to see a number starting with 1 on your scale soon enough!

It is great talking with someone so positive :)

Thanks Ralph

looks like you will get to find what it feels like to see a number starting with 1 on your scale soon enough!

It is great talking with someone so positive :)

Yes.

I cannot believe it myself. However, it is happening.

Just follow the plan.

Everything else will take care of itself.

Thanks.

Ralph

My goodness, are you hiding in my bedroom??? Ok, I am 5 years out!!!!!! I was 405 when I started. I got down to 195 at my lowest. I am back up to 240 - but its been 5 years - not bad, but when I think of it, if I gain 8 pounds a year for another 5 - geeezzzzzzzzz - NOT HAPPENING!!!

Ok, so I used to post here and on another site daily, I used to go to teh gym, 4 to 7 days a week depending on my job schedule. I used to keep a food diary. I now do none of those things. I am currently working 2 jobs to pay the bills. One of which is a restaurant - ugh, yes food - I was eating very late at night and a ton of carbs.

You see, I don't tolerate hard protein very well at all. One job feeds me daily, which means I get the standard employee meal, which is high in carbs - potatoes, bread etc. I can now eat most anything I want, and in decent sized quantities -OOPS!!

I forgot everything I learned nd my old food addicted habits are rearing their heads. BUT I am in recovery and will not be defeated.

So here is my plan --I started the 5 day pouch test this past Monday, yes, yesterday. I have done well with liquid only. And yes, you can live on protein drinks for several days, weeks even. But alas, egg drop soup, coffee, water, and jello have been my meals, along with a protein shake.

after I finish this week off, I will remain on just protein for another week, I think - no carbs. you see, I was blessed that while I never craved chips and things pre-surgery, it was always sugary desserts, cookies etc. I don't eat desserts now, just chips, popcorn etc. easy to snack on at work. Or the rolls from my second job. So I have to break that carb cycle that I was in, thusly no carbs for at least another week.

Exercise is the other thing. Do to funds and time I have not gone to the gym in a year. I need to work out. I have to find a way to get some exercise. My surgeon told me that he had a weight gain of 30 pounds 2 years out, when he quit going to the gym. I know mine is a lot of that as my shape has changed a lot more than the scale, the muscle is gone and fat is back, ugh, my boobs are back, ugh!!!

So for you, and your issues, change up that exercise, yes, the 5 day pouch test should work, keep the carbs out of your diet. We mostly like them in it since they are usually easy to digest. If, you don't stay in onederland, don't be surprised. I found during my journey that my two biggest platues were at 300 pounds and 200 pounds. It does sound like you hit that big one at 200 pounds. Now you are past it, but busting it way past so that monthly fluctuation doesn't discourage you, as it did me, will be the hardest. Keep us posted as to how you are.

I am going to start an exercise challenge post, so look for it in a bit. I found before that when I posted here I was going to exercise, people always asked did I do it, and then I was motivated to get back on the bike or walk the track or do some swimming. Keep up your workout. That cardio is important for you metabolism.

You are on the right track, keep it up. Thanks for reading my post. I already feel motivated to keep up this pouch test. About a half hour ago I was thinking of finding something a bit more substantial than a protein shake - cheating no one but myself!!!

Hello Handsam we are here to help you too!

My goodness, are you hiding in my bedroom??? Ok, I am 5 years out!!!!!! I was 405 when I started. I got down to 195 at my lowest. I am back up to 240 - but its been 5 years - not bad, but when I think of it, if I gain 8 pounds a year for another 5 - geeezzzzzzzzz - NOT HAPPENING!!!

Ok, so I used to post here and on another site daily, I used to go to teh gym, 4 to 7 days a week depending on my job schedule. I used to keep a food diary. I now do none of those things. I am currently working 2 jobs to pay the bills. One of which is a restaurant - ugh, yes food - I was eating very late at night and a ton of carbs.

You see, I don't tolerate hard protein very well at all. One job feeds me daily, which means I get the standard employee meal, which is high in carbs - potatoes, bread etc. I can now eat most anything I want, and in decent sized quantities -OOPS!!

I forgot everything I learned nd my old food addicted habits are rearing their heads. BUT I am in recovery and will not be defeated.

So here is my plan --I started the 5 day pouch test this past Monday, yes, yesterday. I have done well with liquid only. And yes, you can live on protein drinks for several days, weeks even. But alas, egg drop soup, coffee, water, and jello have been my meals, along with a protein shake.

after I finish this week off, I will remain on just protein for another week, I think - no carbs. you see, I was blessed that while I never craved chips and things pre-surgery, it was always sugary desserts, cookies etc. I don't eat desserts now, just chips, popcorn etc. easy to snack on at work. Or the rolls from my second job. So I have to break that carb cycle that I was in, thusly no carbs for at least another week.

Exercise is the other thing. Do to funds and time I have not gone to the gym in a year. I need to work out. I have to find a way to get some exercise. My surgeon told me that he had a weight gain of 30 pounds 2 years out, when he quit going to the gym. I know mine is a lot of that as my shape has changed a lot more than the scale, the muscle is gone and fat is back, ugh, my boobs are back, ugh!!!

So for you, and your issues, change up that exercise, yes, the 5 day pouch test should work, keep the carbs out of your diet. We mostly like them in it since they are usually easy to digest. If, you don't stay in onederland, don't be surprised. I found during my journey that my two biggest platues were at 300 pounds and 200 pounds. It does sound like you hit that big one at 200 pounds. Now you are past it, but busting it way past so that monthly fluctuation doesn't discourage you, as it did me, will be the hardest. Keep us posted as to how you are.

I am going to start an exercise challenge post, so look for it in a bit. I found before that when I posted here I was going to exercise, people always asked did I do it, and then I was motivated to get back on the bike or walk the track or do some swimming. Keep up your workout. That cardio is important for you metabolism.

You are on the right track, keep it up. Thanks for reading my post. I already feel motivated to keep up this pouch test. About a half hour ago I was thinking of finding something a bit more substantial than a protein shake - cheating no one but myself!!!

Hi,

I go to a local bariatric support group too. This is so important. Get back into a local group.

I am so happy that you have had the courage to "re-introduce" yourself here. You can continue with your success and get back into good habits. I hear you about working, no time or money for a gym membership these days. Well, you can still walk. So please get out and walk. You can still climb stairs to find some stairs you can climb for an 10 minutes or so each day.

Get back into it. Don't let yourself be beaten. This is why if you find a local bariatric support group they can also help you in person.

Be well.

Best wishes,

Ralph

unfortunately where I live, there is no local bariatric support group. I had my surgery 200 miles away. The closest surgeon is over 100 miles away. It might be good for me to start a support group here. If only I could find the time to regularly have meetings. would once a month be enough?

unfortunately where I live, there is no local bariatric support group. I had my surgery 200 miles away. The closest surgeon is over 100 miles away. It might be good for me to start a support group here. If only I could find the time to regularly have meetings. would once a month be enough?

I see.

So you have this group. Keep coming here often.

Talk to us.

Tell us how you are doing. Ask questions? Look for help; we will provide it.

I would contact your surgeon and ask if there are a reasonable number of patients in your area that might allow for forming a support group. Even if you figured all this out and each of you took turns having the group to their home or even a public library.

In the meantime, we are here.

Is once a month enough. I would say it is minimum. However, I don't have enough experience myself on that topic. I know there are several members of the local support group that I attend that go to as many meetings as they can.

Ralph

Good for you, CALQL84HEALTH. Glad to read that you are doing well.
Don't want to get anyone down, but, I'm getting really scared when you talk so much about exercise. I'm in a wheelchair, what kind of exercise can I do? What I'd like to do after surgery is to get my doctor to put me in Physical Therapy, at least there I will be watched and will be able to work on static standing and walking more with my walker. Will that be enough to start or am I doomed from that get-go?
I go to CC for the seminar tomorrow. I got the questionnaire filled out and in the mail yesterday. The next step is to wait 10 to 14 days to be called/contacted as to if I'm accepted or rejected for the gastric-by-pass surgery. I'm really nervous now.
jduffy

Don't want to get anyone down, but, I'm getting really scared when you talk so much about exercise. I'm in a wheelchair, what kind of exercise can I do? What I'd like to do after surgery is to get my doctor to put me in Physical Therapy, at least there I will be watched and will be able to work on static standing and walking more with my walker. Will that be enough to start or am I doomed from that get-go?
I go to CC for the seminar tomorrow. I got the questionnaire filled out and in the mail yesterday. The next step is to wait 10 to 14 days to be call ed/contacted as to if I'm accepted or rejected for the gastric-by-pass surgery. I'm really nervous now.
jduffy

Almost all the weight I have lost is from diet alone without exercise. I have bone on bone arthritic knees and I can walk somewhat but if I overdo it then the next day I can hardly move. As soon as I get down around 200 lb I am planning on getting my knees fixed and then I hope to do some serious walking. I'm sure exercise plus dieting will produce faster results but now I can only do what I can do. You are in a wheelchair so you can only do what you can do. Once you lose some weight possibly you can work up to doing some type of exercises but right now the diet is the important thing for you. It will work out, you can do this. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

thanks for the encouragement. Are you still on the protein diet? It is always nice to hear from others that the scale stalled but didn't stop.

I go to CC for the seminar tomorrow. I got the questionnaire filled out and in the mail yesterday. The next step is to wait 10 to 14 days to be called/contacted as to if I'm accepted or rejected for the gastric-by-pass surgery. I'm really nervous now.
jduffy

The surgeon I used wants his patents to be able to exercise to avoid blood clots. The thing is it can be one those videos you do from a chair. Make a list of all the questions you have and take them with you when you go to the information seminar. The excitement and fear of the process will make you forget all your questions.

Good luck

Back